Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh Dies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ah RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

There can be a lot of bitching and moaning in this thread but I think there's no doubt that everyone will agree that the GAA have lost a legend today. I only met him once (at a book signing) and I was late, after the official closing time and I chanced my arm going up to the table anyway. His "minder" was having none of it but Mícheál brushed him aside and signed anyway, and then engaged in a chat for a good 5 minutes. They say never meet your heroes but this lad was an absolute gentleman.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ah no. A great Gael, represented Kerry and the GAA so well down the years.

Trained the Dublin based players of the great Kerry team of 1970s.

And a wonderful story teller.

A big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

A poet of GAA broadcasting. Unsurpassed in his breath of knowledge and love for Gaelic games. There'd want to be a statue of him outside Croke Park.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That's sad news. RIP. A great voice and a great commentator. And always came across as a truly humble man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Hooked

Spot on.

"His father's from Fiji and his mother's from Fermanagh, neither a hurling stronghold."

The voice of the GAA

RIP Micheál

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Im of an age that grew up before the advent of GAA on TV . Many the Sundays he made me imagine I was in Thurles,Hyde Park or Clones. What a voice and commentator flipping between the game and people he met on the way to the Match or the Hawthorns late in blooming . A lovely lovely man RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

An absolute gentleman and wonderful ambassador for Ireland and its culture.

Rest in peace

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Legends like him are so ever present that you forget they are growing old the same as the rest of us. I couldn't believe he retired 14 years ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭batman75

A broadcasting titan. Our greatest ever along with Michael O'Hehir. Legendary Kerryman. Gone but never to be forgotten. A long life well lived. The first of three legendary Kerryman of his generation indelibly tied to the GAA to pass on. Rest in peace Michael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Up there with Michael O Hehir as a commentator. Some loss to gaa, what a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What is there to be said; simply the greatest Gael of our generation.

He should be rendered the highest civilian honours permissible, by the State and by the GAA, for all the colour and infectious joy he brought to millions. Literally millions.

Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Good man. No point in being thick without showing it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Very sad, but he reached a good age. Lovely man and a legendary commentator, the quintessential commentator for me and many others. A great ambassador for Ireland, the Irish language and culture. RIP Mícheál. He could have and had the qualities to run for President of Ireland.

Mícheál now shares his anniversary with another famous Michael. Today is the 15th anniversary of the death of Michael Jackson.

And now sadly Tommie Gorman.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Rip..he could make a bad match sound good..I'm not old enough to remember Michael o hehir so to me he was by far the best I heard.National treasure is an overused term but he most definitely was one.He could have read the phone book and made it interesting.

Even the clip of him making a sandwich a few years back made you want to eat one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭StormForce13

Credit to the RTE lunchtime news for leading with his death and relegating both Ireland's new EU Commissioner and the Aer Lingus pilots to second and third place in the headlines. For once they have got their priorities right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I may well have been at the same book signing- except I waited outside Eason’s O”Connell st about 5 mins before his advertised book signing was about to commence- I had book in hand and who did I see walk up the street to the steps of Easons only MO’M- a true gent, he signed and dedicated the book, had a few words and yes, his minders were in a right huff as others then started to gather - probably saved myself an hour queuing that day😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now.. but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail.. I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!

RIP to a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭dinjo99

Hardly his fault if you have a problem with the beautiful surname he was born with.

Slán leat, Mícheál, Laoch ar Lár.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Had the privilege of meeting this man on only one occasion. He agreed to come and officially launch an underage activity week that our club were running. Unfortunately, as it turned out, the date clashed with a commentary gig he had at Croke Park but he said no worries he'd call into us (Midlands) on his way home!

Micheál was well into his 70s at this stage and was in the middle of a long journey home after a day's work. But nothing was too much trouble for him. He stayed for hours chatting, reminiscing, telling stories etc. We got him a small gift and tried to pay him something for his time/ petrol money. He refused any cash and was visibly and genuinely moved by the gift.

An absolute gentleman. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

He grabs the sliothar, he’s on the 50! He’s on the 40! He’s on the 30… he’s on the ground!

🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Shocked hearing this today. Very sad a true Irish legend is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

we used turn down the telly and turn up the radio for the commentary. No delay back then.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A legend, a gentleman to his core and a true Gael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭MacDanger

RIP Micheal, sad to see him gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rip

One of the greats of the GAA and always a pleasure to listen too. Pity never heard him announce 'Waterford as all Ireland hurling champions'

Sad day for RTE as a whole with Tommie O Gorman also passing away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Can't believe Tommy Gorman was only sixty eight, he looked that the time of the good friday agreement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Dogsdodogsstuff

ah that’s genuinely sad news, he’s just always been part of Gaa folklore. Made every game sound like the greatest game ever. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,532 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not going to lie, was having a stressful day in work and actually shed a tear or two when hearing the news.

Like so many others of a certain generation, his voice was the fabric of the summer. There'd almost be an obligatory silence in the car when his commentary came on, and you'd nearly feel honoured if your own county featured. Have so many fond memories of travelling to and from matches with my own family or with my two late uncles with Micheal filling us in on what was happening in Killarney or Thurles or wherever else. It just't feel the same since.

