Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

A lot of middle and senior EI managers are lifer's, those who have worked their way up over the years and decades.

Are you suggesting that if flight crew get the proposed salary increases as is, that this will harm EI?

But not hiring enough staff to cover everything (and ending up in the current situation) will not harm the airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I agree - EI mgmt. want conditions attached to going above 12.5%, IALPA want no pre-conditions. Given both sides seem unwilling to budge on their stance, I think today's Labour Court attendance is mostly about optics so both sides can't be accused of not being willing to continue talks (which they have been accusing each other of over the past few days).

I hope this is not the case and something gets worked about but hard to see if neither side is willing to compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 44 coupons1987

What year was the last big strike ? I have vague memories of Monarch operating a lot of flights it was winter season I think so probably easier to hire in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,378 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Why would he "paint a picture of doom and gloom while IAG trouser huge profits out of Ireland".

He enunciated figures to back up his points as far as I heard.

Can you explain how "it doesn't stand up to scrutiny when you look at pilot pay awards for other similar airlines"

Who are " these other similar airlines" and what 'scrutiny' are you referring to"

I would be interested in your answer to that as as I would take it there are very few similar airlines

in the same geographical and economic area as EI.

But I could be wrong….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭pureza

According to the indo article theres 12 of them on 6 million or 500k each average,an industry norm I would suggest for high turn over business's

Deviating from the industry norm in staff pay and fuel costs would ultimately be fatal at least for job security in EI,if not for EI itself

Thats what I am suggesting and pretty much Willie Walshes point on Morning Ireland this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

wow remember them.

Takes me back to the good old recent enough days and flying on the most beautiful aircraft i ever set eyes on, Spanair MD81. 😍

Air lines such as Alitalia, MALEV,

Used to travel "business" quite often on BMI, and for anyone who can remember it was front 4 rows maybe with that blue curtain. You got a copy of the times and a coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

@Brendan Bendar It’s been referenced here about others in the IAG group receiving more than what the EI pilots are asking for. But let’s pre empt the rebuttal of BA being massive and IB being a different market (both fair points too tbf) and move away from airlines in the same group

LH in 2022 got an 18% increase over 3 years, or 6% per year, more anually than EI are looking for

VS rejected a 29% pay offer, a smaller less profitable airline who compete with EI on a number of TA routes who want more

U2 pilots got 30%. Now they don’t compete per se but operate in the same market

And the closest direct competitor

FR got between 15% and 18% in the last year or so, and they don’t even have a union!

What evidence do you have that "a lot of middle and senior managers are lifers".

W Walsh a respected exec in the highest echelons of the aviation industry has suggested that the proposed salary increases will harm the airline .Do you disagree with his judgement and why?

What do you mean by "hiring enough staff to cover everything" ?

What is everything?

What companies that you know of hire enough staff to "cover everything"

He hheh All those thrived and are doing well now are they ?

Oh dear!

Clearly never worked in or close to EI no?? 😜😂

• Advertisement

Did you not kind of see the trend in the airlines i mentioned……………………………..And the reminiscing line to begin with……….

And my post was very mch with regards the love of Aviation, and not how they were managed…………..

Closest direct competitor…. Do ei pilots have the same terms and conditions as FR? Always wondered about that.

Would be interested in hard numbers instead of % increases.

Increases from what?

I didn't … my apologies, should have seen it.

Nice post.

Good question, I don’t know what FR’s are tbf other than some basic stuff, they work a 4-2 split and rotate between lates and earlies but I don’t think they can bid, whereas EI work a 5-3 split (short haul) and can bid flights, report times etc. Someone with more info on what FR’s terms are can chime in tho.

Edit: FR 5/4 shift patterns as per Wazzles post

Post edited by Captain_Crash on

Lots of questions there Brendan, but seeing as how I am anon as much as you are who's to say what I know to be true and what you know to be true. For all you know, I could be a 16 year old kid with an interest in big shiny flying things and you could be an Indo hack looking for your next story.

At the end of the day we are on a message board talking but you are oddly specific in your questioning of those who suggest something that is different to your narrative.

5 on 4 off is what your referencing?!? Yeah I don’t know Ryanair terms as I’ve managed to just prove 😂😂😂

In the afternoon it was the London Standard! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

BA took over that route from bmi and you can still get those seats and the curtain if you want it.

5 days ON - 4 Days OFF (5 Earlies - 4 OFF - 5 Lates - 4 OFF). LEAVE: RYR Contract: 1 x Calendar Month OFF (19 Days Paid leaves, the rest are Days OFF according to the 5-4 roster) + 10 Ad Hoc paid days, 150€ per day, (you can choose as many days as you want, single days, block of 5 etc. for a total of 10 per year).

😁

• Advertisement

I only did that route with BA last month, although it was a 319, no curtain 😢

Good synopsis there CD, sorry for the kind of forensic response

However when one makes a lot of ‘broad brush’ claims like a lot of EI middle managers are “lifers”

one has to tease that out.

Now I am merely commenting on what I hear on MSM and evaluating their input in what I hope is an fair minded conclusion.

You can rest assured I am not anyone in a journo mode trying to get a story out of this.

Hopefully we can continue to contribute here without any rancour or bad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Get Real

Im a

I'd feel slightly more sympathy for EI pilots if the terms of the job were similar to other carriers.

But it has to be said, seeking the wage increase they are, but forgetting the massive benefits of a 22% annual employer contribution to a Defined Benefit pension. As well as 44 days annual leave compared to 28 for Ryanair.

I don't mean to offend anyone and always support workers right to action.

But, loses a bit of legitimacy for me when some amazing benefits are left out and it's a slightly different narrative. I don't begrudge them those benefits. But let's at least acknowledge they exist and are of a higher standard than other airlines.

Taking the package in it's entirety, combined with the offer that was on the table, I don't think it's an unfair deal. If they wanted 25% pay increase, fine, but something has to give on those pension and annual leave terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭sailing

The reason for the annual leave difference is Ryanair operate a 5 days on 4 days off roster. Aer Lingus operate a 5 days on and 3 days off roster. Twice a year Aer Lingus operate a flexible roster which means the fixed system is disrupted for 30 days. Invariably it means they work a five days on, two days off roster.

The 44 days leave you talk of only applies to Short Haul pilots. Long haul have the same amount as those quoted in Ryanair, without operating a fixed type roster. Over the course of the year Ryanair pilots have significantly more days off than any Aer Lingus pilot.

The 44 days leave only applies to short haul pilots with significant years of service. Not all pilots receive that and when they do it’s weighted towards the winter months. It cannot be taken in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Willie Walsh is scaremongering on behalf of his buddies in Aer Lingus. Forecast profits over the next few years are beyond 2018 and 2019 levels. This pay claim would absolutely not destroy Aer Lingus. Can anyone justify Willie's claims? EI make hundreds of millions in profit typically. At the high end of EI managements own estimates this pay claim would cost €40m. I think IALPA dispute that it's that much, but even if it's accurate, the company will still be making hundreds of millions of Euro in profit annually. To say it would ruin them is simply not credible. It's plain to see they can quite comfortably afford this pay claim.

Worth noting Aer Lingus spent over €25m hiring airplanes during 2023, most due to a lack of pilots and engineers. That money would have gone an awful long way to sorting out this pay claim. It could also have pushed their margin above BAs. So for all the posters who think the BA pilot deal is not a fair comparison because of the difference in the scale of the companies; if EI weren't being so mismanaged it would have outperformed them. Do you think the EI pilots would be justified in their claim if that money had gone into the profits instead of to Privilege Style's bottom line?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jellies

There is a reason he had those figures at the tip of his tongue (which I alluded to earlier). From a pilots perspective similar airlines are EasyJet, BA, and Lufthansa who's pilots all had recent 20% plus rises. So it seems to be the going rate. You are right to ask questions (and no problem with that at all) but the main issue I had was regarding WW as some kind of independent actor in this when nothing could be further from the truth 🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Most companies have closed off DB pensions to new entrants or completely closed them down. And existing members and new entrants on a DC scheme. Even Irelands biggest pensions provider have closed down their DB scheme. Just had a nosey on Pilot recruitment company puts in 21% which is extremely generous and the members put in 11%.

No where does it say the scheme is DB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Labour court says they're not intervening for now, will review in July......

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭notuslimited

The Labour Court statement is a very disappointing outcome for the thousands of passengers affected by the impending industrial action. A plague on both your houses, IALPA and IAG alike.

Advertisement