Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭1123heavy

What "act" are they getting in on exactly, and who? The pilots? The company? Doing what?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭gossamerfabric

I transferred through Stansted on Saturday and will do so again next month. queues were quite short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Profiteering off people’s pain on the other hand won’t be forgotten as quickly.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Unless another airline magically appears in the coming months i can gaurentee this will in no way have any significant adverse effect to future bookings with EI.

I know plenty of people believe it or not who even refuse to fly FR.

All will be forgiven and forgotten soon enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

these flights are dear but if people are happy to pay, they at least get to where they want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A seat sale tends to be good at erasing memories.

One only has to look at all the **** they've pulled over the years and their planes are still packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dude seems to be only telling the truth.

Has been a lot of 'sickness' amongst the pilot cohort recently.

All it takes is one pilot to claim they are 'fatigued' then with a work to rule there goes the flight.

Lets deal with the facts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭pureza

I do believe the trainee pilots deserve a good Rise,those on sub 40k basic

But the guys on north of 100k should take the 12.5%

The lads north of 200k or 300k are just being selfish probably including that IALPA boss with the smug smile ?

Im making no comment on whether the pilots deserve what they want or not.

All I am saying is that flights being cancelled at the gate given the strict work to rule being operated is not

a myth put out by Moriarty. It can and will happen if this continues on.

Scaremongering its not.

• Advertisement

So ei will allow you to change your flight to a later date free of charge. Why not allow you move earlier for same.

Both sides are off to the labour court tomorrow but separate meetings. Hopefully for everyone sake it’s the start of the end of this

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Pilots are in the same boat as ATCOs regarding illness. It is illegal for us to show up to work knowingly unwell with anything that could affect performance of our duties. If you do so and make a mistake, all the consequences are on the licence holder, not the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

that’s consistent though; it’s understandable that pilots will “cancel” in circumstances like this and in the past others would agree to work at short notice. It’s that latter aspect which won’t be available so presumably the report of potential cancellations at the point of boarding makes sense - hopefully rare but there must be statistics on how many pilots have to cancel on an average day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The evidence for "lots of sickness" among the pilot cohort is an Aer Lingus statement.

"Fatigue" is very different to calling in sick.

A Fatigue claim gets investigated, even without a work to rule in place.

Aer Lingus already had a strict sick leave policy. They have announced they will investigate every flight crew illness report.

Sufficient resources in place should cover illness and prevent cancellations at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I wish you'd take your own advice and only deal with the facts. There is no evidence that the level of sickness amongst the pilots has increased as of late, nor would the pilot body be stupid enough to take unofficial industrial action of that sort at any stage, let alone at a point where they have legitimate action on the horizon and every move they make is being scrutinised. Aer Lingus would take any opportunity to bring IALPA to the high court and the pilots know that.

The only source for this claim is Moriarty and he hasn't provided any numbers to back up his claim. Odd, don't you think, considering he's all over the media with figures and percentages for pilot pay, including breaking down the top 200 pilot's salaries into groups. Why wouldn't he say that the pilot sickness has increased by X amount over the norm if it was true? Because it's BS.

I’m taking it that a senior management would not say this on the airwaves as to rebut it should be quite easy.

I’m aware that ‘fatigue’ is different but it happens, not often but it does.

“Sufficient resources should be in place……” Would that it was that simple , especially in a rather bitter dispute, in an operational heavy industry at peak period traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sailing

It’s a legal requirement to have enough resources to cover your schedule as part of your AOC. That for non aviation folk is your license to operate.

I don’t believe Aer lingus have the resources and are using the “pilot sick” card to mask the deficiencies.

An IAA audit would soon determine who is telling the truth and who isn’t.

One really has to question how so many flights are cancelled for pilots simply working their contracts.

Something amiss here.

It’s almost astonishing at this stage that the CEO, as the accountable manager is still absent. A position that commands a high seven figure package.

Can you imagine Christop Mulleur, Willie Walsh or Michael O Leary hiding in similar circumstances, whatever their position would be on it?

Lot of broad brush comment here . I’m sure Ei would be compliant in that respect but circumstances might

throw up pinch points, as in any operational industry.

If I doubt if EI would use a “pilot sick” card in this respect as stats would be easily available

to indicate yes or no on this issue.

Bit of balance required here I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sailing

I believe it’s completely balanced and as suggested an IAA audit of the current resources would determine which side is telling the truth.

• Advertisement

You keep mentioning this sick card and fatigue.

Do you have any stats on the sick leave or analysis YoY? Anything?

Are you also aware of the potential dangers of a pilot flying feeling fatigued(or sick)? TA pilots flying during the window if circadian low(potentially feeling fatigued)?

Are pilots being given the necessary rest periods? Do you know the answer for sure?

You keep referring back to management or other sources. I'm not sure what your problem is with EI pilots.

Now, i have no skin in the game. ZERO. But if you want to argue a point, back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

Willie Walsh was just interviewed on Morning Ireland.

When asked as an ex pilot would he take the pilots side here, he said no, because in all his time he has never seen a group looking for such a rise.

Is it still 7 days notice if the pilots add another strike day?

He's full of sh!t that fella

United Airlines and its pilots’ union have agreed to a preliminary labor deal that includes pay increases of as much as 40.2% over four years, ending months of tense negotiations and airport pickets. The deal makes United’s aviators the latest from a major airline to reach an agreement for higher wages amid the post-pandemic travel boom.

Now in essence, what the EI pilots are looking for with this 23% pay rise, is retrospective going back to 2019 when they last received a pay increase. I know their scale is incremental, but that is industry standards, seperate to annual pay review other airlines receive.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If they come to an agreement, will it still be too late for this weekend to keep things going?

They aren't even talking to each other. I would forget about this weekend.

They seem miles apart anyway and seems to be very little goodwill about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I think it needs to be mentioned that any pay deal will be structured over a number of years which is the norm in aviation, so when broken down it’s not much different to what the average office worker would get annually! The average payrise in Ireland per annum is around 4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CoisFharraige

Exactly. Unfortunately this "exorbitant" pay rise is as a result of AL refusing to or dragging out negotiations for the last 2 years, and not entering into discussions in the last 5 years. If I hadn't gotten a bump up in my salary levels in that time (I am also in a profession where we have increments), you can be sure as hell I wouldn't be hanging around the place.

Silly interviewer.

Willie hasn't been an active pilot since the mid 1990s.

He presided over massive salary increases for IAG executives. Perhaps he think they are emotionally from scrutiny.

• Advertisement

Advertisement