Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Blade and Casey are going. Cooney is not as good as Murray and is almost as old, there’s no argument to bring him.

So, no one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Disagree entirely on that. Cooney does everything Murray does, and better. He's not in the team because of personality issues imo, not because he's deficient. He's better than Casey to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Tbf JGP has screwed up plenty. You could lay a large part of the QF loss on his shoulders, as well Leinster's loss last year. I don't think you should select a player based on the idea they'll make less mistakes, I'd rather take the guy who's more likely to do something positive.

Putting aside debates over their abilities, POM, Murray and Healy should have been moved on from based on their age alone. I don't believe we're that lacking in leadership that the potential benefits from these players is worth taking them over younger guys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is a balancing act, which is why someone like Paul Marshall never got anywhere. JGP predominantly makes the right choice even if he sometimes makes the wrong one. Also I just don't rate Cooney or Blade whatsoever and whatever about Cooney (who is old anyway) I have no idea what positives Blade is going to bring. But if we are moving past people on age alone than you are already discounting Cooney so we can ignore him. It is a silly position to be bothered about, we have very few realistic options and our best player is out.

Leadership impacts the entire squad. I would rather it wasn't an issue but it quite clearly is. We are 100% lacking in leadership though, Leinster's on-field decision making (where most of the next tier of leaders are) is distinctly poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,218 ✭✭✭✭phog

There are three different screenshots, only one from RTE

Stop digging

• Advertisement

Don't know where the others are from, don't care. The same logic applies.

You are overwhelmingly in the minority here consistently insisting on calling them "friendlies" instead of what they are, which is test matches. This is like telling people playing test cricket that they are actually playing friendlies - it's absurd. Obviously some matter more than others, but we take chances when we tour Japan or Argentina.

I don’t think Cooney is on the same level at all, but it’s pointless dropping a 35 year old and replacing him with a 34 year old who doesn’t even bring test level experience to the table and as you say, is a very difficult character to manage.

Oh, they're international test matches, I never claimed otherwise but they're also just friendlies.

Look, if it keeps people happy we could just refer to them as SIs (Summer Internationals) and AIs (Autumn Internationals) but winning or losing any of those games is far less important than winning/losing a pool game in the 6Ns or the RWC which is where this argument started

We're not playing a RWC or a 6N match at the same time though, so it doesn't matter.

It is a test series against the World Champions, in which we are bringing a squad where 10 of them have less than 10 caps. I think this is more or less a perfect balance to hit to bring in new players and try and win an important test series. If we were touring elsewhere the squad would be different.

We have already beaten the World Champions, in a RWC pool game, with what will probably be a very similar team to what we can field. We'll be delighted if we win but what happens if we lose?

Trying a more experimental team is almost a win win for us, if we win it will great for that team and the squad in general, if we lose, we still have the experienced players to call on and given gametime to players with little international experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Rating Blade, Cooney, and a (admittedly promising looking) kid who has played 160 minutes of senior rugby ahead of Murray is one of the most hilarious things I've read on this forum. Blade was actively handicapping Connacht this year and at the end of last year - he's only there because JGP dropped out. Cooney can't defend nearly as well as Murray (probably not a great idea to have a poor tackler against the Saffas if possible), is just as old from a developmental POV, and wouldn't be rated nearly as highly as he is if he wasn't a goal kicker.

The idea that Murray has been finished since the World Cup BEFORE LAST but just so happens to keep getting selected is also hysterically funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The personality issues doesn’t really wash with me, Cooney was selected for Ireland in squads and in the team a number of times when he had the same personality.

It was only after he got dropped he came up with the sexton story himself.
    He also done an interview after the 2019 WC squad, said he had nothing in his game to improve and couldn’t understand why not been picked

No mention of personality issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭ersatz

those are 2 examples of personality issues.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd love if either World Rugby or the teams themselves imposed a total cap rule for at least one of the games. Or if Ireland and SA agreed that at least 5 players had to have under 10 caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Sa will have atleast 5 players with under 10 caps

Yeah and he had a go at the current coaching team after his last dropping too. He doesn’t do himself any favours, to put it mildly.

