Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underpaid tax need advice

• 25-06-2024 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

This is huge for me and any advice would be extremely settling because right now I have no idea who to ask or what I can do.

In a nutshell I got an email from revenue last Thursday saying the preliminary statement for 2020 shows i underpaid tax. Alarm bells went off and when I investigated I had a load of tax cert amendments from about 2019 through to 2022.

I got married in 2017, in 2019 we chose to be jointly assessed, my wife worked part time and i worked full time. all my wife's tax credits should have gone to me. However, for some reason my tax credits went to my wife, my wife's tax credits went to me and we were jointly assessed so looks like we ended up with way more tax credits than we should have as a married couple.

After a few iterations of tax certs it looks like it was finally sorted in September 2021, when my wife had zero tax credits and I had 3300 as expected. My wife stopped working around 2020.

My guess (knowing little about taxes) is that its roughly 10k in tax credits therefor 10k in under payment. If they expect that level of underpayment back over maximum 4 years (according to the email) we will be screwed as a single income family with two kids.

Do I have any options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭con747

Find out exactly what you owe and do up a spreadsheet of all your income and outgoings and they should be able to do up a payment plan or if you can try offer a settlement figure that might work. I am only basing that on a family member who owed €8,000 and done that about 7 years ago paying €3,000 so I don't know how revenue are now in the same situations. Hopefully some of the financial regulars here can advise you better.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Deeec

As a married couple with one income your tax credits should be higher than 3300 if you are a PAYE worker.

Also as your wife doesn't work and stays at home with the kids you are entitled to claim the home carers tax credit. Has this being claimed? If not you need to claim this.

Do you have any friends who are accountants or work in payroll. They would be able to do quick calculations to check the situation. Should only take a few minutes for them. My guess is with a few amendments you won't owe the revenue 10k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,260 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You should still have you wife's personal tax credit plus her home carer tax credit.

Go into your revenue account and check you have all these. Don't worry about it you probably owe nothing or little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Many thanks for feedback.

@Deeec Yes home carers tax credit has been claimed since my wife stopped working. I don't know anyone in finance unfortunately. Could be a case of biting the bullet and looking for a consultant.

@rob316 I have her personal tax credit and home carers tax credit.

There was a tax cert issued for the start of 2019 with an amendment January 2019.

A tax cert issued for 2020 with two amendments issued in March and October 2020.

Then a tax cert issued for 2021 with an amendment in september 2021 when my spouses side was zero and we had 6550 in tax credits. Everything from 2019 to September 2021 is screwed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Assuming it's a revenue error which they corrected, and not anything you did to cause the error, I would start by explaining you cannot afford the 10k and offer a settlement amount (as the other poster said above).

• Advertisement

@ELM327 is it even possible for me to make a mess of it so bad?

So, next steps, do I follow the instruction to submit the tax return before August or should I contact them before hand.

I don't think so, but what I was getting at is, as it's their error, not your error or your attempt to defraud, they should be more willing to discuss and negotiate.

I had an audit on me a few years ago as I accidentally misclassified something and owed them money (not 10k mind!), but it was my fault nonetheless. Even then, the revenue folks were lovely to deal with and accepted my genuine mistake and agreed to remove the penalty fee they had charged.

As for next steps, I would probably consider getting professional advice. I know it will cost money but as there's 10k at stake it's no small change. Maybe start by contacting citizens information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭head82

I'd be very surprised if you owe 10k in underpaid tax. Did Revenue not provide you with the specific amount owed? It's just that I've heard of others receiving notice from Revenue recently about underpaid tax from 2020 but the specific amount owed was always stated.

Bear in mind, this was the height of the 'Covid' years so if you were in receipt of PUP or Wage Subsidy, this may have an effect on your owed tax.

This thread might be of some help:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭GSBellew

2020, the year of Covid 19 and the TWSS / EWSS, were you paid via either of these?

This wasn't taxed at the time and unless you have already sorted the liability out that could form part of the 2020 underpayment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Best bet is to ring Revenue. They are not the monster they are made out to be, they breakdown everything leverything you owe and then will allow you to repay the outstanding ammount over a number of yrs.

A relative owed about 6-7 k due to an error in tax credit allocation and they allowed it to be repaid over a 5yr period by reducing sibsequent tax credits for following 5 yrs

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

@head82 @GSBellew

I was not receiving any covid payments at any time. I was working full time through the pandemic. Nothing in the email stated any amounts. It just said

"I am writing to you about your Preliminary End of Year Statement for the year 2020. You are now
    required, under Section 879 of the Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997, to complete and submit an
    Income Tax Return for 2020, before 5 August 2024."

And then there is a big Q&A section.

You need to get someone to look over the calculations to ensure that they are correct and that you are claiming all available tax credits and using the proper standard bands.

Its you and your wifes responsibility to have your tax credits correct so I disagree that its revenue that made a mistake. Revenue wont see it as their mistake - its your mistake unfortunately.

Are you sure the email is actually from revenue and not a scam? Revenue dont normally email you directly. They send a letter or you can see the details in ROS or the revenue 'my account service'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭shmeee

How's all.

My first bit of advice would be to submit you tax return for 2020 online and then you will get an idea of what may or may not be owed. Then go about querying the break down of the tax liability with Revenue and work with them, they will help in these circumstances.

Then look back at 2020, did your employer claim TWSS as a support to keep you in employment? If so, this payment to you was not taxed at the time and is now taxable.

From what you said, hard to see where a 10k figure is also coming out of, seems very high on the info you've supplied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sounds like a scam. Don't click on any links in the email and be brought to a site which looks like revenue site but will simply collect your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭StormForce13

Revenue have never sent me a letter since I registered for My Account/ROS about eight years ago.

All communication with them is electronic; however their direct emails are always simply notifications that I have new correspondence in my "My Account" mailbox.

Yep I agree that the way its done. The OP seems to have received an email though and stated what the email said. He needs to clarify for us if it was an email ( if so sounds like a scam) or just an instruction to log into my account or ros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

As above, what is the email address on the communication, or did they simply refer you to your 'my account' with Revenue.

If the former, looks like an attempt at phishing. Have you given them any details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

(1) make sure it's not a scam

(2) check all tax credits, for each year

(3) check SRCOP for each year

(4) do you submit normal Form 12 tax return each year, e.g. to claim tax relief on medical expenses?

Aapologies, it was an email notifying me of correspondence in my ROS inbox.

@Deeec even though they amended my tax cert four times with out me doing anything?? The only thing I ever did regarding tax was request to be jointly assessed and claim the home carers credit.

So, I followed instructions and viewed the preliminary statement for 2020 and it says 3300 underpaid. I did the same for 2021 and it's 2442. Total underpaid for those years is €5742.

2019 would have been the same as 2020 so if I include 2019 it's €9042 underpaid but I cannot view the statement for 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Avatar in the Post

Revenue can only go back four years unless you deliberately tried to defraud them. In this case they may be ignoring 2019.

I haven't submitted any tax returns for any year, my understanding of the tax system is that my employer pays me and revenue collects the taxes they have applied to me. It's a very out of sight out of mind approach, I could have been overpaying taxes (very unlikely) for years without a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thousands of people submit tax returns every year.

You may want to claim tax relief on rent paid, medical expenses, or remote working, etc.

You may need to declare extra income, e.g. dividends, rent, etc.

Given that many people have medical expenses, it is completely normal and common to submit a Form 12 tax return.

I suggest that you submit Form 12 tax returns for 2020 onwards.

Make sure you collect any legit expenses. Doctors fees for example are a tax writedown. Same as prescriptions. There's various WFH tax deductible expenses.

The problem with that approach is that it assumes that Revenue knows everything about you even though you haven't told them anything about your current situation! I assume that, at some point, you did inform them that you had married!

As a former Citizens Advice volunteer it's an attitude that I often encountered with both taxpayers and social welfare clients, many of whom appear to have assumed that both organisations can pick up any changes in their financial circumstances by osmosis!

Remember that it's your money so you really owe it to yourself to mind it as best you can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭downtheroad

"when my wife had zero tax credits and I had 3300 as expected. My wife stopped working around 2020."

A jointly assessed couple, with kids, and one spouse not working, should have tax credits of around €7425 (for 2024). You also have an increased standard tax band.

DM me, I'll help you out here.

I'm not eligible to work from home. I'm an engineer for a medical device manufacturer so I am required to be on site.

This is why I avoid taxes and tax information 😄 seems like there's so much to know and if you get it wrong you are screwed, even in this case when I figured i was staying in my lane by only doing what was available on the revenue site.

Thanks everyone for your time and advice.

Hi, sorry I was referring to personal tax credits only. In 2021 after the amendment my net tax credits were €6550. In 2024 they are €7425.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

We had the same problem when we got married - we wanted to stay separately assessed though. Spotted it when my pay took a nose dive as all the credits went to my wife.

It took a call or two to Revenue to sort it out - can be painful to get through but they will help you out. You the one calling them looking to sort out a mess partly of their own creation by not assigning credits as you requested so there will be some settling to do but they will work with you on it to get it sorted.

Take downtheroad's help as it does sound like your credits are low.

• Advertisement

You studied for X years to get your engineering qualifications so you're well able to devote a few hours (yes, really!) to mastering the PAYE system. 😉

Overall, "tax" is a complex subject, but the PAYE bit (which is all that matters to the majority of us) is a very small subset of the whole and it genuinely is that easy to master. IMHO, the only people who get "screwed" by taxes are the ones who don't take control of their own affairs.

You've got a golden opportunity to learn all about it now, so why not go for it!

Advertisement