Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walked out of my job

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I worked in a company where i thought i was good at my job and underpaid and asked for a raise. Didnt get it.

Handed in my notice. Was asked to stay and they offered me about half what i wanted. I politely declined.

I then got a lecture about loyalty and how could i leave them stuck like that. I was made to feel like the company loved me and i wasnt returning that love by leaving and how could I do that.

About 6 months later I met the team for a few pints including the person who gave me the lecture about loyalty to the company. The whole team had just got their marching orders due to downsizing.

Company will drop you like a hot snot the minute it suits them. Treat them the same.

Another company had me on 3 months notice. They wouldnt give me the days off for a holiday i wanted, so i handed in my notice the week before i left. Another lecture about loyalty, but they also told me i had to give 3 months notice or i could be sued. I said ok make it 3 months notice then, but im taking my holidays next month. They reluctanly agreed and when i came back i just called in sick every day. I actually had a new job. I would call in sick. Boss would ring me and say i needed a doctor note or they couldnt pay me. I said leave it with me. Sure i was working somewhere else i didnt want to be paid anyway as i had left, even though they didnt want to acknowledge i had left. Same thing every day for 3 weeks before they gave up. They didnt pay me. I didnt care.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭StormForce13

H H Munroe (aka "Saki"). In a short story called “Reginald on Besetting Sins” published in 1904.

The original reads: “The cook was a good cook, as cooks go, and as cooks go, she went.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

References are usually phone calls now, written references aren't worth the paper they are written on except perhaps for a landlord.

But, for future reference. A company can reduce your hours for economic necessity reasons etc, but if they leave it longer than, I think, 13 weeks because of the change in contract you can claim redundancy. Doesn't apply in the OP's case as he was only with the company 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Raichų

my contract was very cutely written to be “casual”.

I queried it from the outset and the cute huers gave some line about chefs all want to be paid hourly. I suppose the alternative is putting me on a full time contract but that requires them to pay me regardless of hours I think.

Either way my contract for new job is full time x39hrs and I’m paid regardless if I work 39 hours or not. I won’t be looking back anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement

This reminds me ...

I think we can take the OPs word on if it's identifiable or not.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Really only ever heard of it for people in very significant roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Raichų

for what reason exactly? Are you one of those people who doesn’t believe in anything unless you see it personally?
    should I attach a few payslips to prove I worked there as well?
    cmon man

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• yep, don’t believe everything I read!! And payslips not necessary, cmon man :)

Advertisement