He also tried to declare for Scotland for the RWC, they politely declined.

Whatever he is, was or could have been, it’s all academic now, he’s done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

You do realise that some of us watched and played Rugby before we had sponsorship and wall to wall TV coverage. You are utterly incorrect.

I'm not sure why the post i quoted disappeared but it's in relation to Phóg and his 'Friendlies' garbage.

Roos,evdm,maybe fassi,ben Jason maybe, but will hopefully soon find out more

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

People really do get bent out of shape about terms like 'friendly' and 'rules'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

https://www.springboks.rugby/news-features/articles/2024/06/25/erasmus-names-strong-squad-for-castle-lager-incoming-series/

RG Snyman (Munster/Leinster) Erasmus oozes class.

Ireland are going to get comfortably beaten in the First Test.

It wont be a 33-0 mauling (20 June 1998 Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria) but I could see SA winning by 15 or more.

"What he did was unacceptable," fired the angry Springbok coach Nick Mallett, "and I think he should have walked. In fact, it's just as well that the punch hit the back of our flanker Johan Erasmus' head beforehand, otherwise it would have taken Gary's head off."

I wish Woody had completely missed Teichmann…………………… and connected elsewhere.

1998 Tour

Trouble had been sign-posted from the first test in Bloemfontein. Manager Donal Lenihan had to persuade officials to open the gates to let the Irish coach pass into the ground.

Their dressing-room was so cramped, the replacements and tackle bags had to be moved into a separate room, as well as habitual pre-match puffers Peter Clohessy and Rob Henderson.

Ireland lost 37-13 (Stefan Terblanche scoring four tries on luckless Denis Hickie's wing); yet the match was more memorable for the actions of Keith Wood, who had launched his best haymaker at the head of South African captain Gary Teichmann.

"What he did was unacceptable," fired the angry Springbok coach Nick Mallett, "and I think he should have walked. In fact, it's just as well that the punch hit the back of our flanker Johan Erasmus' head beforehand, otherwise it would have taken Gary's head off."

Wood apologised, but privately both camps were steaming. Paddy Johns, the normally mild-mannered captain off the field, declared that he was willing to put his body on the line. "Tomorrow, I know I can rest," he intoned.

Warren Gatland had a warning for any South African players who tried to slow down Irish ball: "We will deal with them in our own way." The gauntlet had been flung with ferocity.

Trevor Brennan, who was still on a high after winning his first Irish cap in the first test, watched the surreal proceedings unfold from his position on the bench, and recalls vividly the moment he knew that all hell was going to break loose.

"It was when their scrum-half (Joost van der Westhuizen) kicked Malcolm O'Kelly after about 10 minutes," recalled Brennan this week, as he launched his eponymous rugby tours company. In fact, it had all kicked off even earlier than that.

Franco Smith (Springbok swap - Nienaber & RGS for Smith please), now Treviso coach, would pull the strings at out-half all day and he should have helped the side into an early lead; however, his thrilling break and pass to Johannes Erasmus was pulled back as prop Adrian Garvey had launched the first of the day's punches earlier in the move.

Johns subsequently lamped Teichmann at an early line-out. Then came van der Westhuizen's cynical, cowardly kick on O'Kelly as the Dubliner got trapped on the wrong side of a ruck.

"I'll never forget it," said Brennan. "Malcolm got a kick, in the same way you'd see a fella taking a penalty in the All-Ireland final."

Astonishingly, the French referee Joel Dume didn't send him off and van der Westhuizen would subsequently open the scoring.

Tempers frayed again when Victor Costello was cautioned for a fracas with the notorious hooker, James 'Bullet' Dalton, who somehow emerged from the proceedings without caution. His opposite number, Wood, was heavily targeted all afternoon.