I met him a few times too, and he was a gent that seemed to defy the ageing process. Remarkably fresh and a towering presence. Just before Covid, there was a special celebration for Matty Forde to mark his retirement. Micheal was invited down to it, he didn't have to go and no-one would have complained if he gave his apologies. But he drove down that Saturday night, and stole the show. Stayed for hours afterwards chatting to fellas too and drove himself home in the wee hours. That was the mark of the man.

An icon, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not a gaa fan really, but this guy is a legend.

Always a pleasure to listen to him

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Highlighter75

Decent man who loved GAA. RIP. I'm a Ger Canning fan myself for commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The man has left people with so many memories an understated character.

A few memories stick out for me.

When I was watching a low key match down in some provincial ground. There was a long break in play and a lull in crowd. I could hear these recognisable tones travelling through the air. I turned around and saw Micheál talking animatedly filling the gap in play painting a great picture, with non stop information. He was flanked by I assume his two grand daughters. I gave them all the the thumbs up.

The next one was at a sort of Gaeilge/Croke Park "do" (an anniversary of something or other) Micheál was one of the guest speakers. He was going through each decade off the top of his head way back to the 1930's (no notes) naming players of note of those eras. He was going way over time. I went out for a break. Fellas outside who wanted to prepare the area for food etc (a break in proceedings) asked is he is finished yet? No I said. he is only on the 1950's!

The final memory about Micheál that sticks out for me was when was on the the Ray Darcy show on telly. Sean Óg Ó'Halpin happened to be on with him. And the two of them ended up breaking into a chat "As Gaelige" completely forgetting they were on television and forgot about Ray.

The man did not even seem to know he was a character.

https://www.the42.ie/micheal-isms-some-of-the-best-o-muircheartaigh-quotes-24710-Sep2010/

To quote the man himself -

"The stopwatch has stopped. It’s up to God and the referee now"

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

MOM would have gone to Colaiste Iosagan in Ballyvourney, That would have been an all Irish school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,429 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Lucky enough to have listened to Michael O'Hehir, and Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh. Legends both.

I would think Ó Muircheartaigh was the better all round commentator. Fabulous man to meet too.
    Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Knockdromin

My aunt had some sort of intern role with RTE in the early 90’s and she brought me along one day. I remember meeting him and Gay Byrne. I admittedly didn’t recognise MO’M (I was 8 or 9) but I remember him asking what my name was, if I played any sports, who my favourite player was and finished with words of encouragement and wished me luck. I’ve forgotten the specifics of what was said but it always stuck with me how down to earth and kind he was in that brief exchange.

There were a couple of other big names I met that day who had a sort of “WTF? Who brought the kid along?” attitude (not Byrne, he too was a gent)

What can be said about the man that hasn’t already been said? A true legend. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,064 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What I admired was he done his job and went home no air and graces about him.

No 'Marty Party/2 Johnnies ' type ballax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Reading that brought a tear to my eye.

Whilst I never met the man, felt I knew him personally such was the power of his broadcasting skills.

Your warm and emotional post is a fine tribute to the man.

We’re all the sadder today for he’s passing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Very sad. RIP.

And, yes, bread was never meant to be triangular.

• Advertisement

I've just remembered that I know one person who didn't like MO'M! He's a former work colleague who was soccer crazy and a mad Dubs fan.

He went to O'Connell Schools (this would have been back in the early 70's, long before the GAA Ban was abolished) and, from what he said, MO'M was fond of the cane and didn't like Dubs, especially if they were soccer mad, had long hair, and - worst of all - didn't play Gaelic games! You could describe it as a clash of two vastly conflicting cultures. But I'm sure that MO'M, like most of us, mellowed with age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He brought so much passion and emotion in his commentary, like he was a fan of every team

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭threeball

RIP Micheál,

The greatest to ever do it. You've been missed since you hung up your microphone and I'm sure you'll be missed by those close to you now.

Always came across as a total gentleman. Thanks for providing us with moments that will be etched in our minds as long as we're here ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭jacool

Jarlath Burns was just on Six-One and had a story about when he actually scored his only goal, and he wanted to know what Micheál had said, and it went like this.

“Jarlath Burns not known for his goals, not known for his points either. Maybe that’s why he was unmarked when he got the ball."

I hadn't realised that he had suffered from an unusual type of cancer for about 30 years. That's probably why he looked so unwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If there was a book on his in-match comments, it'd be a best seller.

One I heard today..."Here comes Sylvie Linnane. Drives a digger on Monday. Goes like one on Sunday"

Ger is excellent. More concise and focused than MM could ever be - for good or ill. MM more interested in talking about the cows in the neighbouring field etc etc etc at times - had its moments.
    Ger - always focused on the match and the live play. Different styles.

o Hehir is viewed through rose tinted nostalgia, he was awful, Mr Helium

When you say “Mr Helium” ….you mean he was high pitched during eventful moments?

or something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭kk.man

I met Micheál once through a work thing. He signaled me out and we had a chat. He didn't need to chat to me but he did. I felt privileged. What struck me was there was no difference in his public image as his private one. Still the same old bits of Irish in the conversation. It's rare in famous people to have the one image.

RIP Micheál.

• Advertisement
Advertisement