Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

Very easy manage when Dublin have pick of players they have and only 3 meaningful games a year. Imagine if Derry, Galway, Mayo had to just have players fit for 1/4 or semi final stage every year

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Good luck against the Kingdom, hopefully a good few of Yee travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Mackinac

I hope so, every man, woman and child in the county needs to be galvanised at this point! It’s going to be a tough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭threeball

If Galway are all cagey and reluctant to go at Dublin they'll be beaten easily even if they have the full team out which I can't see happening. We could trouble them but our record against Dublin is woeful.

Kerry are starting to motor well, I can't see Derry being able to hold them on a fast pitch. They're not what we thought they were earlier in the year.

I think Armagh will beat Roscommon fairly easily. Roscommon fell over the line against a Tyrone team which gave them the run of the pitch for 35mins and aren't even a good team when they do get going.

Donegal will have far too much for Louth but hopefully you'd like to see them giving it a good rattle. As long as they don't take a pasting I think they'll be happy enough with their year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Barlett

I was at that game, it was winning it with the last kick of the game more than anything that lead to the celebrations. The last time Mayo had beaten Dublin previously was 2022 so hardly ages.

I’m always bemused by people who look down on a county celebrating a win…especially a last minute one, should everyone just shuffle out quietly and go home? Is that what you think everyone should do on Hill 16?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It was their first win in 12 years in Castlebar, don't know how you define ages.

My point stands. Dublin occupy the headspace of the Mayo players and supporters. The celebrations were manic that evening. Of course teams and supporters should celebrate, but avoiding relegation or winning the League title are really the only reasons to go wild in a League game.

I found it strange, the level of celebration, you are free to differ, that is what opinions are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is a point there to an extent. But the top counties in all provinces have it handy enough except Ulster where they are out for war in attritional style of football.

But I mean playing NY, Leitrim or Sligo are hardly "tough" taxing encounters are they?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

1957 ALL IRELAND FOOTBALL FINAL.

LOUTH DEFEATED CORK

DERMOT O BRIEN THE BAND LEADER AND VOCALIST WAS THE LOUTH CAPTAIN

KERRY WERE BEATEN BY WATERFORD IN THE FIRST ROUND IN MUNSTER

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

A win in Dublin, a win in Castlebar, they’re one and the same. You’re free to find it strange , but for me if you can’t celebrate a last minute winner against a rival - what’s the point in following a team?

Of course Mayo are obsessed with Dublin that’s never been a secret, sure winning the All Ireland is an obsession in Mayo, we all dream about it so obviously you’re going to be obsessed with the team that stops you from doing that , it’s no big secret though, it’s just a natural follow on from the last decade .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think it holds them back, that there are psychological issues that need addressing in the camp. Won't say any more on it, made my point.

• Advertisement

Ah think the psychological issues are more to do with winning an AI and how often it’s been lost. But anyway we’re far away from that now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

Agree to a point, but Sligo are improving and seem to have good structures in place. However most years there is usually 2 tough games between the top 3 in Connacht. Injured players dont get the same chance to recover. There are probably 3 or 4 Dublin subs that would get into every team in the country so injuries much less of a concern.

Not Dublins fault, but the structure is completly flawed and provincials are worth nothing more than the same as winning the league. Attendnces at provincial games highlights this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I agree with you 100% on the structures League is the best competition by miles, the provincial structure is just daft in this day and age,

Looking at the Quarter Finalists it again shows me that the league does not lie.

Armagh - promoted to div 1

Roscommon - relegated from div 1

Dublin - div 1 finalist

Galway - div 1

Donegal - promoted div 1 - won div2

Louth - div 2

Kerry - div 1

Derry - div 1 winners

So that is 5 teams who were div 1 last year, the other two got promoted to div 1. Louth are the only "wildcard" county.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As well Mayo and Monoghan lost to D1 teams, Tyrone lost to Roscommon a D1 team that was relegated beat Tytone a D1 team.

Louth beat Cork bother are D2 teams

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Dublin and Kerry should win their games pulling up. Galway and Derry will struggle after the weekend.

The GAA need to eliminate the preliminary quarter finals if they are going to continue with this system, as it adds very little.

If Louth and Roscommon had a two week break you'd tip them to come close to beating Donegal or Armagh, but its going to be a huge ask with the short turnaround.

The current championship format is tailor made for Kerry and Dublin who can ease their way into the championship and remain fresh for any big tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Derry is a tough draw for Kerry but a challenge they will welcome. No point being in the championship for longer than necessary. Derry left the semi-final behind them last year.

At least it looks like it'll be the end of the format this year…it is without doubt the worst format they have ever had. Full of contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

And notice that the free flowing teams, the ones that are scoring are the ones that win All Irelands.

Now I know that you can't expect a team with lesser talent to just try and go toe to toe with the better teams, and such teams have success to a certain extent.

