Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

is that a freight hub or a park & ride or both where i've marked X

looks a very impressive plan. congrats to all those working on it.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

are you on the gargle? this update is part of a planned communication strategy. its timing has nothing to do with the government.

the project will be going ahead with a planning submission expected next year. assuming we don't have another tiger meltdown spades will be going into the ground circa 2027.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

"planned communication strategy" - Please don't make me laugh - it's too late.

For over 40 years I've been driving from Cork to Limerick and back again and I can safely tell you that this is electioneering waffle -

2027 ? - Something more important inside the M50 will come along to sort out this

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nothing special here. The tolling is a sop to the Greens and obviously won't happen when they are shown the door after the election and the local politicians get involved.

The junctions are cheap and small and infected with roundabouts (a disease we have inherited from Britain and parts of the continent) instead of properly designed cloverleafs and cross junctions which could easily have been accomodated within at least some of the junction footprints.

Ironically enough it's the cyclists who should also be questioning the preponderance of roundabouts which don't go well for cycling and add distance and time to pedestrians and cyclists to navigate. Normal crossroads are far superior from every viewpoint but they don't want to pay for traffic lights.

Overall a continuation of the cheap "minimum we can get away with" conservative approach to infrastructure in Ireland.

It will be some help obviously but not impressive. The M1 is a far more impressive piece of road than this will be, for example, and it's not perfect.

The only positive (aside from the fact it will save lives) I can see is that those unused cycle lanes running along side some of the route could come in handy when adding third lane in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I can only assume you're trolling here, Kermit.

First off, nobody builds cloverleaf junctions anymore: they're unsafe, as they require traffic weaving. Unrolled cloverleafs require enormous land-take that would increase project costs and mean moving the road at least a km further from the towns it serves... or you could just flatten hundreds of homes and businesses to satisfy a weird fetish for overengineering, I suppose.

The right solutions have been used in the right places: the N21/M20 interchange has been significantly upgraded to a high speed freeflow merge, which it should be, especially as N21 Adare is proceeding. (old N20 here will only be a local road, which is why it has been isolated from new M20)

Just like N9 back in the 2000s, the section being upgraded isn't a particularly busy road (even allowing for all the people who avoid the current N20), but it is a dangerous one. Motorway makes sense to create a western road spine from Blarney to Tuam, but the big gain is from replacing the death traps.

But: traffic lights? On rural motorway interchanges? You do realise that once you put lights on any of the arms leading off an interchange, you require then an all, which will cause traffic on the road to back up.. what kind of fool designs a motorway that you have to queue to get off even when there's no traffic? Roundabouts are the best solution for the traffic volumes on this scheme.

(I wonder sometimes if you drive at all... Traffic lights are a pain in the arse for drivers: they make you stop and wait when you don't have to)

As for tolling, it's the future…Have a look at average road tax prices and fuel consumption of cars over the last ten years, and then think about what effect that has on tax revenues... that money has to be made up somewhere. The tolls will be fairly distributed, unlike M50 where people crossing the Liffey are subsidising all other users. Tolling also tips the cost-benefit calculations in favour of building motorways, which is something I thought you wanted... All of France's motorways are tolled, and their network is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

The update says the following about the Mallow Freight hub:

In addition to the six Transport Hubs, a Freight Hub is also proposed to be located adjacent to the M20 / N72 / N73 Mallow junction. This freight hub will provide facilities for parking, welfare and EV charging for heavy good vehicles, as well as fulfilling the requirements of the European Union’s Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) and the Department of Transport’s National Road Network En-Route EV Charging Plan 2024 – 2030 polices.  A small amount of vehicle parking will also be provided for active travel and park and share.

See Section 1.5 here https://corklimerick.ie/june-2024-update/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There will never be a need for a third lane and the junctions are more than adequate for the traffic volumes they'll handle.

It doesn't need to be 'anything special', it needs to do a job and this will more than do that job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Last November they communicated that the next updates would be Q2 and Q4 2024. Well this is the last week in Q2, so very much part of the planned communication strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pale Red

It would be very poor "electioneering waffle" to wait two weeks after an election. Infrastructure projects are often multi-year so they do not tie neatly into election cycles. We do not yet know when the next GE is (other than it's between now and March 2025).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can we please dispense with the "it's not gonna happen" talk please, at least until such time as we have any form of indication that it may not happen.

