Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick VW Golf question

• 24-06-2024 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Morning all

I'm looking to replace my aging Corsa with a ~2015/16 Golf-size petrol auto. Preferably small engine. Surprisingly, there appears to be a raft of actual Golfs for sale in this range - reasonably-ish priced and we'll equipped.

Is there a catch here !, or something I should specifically look out for ?. I'm just surprised there are so many - as I expected to have to cast the net wider.

Thanks, K

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The Golf is a popular car hence so many for sale about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

The reason there is so many is because Brexit cut off our supply of used cars so dealers in this category have to buy from Japan instead. Japan is full of petrol automatics hence why there is so many of them available to buy here now. 5 years ago it would be all manual diesels from the UK

There is nothing to be concerned about tho. They are the exact same as an Irish or UK imported Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

Thanks both - and good to know. I would have had a concern with Jap imports - probably harping back to the old days re: parts, spec and insurance - maybe an outdated view now. And perhaps the availability has challenged the prices of the actual Irish cars as well ?.

I can look at what's available without seeing shadows 😀. Other than the usual checks.

Thanks, K

Yes mostly outdated. I import these Golfs all the time and there is no issue getting parts. Insurance is the same and spec is the same. They are all built in Germany on the same production line. The only things to look out for would be getting the Japanese history, and getting the radios frequency updated. And the tyres, make sure they are EU tyres with E marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

One other thing please - are the references to "DBA-" indicating Japanese imports ?...while the more familiar Comfortline etc refer to Irish (or even UK) cars ??

Thanks, K

• Advertisement

Yes and no. Japanese ones do use a DBA code in the name but they also use Comfortline/Highline just like Irish models.

There are literally zero petrol automatic Golfs that are Irish. Every single one is Japanese apart from maybe 2 or 3 of them at a push

Advertisement