Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier beats a woman unconscious, gets a great reference from his commanding officer, avoids jail.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,432 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Crotty has not explained why he did what he did. Did he even know what he was doing as he was doing it? Was he drunk to a point where he had no control/understanding what he was at? If he came out and explained, and showed real sorrow and remorse, maybe folks could try understand. But to my knowledge he acted with intent and acted while knowing what he was doing..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Posting about it hours after in social media shows that intent drove his actions

Yes. 4-6 punches causing a few different injuries, including a serious concussion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'd agree that no one could honestly testify that this attack was out of character, no more than they could testify Crotty isn't homophobic.

He was shouting homophobic abuse and viciously attacked Natasha when she asked him to stop - that's his character. He might manage to hide it when he's sober, but he's a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,877 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement

Yes. I believe he absolutely knew what he was at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Caquas

I understand exactly why Togher used those words. Why can’t you get it into your head that it only aggravates the problem for the Defence Forces.

It shows that a cowardly thug like Crotty is held in the highest regard by those who are responsible for instilling discipline in the military. Togher didn’t even try to adjust his comments in light of Crotty’s guilty plea and the horrific CCTV (until he was caught unexpectedly by cross-examination)

There should be fireworks at the Tribunal if anyone tries to defend Togher with your line of reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If it had been a physically imposing man, we an assume if he was rational he wouldn't have a go.

Not all men are gym bunnies or physically imposing - indeed only a small minority are and if he'd have sized me up for example, he'd have flattened me too.

This as now become broader than the specific incident anyway where it's being spun that men are violent specifically towards women because they are women. The evidence suggests though that violent individuals, nearly all of whom are men are violent towards other weaker people. Those other people are largely men also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yes exactly - there are only two ways to interpret Togher's judgment of Crotty's character in light of what Crotty did: either Togher is a very poor judge of character who is moreover too arrogant to ever question his judgment in light of new information, or else he doesn't think what Crotty did is fundamentally all that bad really.

"Disappointing" is what he said - which sounds like he may have meant as much the inconvenience caused for Togher having to give up his precious time to testify, as for the crime itself. It's such an understatement that you have to wonder.

"she was doing what all women do when they contradict a man, taking her life in her hands"

All relationships, even the best, have disagreements. You have said that all women are in fear of their life when such disagreements happen with men.

Absolute total nonsense.

• Advertisement

You are calling for him to commit perjury, given that the defense and prosecution both had copies of Crottys army file he would have been found out straight away, he was also going to always answer questions put to him rsthet than refuse.

Early on in this thread someone listed out what they thought Togher should have said about crotty. Ironically it was near verbatim what he actually did say but for this tabloid thread that didn't matter, where only a few lines if what Togher said are shared.

Will we see anyone call for an extra 1000 prison spaces and doubling up in the cells in the mean time etc , course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Simon Harris criticised the army but failed to criticise the ludicrous sentence given by the judge.

Incompetent judges should be thrown out.

If that was nonsense, do you think the women who get beaten or murdered by an ex were all just stupid? That women can all tell which men will end up stalking and trying to kill them?

Or does it show that women are constantly guessing (and hoping for the best) when they start up a relationship with someone?

What about when a random man pushes in front of them in the queue for the checkout or whatever? If they make any comment to him, are they just stupid for taking that risk? Or is there some way they can know which man will follow them out of the shop roaring at them and threatening them? (And yes that's happened to me.)

There is a third way to look at Togher’s evidence - that it is standard operating procedure in our military, when a serving member of the defence forces faces sentencing in a civil court, regardless of the crimes to which they have pleaded guilty or been convicted. That is the implication of the posters here who say he was just doing his duty.

If that is correct, the Tribunal is long overdue and must get to the bottom of this scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

But the judge has done what every other judge does in these scenarios. He has applied the mitigating factors to give a non-custodial sentence.

This is how we run our justice system. We don't have the prison space to jail all offenders for these crime types. Hence we mitigate some sentences to non-custodial. The mitigating factors were applied appropriately.

It doesn't negate the fact that Crotty is a scumbag. He will likely lose his job based on DF internal procedures. It is also highlighted to his family, friends, acquaintances, community et al that he is this type of individual.

Ah you are twisting and turning changing your words.

Think of the last time you had a disagreement with a man: perhaps your father, son, colleague or maybe partner. Were you in fear of your life, like you said? Did you tell them you were terrified of them?

When you are summoned by the court as a witness for either side the letter clearly states that if you do not you will be brought there by the guards.

Standard operating military procedure says you .

Jesus fuck8ng Christ.

Outside of him refusing to acknowledge the Court or the law around basic court functions, how was it going to be different

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ah now I get you, its a bit like how men risk everything anytime they have sex with a woman, in case she accuses them of rape?

Nonsense! And you’re only digging a deeper hole. What kind of Orwellian world do you think we live in where our courts should convict someone for telling the truth?

His duty was to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, not to read out some out-dated personnel file which had nothing to say regarding the central fact of the case. No one could stop him giving his honest opinion of Crotty and, shockingly, he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Or the third option, Togher is commenting on Crotty based on what he knows about him through their connection via the DF. Togher won't be basing his answers on how Crotty behaved in school, nor what he did on a stag holiday in Santa Ponsa.

Togher's required presence in the court room was solely for the reason of answering questions about Crotty's DF career.

• Advertisement

He was asked about the review, he answered that.

I sometimes wonder are people like you deliberately trying to help crotty .

Are you condemning Togher know for his condemnation of Crotty?

But again, I didn't say that. I said women don't go through the world terrified of men - otherwise we couldn't live at all.

But in practice, women never know for sure when that confidence will be misplaced.

Then he shouldn't have speculated as to what was "in character" for him in a non work environment, should he?

But he did.

Whereas the only honest answer there would have been that he didn't know, because the army is a very unusual environment with its hierarchy which means that soldiers of Crotty's level never get a chance to display any anger or even disagreement to superior officers.

Perhaps the people who should have been testifying would have been soldiers below him in the ranks - if there were any?

Where does "exceptional cause" come into "out of character" definitions?

"completely different or differently from the way someone usually behaves, or from the particular qualities that a person, place, etc. has"

Do you have a different definition or understanding of the phrase?

If you toned down your abuse and read my post, you would see that I didn’t object to him attending court (which is his duty) nor even giving evidence even though he could easily have objected to a summons on the grounds that he had nothing to say (again, you imagine a ludicrous Orwellian system which can drag anyone into court on pain of imprisonment).

No, my objection is soley to the evidence he gave so your comment is irrelevant and abusive.

Based on this "logic", for everyones sake I sincerely hope you never serve on a jury.

I gave an example: if he'd been taunted by someone about, say, a girlfriend or something else that really angered him, and finally snapped, then that could be said to "out of character", because if he'd been left in peace, there wouldn't have been any trouble.

In this case, he was the one who started the trouble, by shouting at the other lad, and then, when asked not to (a perfectly reasonable request) he attacked. That's unprovoked, and therefore comes entirely from within him. Not out of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Yes exactly - there are only two ways to interpret Togher's judgment of Crotty's character in light of what Crotty did: either Togher is a very poor judge of character who is moreover too arrogant to ever question his judgment in light of new information, or else he doesn't think what Crotty did is fundamentally all that bad really.

lols…so there isn't a third alternative where Togher read out a judgement of Crotty's character that was based on Crotty's army record when asked by the court to read out Crotty's army record.

Jesus wept, are people being deliberately obtuse?

Unlike the posters saying what else did she expect for getting involved? Those are completely the people you want on a jury I suppose. 🙄

• Advertisement

When he said "out of character" are you suggesting that was written in the record??

Advertisement