But you're not going to win an All Ireland if you can't score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I think the round robin has probably had its day. It was an experiment starting with the Super 8s but hasn't brought anything other than long championships that play into the hands of the likes of Kerry and Dublin who have the resources. It was either dead rubber games or else trying to avoid dead rubber games by allowing 3rd place finishers stay in the championship which in turn leads to the farce this year. Now we are facing into quarter finals where some teams are exhausted and have a long injury list, without any break.

Bring back the straight knockout (with qualifiers 😊 )

The problem with the present system has nothing to do with a round Robin to be part of the competition.

The problem is that it's not a stand alone competition and the tier is too large. Every time we go to reorganise football vested interests basically te provincial councils are in play.

16 teams for a top tier in football are too many. 12 would be plenty and allow for two groups of six. Next for any competition to have meaning there has to be relegation as well as promotion or a championship cup in play.

The league is popular as teams are mostly at the same level or at least competitive with each other, the flaw in the league is two up two down in promotion relegation. As it guarantees a yoyo affect a lot of the time. Problem with 12 at top tier is how to manage tier or tiers below.

We basically need to lose the provinal championships, set up a senior football tier and promote the winner of the lesser tier and relegate a team out of the upper tier every year

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Last weeks prelim quater finals there was two results out of the four against the odds with Derry and Louth winning.

This weekend i can see all four group winners winning and heading through to semi finals but usually there is an upset.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Giving the preliminary quarter finalists a 2 week break would be good as they are already playing an extra match with only 1 weeks recovery, and are risking injuries anyway so it's enough of a punishment as such.

I'd favour the qualifiers returning but it should use league placing for balanced draws. 24 non provincial finalists playing off for 7 places.

The Tailteann Cup can be a 16 team straight knockout for counties who fall at the qualifier hurdles.

The All-Ireland 16 can be the double elimination format the GAA seem in favour of. All 16 in Round 1. 8 winners in Round 2A and 8 losers in Round 2B.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭GBXI

This is the answer to practically all of football's problems. I said as much in my own response to the football committee's survey. The only thing I disagree with you on is 12 teams is also too many for the top tier - for me it's 10 teams max. Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Galway, Ross, Tyrone, Derry, Donegal, Armagh, +1 of Monaghan/Louth/Cork.

The provincials are everything that is wrong with football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The Tailteann Cup can be a 16 team straight knockout for counties who fall at the qualifier hurdles.

I'd disagree here - I'd say it benefits those weaker teams massively by having them together for an extra month or so and all the training, etc. that goes with it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Then we will start the circus all over again. Complaints about teams training all year, and then getting only two or three games. The current format gives everyone at least four games. The Qualifiers left many with only two games. The format also provides extra games for the strong teams to sharpen up for the latter stages. Mini leagues are a well established format in sports.

But it is not without extreme jeopardy for those who fail to win their groups. Only going for two years, and it has been anything but predictable. Tyrone, Mayo, Monaghan and Cork were in the QF's in 2023, none of them made it in 2024. New on the scene, Donegal, Roscommon, Louth and Galway. The old reliables (if that is an appropriate phrase for Year 2), are Dublin, Kerry, Derry and Armagh.

Ten teams mean unbalanced groups in that avteam will have no game each weekend unless you intend to have one group 9 rounds in the championship.

Two Groups of six top team to semi's second and third play off accross the group.

Slava Ukrainii

There's an acceptance growing under the current format that three strikes and you should be out.

Now, if all teams have at least a qualifier spot, everyone has at least two bites at making the All-Ireland series. If both the All-Ireland 16 and the Tailteann 16 did go with a double elimination format, counties are more or less getting at least 4 games - at least two to make the All-Ireland and two at whichever level they qualify for.

If the Tailteann was split in two, it might be better. A Tailteann 8 and a Third Tier 8 in double elimination format. Both finals can be curtain raisers to All-Ireland semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Anyone voting for the format knew that the mini leagues could easily see teams progress with two losses. On top of a loss in their Province. It got 95% approval.

That is the beauty of the format. Redemption and a QF place for those with the desire to shake off their earlier failures in game 3 and then dispose of one of the favourites in the Preliminaries. Like Roscommon and Derry did at very difficult venues. There is nothing wrong with the format which is so loaded with jeopardy. And it needs a minimum of three games for everyone following the Provincials. Just to even up the unfairness a bit.

If it does go back to knockout Qualifiers, then the Tailteann would have to go.

• Advertisement

Where is the acceptance growing. As further tiered Tailteann finals being curtain raiser tp the AI finals there would not be enough tickets and the first two games would be before a half empty stadium.

The problem of integrating NY and Londan into the system. My own preference is moving Tailteann and other tiered finals out of CP.

Everyone now agrees that moving the Minor finals out of CP to appropriate sized stadia. If anything a finals weekend with the Tailteann final played on the Saturday in another stadiums

All we need is three tiers like in every other GAA competition except in intercounty football. Its not rocket science do exactly tge same as every other competition with teams relegated and promoted within the competition

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement