Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupidly applied for wrong job

• 23-06-2024 5:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I recently had an interview and it went really well, I hope. They are still conducting interviews so I haven’t heard anything back yet. There is another role that I should have applied for within the same company, but didn’t, would it be cheeky to be asked to be considered for an interview for the other role? Both roles are very closely aligned. It’s an external recruitment agency conducting the interviews.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Apply for both, work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DaireMacC

Thanks for your reply.
    The deadline for the other position has passed. I was wondering if I could ask to be considered for the other, very similar, but even more ideal position. Or would I be shooting myself in the foot- twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Sometimes vacancies aren't filled because they don't get the right calibre of candidate. As long as you can justify why you didn't apply for it, without making yourself look too bad, then what's the worst that could happen?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Look you need to get your story straight, you did not apply for the wrong job, you are trying to get yourself in the running for a job that is already closed, which presumably is through the same agency…

And at this stage all you have done is an interview with an agency whose objective is to put forward a selection of candidates they are confident will meet the employer's requirements so that they (employer) does not was time on unsuitable or uncommitted candidates for this position. You are their (agency) meal ticket, so if they feel you are not committed, then they may decide to leave you off the list.

If I was the agent and I have done this job in the past, I would not put you forward because you might screw up my relationship with the client and costing fees, commissions or even the client.

Applying for jobs through agents is not the same as applying to the employer directly. The agents have a different commercial objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Squatman

dont think this advice is in line with the current market place. if i look at the calibre of roles directed my way, from agencies via linkedin, if theres a scent of an overlap, im asked to discuss with agency., - depending on the sector i suppose, but its an employees market at the minute in my sector.

• Advertisement
Advertisement