Full-back Percy Montgomery had a score disallowed for a forward pass before Rassie Erasmus and Dalton added further tries before half-time. But the shimmering threat of violence was rarely far away.

Minutes after the break, Teichmann was penalised for reacting to Irish scrum-half Conor McGuinness pulling on his jersey; then South African lock Krynauw Otto was binned when he traded blows with Johns, who was lucky to escape sanction.

By this time, the scene was anarchic, with fist fights breaking out arbitrarily. Ireland introduced Brennan and Clohessy. It was like pouring petrol on fire. "Myself and Peter, wha," Brennan laughs. "Two gentler guys you couldn't meet, arriving into the middle of all this.

"By the time myself and Claw came on there were about 12 fights going on about the place. Then Mark Andrews and Paddy Johns started fighting just as I walked on. For once in my life I was the peacemaker!

"This wasn't your normal just three or four in the pack having a few boxes off each other, it was one-in all-in. It was like a 99 call (Willie John McBride's notoriously unambiguous call to violence on the 1974 Lions tour to South Africa).

"Not that we had a call or anything like that. I remember you could hear the whistle being blown, but the referee was being completely ignored, whether you turned right or left, you could see fellas fighting.

"We wanted to put up a bit of a show, front up and show some pride. Both teams wanted to play rugby, but when those things start happening, you have to get in and stick up for each other."

Teichmann crashed over from a loose ball close to the line for his side's fourth try before Pieter Rossouw ran in from 40 metres out to round off a humiliating afternoon on the scoreboard, to which the gleeful captain pointed repeatedly in the game's dying embers. "We were trying to play the rugby, while their only interest was in preventing us from playing," moaned Mallett in the aftermath of the game.

Unsurprisingly, the Springboks refused to offer any hospitality to the visitors after the match, an eerie echo of events this past summer, when this time the Lions refused an invitation to break bread with their opponents after any of the three tests.

"The South Africans never mixed at all, a bit like the Lions this year," remembers Brennan.

"They stood up at one end of the hall, we were down the other end of the hall. At no stage did any of the players talk to the opposition."

The irrepressible Wood led his players towards the podium and sang the squad anthem, 'From Clare to Here,' paying special attention to an extremely apt verse: "And the only time I feel alright is when I'm into drinking, It sort of eases the pain of it and levels out my thinking."

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/who-fears-to-speak-of-summer-98/26586468.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Bok squad announced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That looks like a stacked squad, are there any significant players missing?
    Kitshoff, Moodie, Willemse, De Jager, anyone else?
    Think those players are well-covered anyway, so their squad not really dropping in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Stanley 1

Is there a vid link to this '98 game like youtube maybe……

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭StormForce13

But Leo swears by it! Every bloody season. 😡

They're missing the following through injury:

Steven Kitshoff, Jean Kleyn, Lood de Jager, Cameron Hanekom, Jaden Hendrikse, Henco van Wyk, Canan Moodie and Damian Willemse.

They've brought back Kolbe & Am who had been expected to miss the series. 4 uncapped players in the squad: Johan Grobbelaar, Jan-Hendrik Wessels, Phepsi Buthelezi & Morne van den Berg.

They've named an extensive standby list too, with some likely to feature against Portugal:

Forwards: Jean-Luc du Preez, Joseph Dweba, Neethling Fouche, Celimpilo Gumede, Elrigh Louw, Wilco Louw, Ntuthuko Mchunu, Ruben van Heerden, Andre-Hugo Venter

Backs: Suleiman Hartzenberg, Jordan Hendrikse, Ethan Hooker, Quan Horn, Siya Masuku

I think guys like Neethling Fouche, Ntuthuko Mchunu and Siya Masuku are a little unlucky not to be in the full squad.

It's a gargantuan Springbok squad: 39 players in the full squad, and another 14 on the standby list.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭StormForce13

From memory, those are the games that would have been described as non-cap international matches, rather than as friendlies.

• Advertisement

They're playing Portugal after us, so I presume there will be complete rotation for that.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement