Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It misses the point entirely, I could easily have said a fella killed in a car crash with a positive covid test he would go down as a covid death….the point was that the death figure was misrepresented which is why so many people didn't know that there was such low excess death numbers in Ireland.

So, you wouldn't answer my 3 points, that deaths, hospitalisations and including people who were not sick had no symptoms in the daily numbers was misrepresenting the impact covid was having.

You wouldn't answer a simple follow up question regarding whether you think it would be easy for a hospital to discern who was put in hospital becuase of covid and who caught covid whilst in hospital.

You wouldn't answer basic questions about the impact of those misrepresentations in terms of Nphet policy.

And you claim to "understand the data"!!!!! You are a complete bluffer, that is all you are!!"

Come back to me when you figure out how we were told on one hand there was near ten thousand deaths, with a daily death count for nearly two years, and we have a Government that claims there was no excess death in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's statistics based on prediction.

At the risk of repeating this. In 2020 to 2024 Ireland was predicted (based on history and many factors) to have a certain annual death count. In that period around 10,000 deaths due to Covid were recorded, but we also experienced around 9,000 deaths less than normal (due to pandemic effects e.g. less people dying to respiratory diseases, infirm and elderly dying sooner to Covid, etc). Straightforward to do the math there. Basically we didn't have that much of an excess.

Is there a part of that you don't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

So why do you insist on calling persons who missed/did not take the first Covid Vax ( but have no objection to other vaccines) "anti vaxxers". Yet you seem to have a different opinion of the millions of other 'anti vaxxers' who missed the follow up boosters., Or am i wrong? Do you regard those people as anti vaxxers or just lazy/ignorant/misinformed for not getting their follow up shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,077 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

World of difference between 'missing' the first covid vaccines and the boosters. The gain from the boosters was marginal \ a topup compared to the difference the original vaccination doses made. The original vaccination still provided durable significant protection against severe covid. The infection protection provided by the booster topup waned. So it's a totally different decision to make based on hassle versus benefits. Also, by the time boosters were rolled out to under 50s, the pandemic situation had changed significantly with Omicron and the hassle\benefit decision had changed again. They looked at the recommendation from authorities, did not dispute the benefits \ rationale the authorities gave, but weighed up the hassle versus benefits versus perceived risk and decided not to. They don't go around urging other people to do likewise.

Whereas if you look at the most vocal of those who refused to get the original doses, we can see clear anti vax tropes being disseminated, box ticking bingo of 'big pharma', 'dangerous', 'untested' and even 5g etc. The information from the authorities on vaccination benefits are disputed, usually with misinformation or 'just asking questions' tropes. They attempt to influence others to not take vaccines using these tactics.

And if you have no objection to other vaccines, and are concerned somehow that other vaccine uptake will be affected - it is strange that you do not challenge other anti vax misinformation disseminated on boards, such as about the flu vaccines, or misinformation about covid vaccines that you know to be untrue. I don't recall seeing a single post from you doing so. Punctures your pretence to not be anti vax and somehow concerned about uptake of other vaccines.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you can't accept a case where you were clearly and blatantly wrong that has been explained to you in very simple language, how do you expect anyone to answer something that is more complex?

You will gish gallop away again and continue lying about everything.

You accused me of lying, yet you seem unable to either accept or tell any very simple truths.

Of course i dont go challenging other vax misinformation. My only interest is the mRNA Covid one because that was the one I was hugely pressured to take with a lot of my liberties taken if I did not. I have no interest in other vaccines as they are well proven and tested. No interest in 5g chips, flat earth theories or even the moon landing. I have questioned why they are struggling to get back on the surface of the moon a few times not the initial landings. I'm not a fan of genetically modifing anything and am into my organic farming. And yes i dont trust big pharma and I dont believe the mRNA vaccine was adequately tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Shoog

You clearly don't have a clue how excess deaths works. Excess deaths is cause agnostic - it doesn't matter how you died. It's a statistical way of looking at changes in death rates from year to year. If COVID caused excess deaths it will appear in the excess deaths rates regardless of how the death was recorded.

Your post content contradicts this in what it says and as importantly does not say. Someone who was not an anti-vaxxer, we would see a balance of posts, pros and cons of what information is under discussion about covid vaccines.

So nope, there's no "of course", not when you are also simultaneously trying to pretend you're concerned about uptake of these 'other' vaccines. You can't even keep up your own charade.

I didn't see any posts from you extolling the benefits of non mRNA Covid vaccines either. So there's another sham your own posts contradict.

You try to distort things and present yourself in some middle ground between anti vaxxers and pro vaxxers, but we don't see any of that in your posts. In your posts it is just constantly negative, all we see in your posts are the standard anti vax tropes. Zero challenging of misinformation about any vaccine, covid or otherwise, mRNA or otherwise.

With added conspiracy theory nonsense about moon landings et al. Quelle surprise.

Here's some of the earlier posts on the thread you have contradicted in the above post.

"Im and engineer with interest in genetics. Ive no problem with Genetic modelling/alteration."

In recent post: "I'm not a fan of genetically modifing anything".

"This is the type of person that puts future Vaccine rollouts at risk."

In recent post: "Of course i dont go challenging other vax misinformation. My only interest is the mRNA Covid one."

Over the course of this thread, you have been at various points:

"Im an engineer with interest in genetics."

"actually am a brilliant and highly successful landlord."

"am into my organic farming"

I think I have provided sufficient justification here to say that your post content cannot be reconciled with each other. The posts come from fantasy island by way of conspiracy theory land. You are an anti vaxxer who will say anything in your posts to try to justify that, even trying to maintain the sham that you are not an anti vaxxer. Anybody with a real argument or case would not need to resort to such embellishments. That is clear.

It seems there's nothing you will say from one post to the next we should afford any weight to, as you are likely to contradict it a few posts later to support a self-serving argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Then what have you?

In a biological or medical field please because your understanding of vaccinations is horrendous.

And yes, reading in depth molecular biology scientific papers is not something one with a BSc. tends to do on a regular basis. Even having written dissertations in molecular biology.

Edit: You're an engineer??? Oh ffs, so you know the square root of feck all in this topic.

Organic farming? Oh lord

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

Im out of this thread. The view that anyone who did not take the initial Covid Vaccine is an extremist anti Vaxxer is entrenched in the extremist pro Vaxxer mindset. As in any situation dealing with extremists it never ends well. Adios Amigos

Yeah; go build a bridge or something, with your engineering qualification

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

But you ignored the scientific evidence of the South Africans doctors, who discovered the Omnicron variant.

What scientific evidence did I ignore? It's your accusation, so you should be able to support it.

Please provided the referenced scientific evidence then. Actual evidence, not you cherry picking out of context a single word 'mild' from a media headline, and stripping out all the rest. So go ahead.

In its absence your accusation is baseless and scurrilous. Actually, it appears to be projection.

So again, readers of the thread can judge for themselves the credibility of any claims made by you, either about the content of this thread or Covid.

The disease was not described as 'mild' in absolute terms, but milder relative to other forms of covid.

Because, in reality, here's evidence which takes in data from South Africa, and was already posted to the thread that you have ignored and misrepresented last time you tried to peddle this canard.

Some people infected with Omicron and its subvariants have still developed severe disease and had to go to the hospital, and some died. For that reason, experts continued to express concerns that a large volume of cases in a particular area could overwhelm medical centers, making it difficult to treat severe cases…The study concluded that the newer strains of SARS-CoV-2 have potential of high transmissibility and milder disease for the population by large, however, for patients with comorbidities have a higher proportion of adverse outcomes, irrespective of the variant.

Why the need for evidence, we are both in agreement. Onmicron was mild, we all witnessed that. Just like the SA doctors who discovered the variant did.

You took exception to the word "mild". I took the word mild to mean exactly what the doctors said it was, a mild variant. It was mild when it spread from SA and it was mild when it got here!!

I take exception to it because that's not what I said, that's not what the evidence says, and before you go off on another tangent or deflection with answering a question with a question…

You were asked to produce evidence to support your accusation against me, that I ignored evidence.

When asked for evidence, the response is: "Why the need for evidence".

The classic response of someone caught out peddling nonsense canards.

In the previous post I called your accusation false, scurrilous baseless. That description stands.

You have demonstrated time and time again your posts do not accurately describe the content of this thread, or the content of the sources you cherry pick from. Sources you invariably fail to provide a link to.

A mild variant, that does not mean mild in absolute terms, that does not mean mild in terms of impact on public health. You cherry picked one word out of context in an utterly disingenuous and deceptive manner.

This is not mild.

For that reason, experts continued to express concerns that a large volume of cases in a particular area could overwhelm medical centers, making it difficult to treat severe cases…

Your posts bear no relation to the truth, and multiple posters over the course of this thread have established this.

Well maybe I misunderstood. I thought you dismissed the scientific view of the doctor who discovered the Omnicron Variant. If that is the case, then I got what you said wrong.

I'm glad we both agree that Onmicron was mild, that's the first time we've agreed on anything!!! The Government at the time didn't get the memo though!!!

This is coming from the fella who wouldn't produce the death numbers over the last few years despite being asked several times….

I know exactly what excess death is thank you. That is why I have repeatedly asked you for evidence on a claim you made a week ago. Now, I will ask again, can you provide us with the evidence for the claim t=you made about excess deaths in Ireland over the last 4 years.

The South African doctor did not say it was 'mild', you continue to pick a word out of context from a sentence when you use a single word like that without qualification. If you intend to mean 'mild variant', why wouldn't you just say so?

So no I do not agree that it was 'mild' as a single word description without qualification.