The last time it was cancelled there was very extenuating circumstances, the likes of which I hope we do not see again. There's a good chance it could have gone ahead last time like the other PPPs did (the M17/M18, N25, M11 and M7/M11 PPPs all are built, the Galway Bypass got assassinated in the courts).

Also, until such time as there is some sort of indication that there are plans for cloverleaf junctions between a reduced profile dual carriageway and rural roads, I'm not sure what there is to be gained from such fantasy discussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not much to say really from my end - excellent plan. Just what we needed and an M20 to boot.

My only two points -

This will still be hamstrung by the lack of the N40 Cork North Ring and for the sake of a few kilometers of dual carriageway not starting the M20 at Glanmire and combining the two projects is a missed opportunity that will cost us 15 years of absolute, unnecessary carnage in Blackpool and Ballyvolane. The temptation will still be there to go M8 to Mitchelstown and over the Hospital route to avoid Blackpool especially at rush hour.

I can see the tolling aspect being scrapped, although I'd be happy enough to pay a toll on this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The towns along the route will likely have sever restrictions on through traffic before then.

Likely Cork will have upgraded it's bus infrastructure by then as part of BusConnects. Blarney Station will be open before this I would say.

What are you unhappy with? It will be a full motorway.

Ok so you want to cancel the project entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Well done to the project team. Some of us keep bleating "wHaT aBoUt SuStAiNaBiLiTy" at project after project….well….this is how it's done. We're finally getting roads upgrades where people won't necessarily be locked into car dependency (if they choose). It looks like it ticks the boxes of "not adding more cars".

I'm most excited about the Transport Hubs, personally. And the distance tolling makes sense. They'll hopefully cost it well and back it up with calming measures on the secondary route so that people aren't rat-running.

The cycle/pedestrian designs aren't perfect but they aren't terrible, and most snags will come out in detailed design (at no extra cost).

A minor detail people might not have spotted here is that the Blarney Business Park will be connected to the station and town by footpath/cycleway. A simple cheap win.

But one thing I'm confused about (I think others have pointed it out) is the lack of a Blarney P&R tie-in. Not sure what they're thinking here. Maybe they simply don't have the scope to deal with IÉ issues like that.

N40 North is too big an addition to just absorb into scope. It's only a few km of DC but it's extremely complex. I'm not "happy" it's not being done, but they get a pass on this one for me. We need an N40 North and Northern distributor separately. Hopefully the distributor is in motion at least. Not sure N40 North is moving at all though unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

Loads of people read the headline but don't understand any of the content I think.

• Advertisement

not physically connected to cycle lanes, the active travel route will be parallel to the motorway, not on it, if you care to actually read any article on the topic/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Exiled Rebel

I really hope the mallow to dungarvan greenway is delivered as it would connect into the M20 cycle lanes providing an incredible resource for people to travel by bike from cork / limerick to Waterford without having too many interactions with traffic.

In days gone by you always knew when the ferry arrived into rosslare as there would be dozens of tourists seen cycling on the N72 heading west.

I'd like it as a project but I think it's a long-shot. The land there would all need to be CPO'd. I'd say we'll sooner see that cycle link done by the N25 route. You'd have rail/cycle possibilities between Mallow and Midleton too. One for the greenways thread, but you're reminding me of my childhood when I was able to get the train and cycle back over the course of a few days entirely on segregated cycleways. This is a type of tourism that we really can compete with internationally, because our weather allows almost year-round cycling (never too hot or cold!).

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭pajoguy

There is no access at Attyflynn to the M20 North for the Old N20 Traffic. I know it would be very near the M20 merge. No exit to use the old N20 also. If you were travelling south you would have to exit at Patrickswell to use old N20.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Limerick74

Irish Rail progressing Blarney P&R with new train station. See recent presentation by IR which discusses same.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

Only a handful cycling the few kilometres in Limerick despite tons of new lanes and massive disruption.

Imagine all those cyclists commuting between Limerick Cork and all those towns in between. An Irish joke that Jim Davidson would feast on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Which junctions do you believe should have full cloverleaf junctions?

All of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Do you actually think tolling motorways is a Green thing ?

I suppose they tolled all the tunnels too 🤣

• Advertisement

Tonns of new lanes? there's no usable cycling infrastructure in Limerick City Centre and what little of it exists in Cork is substandard, disappears at junctions and has to contend with Cork people in cars who simply cannot drive.

Advertisement