A mild variant, that does not mean mild in absolute terms, that does not mean mild in terms of impact on public health. A milder more transmissible variant of Covid still has the potential to put many cases into hospital.
    And we can see from what happened in Hong Kong when a population with a large number of people unvaccinated was hit by Omicron. The impact there was not mild.

The below is exactly what happened.

Some people infected with Omicron and its subvariants have still developed severe disease and had to go to the hospital, and some died. For that reason, experts continued to express concerns that a large volume of cases in a particular area could overwhelm medical centers, making it difficult to treat severe cases…

Why do you keep putting words in their mouth?

They are quite clear that it was Milder and not Mild.

A impact at 50kmh is milder than 80kmh but it is not mild. Stop, intentionally, misrepresenting others to attempt to bolster your, flawed, argument

• Advertisement

What in god's name is your obsession about the word "mild". We all know what the doctor meant by the word mild. How are we even discussing this when we agree that Omnicron was a mild variant, just like we experienced, just like the doctor said we would….my god, this is getting weird.

Because it is the same thing. Honestly lads, this is getting odd. If we got a new variant of Covid, and it was described as mild, you assume they mean it is a mild covid variant. You don't think you'd get into a ridiculous argument about the definition of mild.

I think you need to go back and re-read the thread, because the only poster you've described there is yourself.

You've shown zero inclination to actually look at the full context of what the South Africans said, you have failed to provide a single source to support your argument, which appears to consist of endlessly repeating the word 'mild' with zero foundation or supporting evidence. Who is this 'doctor'? What was the full context of what they said?

Meanwhile, in the real world, as was cited on this thread with reference to evidence, Hong Kong was severely hit by Omicron when it arrived there; exactly as per the experts cited in the articles posted to the thread predicted. I predict next you will ignore or dismiss the experience in Hong Kong on tenuous self-serving grounds.

Milder ≠ Mild

Learn to read before you try to act all scientific

I posted a BBC article. The doctor who discovered the variant described it as mild. It was consistent with what the SA experienced. They didn't have the protection of the vaccination rates we had.

We were hit by Omnicron, it was mild. I don't need to produce any documented evidence for something we all witnessed, a mild variant.

It is beyond obscure that there is any discussion on Omnicron, we lived through it. Of course, the experience of living through it was a little different from what our Government were saying at the time…it was bizarre to witness in real time, we were being pumped full of fear, for a variant that was mild….it seems, there are some on here who still can't compute what happened….

Ha ha haaaa…..you seem like the scientific sort alright!!!

You don't need to produce documented evidence, but without it your claims have no credibility, as we have seen. Because when you do produce any sort of link, we find it doesn't actually say what you claim it says.

You see, this is what the BBC article actually says:

Dr Angelique Coetzee, the South African doctor who first spotted the new Covid variant Omicron, says the patients seen so far have had "extremely mild symptoms" - but more time is needed before we know the seriousness of the disease for vulnerable people.

This is what happens when you cherry pick one liners out of context and ignore what is actually being said.

In the context of this thread, the important point is that you have stated the reason we didn't suffer more from Omicron versus elsewhere was because "They didn't have the protection of the vaccination rates we had."

So, there's no reason for anyone to feel ashamed of getting Covid vaccination, Omicron or no. Vaccination was important.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Got original vaccination and boosters every 6 months. Still wear N-95 and socially distance. Have not caught Covid-19. As added benefits I have not caught the flu or a cold during the same time period: over 4 years. Have experienced no side effects from vaccination and boosters, except for a sore arm for a couple days.

I do not comprehend your “ashamed” meaning in the title of this thread; or any claims that the Covid vaccine does not help given what the preponderance of scientific studies evidence have suggested during the years of this pandemic.

Granted there have been only short and midterm studies conducted so far, because Covid has not been around over 5 or more years to allow for longitudinal studies to occur. But the sample sizes of millions have suggested that vaccination efficacy may aid in population immunity or the reduction of hospitalizations. Furthermore the reported cases of potential harm from Covid vaccinations have been tiny in comparison to the potential benefits for millions of vaccinated people.

Your question of feeling guilt consequently appears meaningless both anecdotally to me personally, as well as what has been suggested from the scientific literature thus far conducted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It's funny that on a thread that started out attempting to discredit the vaccine, it is actually the vaccine that is one of the reasons that Omicron is considered to be milder than Delta. The population had a greater level of immunity by the time Omicron came around. Ashamed LOL.

Also the conclusion of the study clearly states 'milder' not 'mild', you are pretending they are the same thing, they are not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10242243/#sec4title

The current study reveals that patients infected with the Omicron variant had a 2-fold decreased risk of death than the patients suffering from the Delta variant. Similar to studies performed in South Korea , South Africa, and Canada, there is a remarkable decrease in the disease severity relative to previous variants such as Delta (B.1.617.2) which can be attributed to changes in the virus, that limit its ability to spread in the lungs and, probably most importantly, to the increased
    immunity in the population from previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and vaccination.

Advertisement