Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

but they are not actually Irish, that's literally just your opinion! Legally someone with Irish citizenship is Irish, someone born here to foreign parents is not.

IIm not suggesting that they are less Irish in the way they feel or have been brought up. It's the law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭randd1

People living long term under the rule of autocrats are fundamentally a weak people. I see no strength in the likes of the Russians, Chinese, North Korean or other such people for accepting a dictator as their lot.

Ultimately, people are the power, and accepting living under a dictator is a sign of a weak-willed people. Of course there are various reasons why this happens, but ultimately they are the ones that allow it to happen.

Whatever the faults of the West, Western democracy is by far and away the greatest form of governance the world has ever seen, offers the greatest freedoms, and despite some situations, puts the power of the country in the hands of the people.

And the West flirting with this type of autocracy is a potential disaster for humanity, and I believe the Western flirtation with autocracy is a sign of our decline into weak-willed societies like Russia and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I wouldn’t disagree with you, you’ve said you’ve got the passport but if you weren’t born here some might not agree, as we’ve seen above.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I believe certain cultures: in middle eastern and certain African countries due to inherent tribalism baked in, cannot ever manage a democracy.

Best case scenario: a strongman of a dominant group is better than equally matched but perpetually warring small groups.

People who post "eat the rich" anticapitalist memes have no idea how fun it is/was living under Communism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭cms88

While no one is justifying it, at least i don't think anyone is anyway, the recent Natasha O’Brien case. It's yet another excuse for the same groups and people to push their agenda. She herself being one by claiming it only happened because she's female. These random attacks can happen to anyone both male and female, yet we're being led to believe it only happens to female. Would there be the same outrage if it had been a male? Orf course not an if anyone is to say otherwise the greatest cop out of ''whataboutism'' would be used.

It's also worrying to see ex female members slate the DF when they know full well they couldn't do anything until the trial was over before they could act.

I also see Limerick Pride getting in on it now by telling the DF they're not welcome to join them in their events.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I'd add to that by pointing to the fact that ideologues like Ruth coppinger have opposed the building of more prisons, claiming that such policies are classist

Same ideologues now complaining about lack of sentencing

"She herself being one by claiming it only happened because she's female."

Fair play to her for coming out against the judges decision but if it was a male or a woman from a lower class knocked into unconsciousness I very much doubt the media would have latched onto it as much.

• Advertisement

Agreed. She should be highlighting the ruling in the case, however to say it only happened to her because she's female just isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The guy said people who emigrated here as an adult and have NO Irish connection are not Irish.

Your dad is Irish.

I think that's fairly clear.

I see that misery Louise O'Neill with a banner topper on the examiner about we shouldn't be using women as punchbags.

Wow thanks captain obvious and there was I going to use a woman as a punchbag.

Another who's licking her lips at all of this as a way to try and keep herself relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Highlighter75

Funny how woke extremists recognise women are different from men when it suits their extremist agenda.

Oh that's good news - now she's made it clear, I can go pick up my prescription without risk of being decked by the Boots pharmacist.

You would be surprised how many people don't consider me "proper" Irish cos of the accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

Same tribalism is what actually fueled the african slave trade - different tribes capturing and selling people from the rival tribes as slaves. And speaking of slavery, unlike pretty much everything else it wasn't invented by the white western world, but the white western civilization was the first and only one who took serious actions to end it, including going to war with itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

People who post "eat the rich" are usually vegan…

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

People who post "trust the science" usually don't know or understand the scientific method - and this applies to both those who post is seriously and the ones who post it sarcastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm not surprised a fella like that slipped through the net for the army.

Any lad I know who joined the defence forces after school were like what Tommy Tiernan would describe as 'thick fookers who love sheds'. None of them ever lasted more than a few years either, certainly no promotion.

And you'd swear the Irish army was as psychologically wearing as the US/UK equivalent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Dated understanding, pathologised view of autism and autistic people - check

Dumb comparison with schizophrenia - check

There is no 'mild' or 'severe' autism, it's not the flu. This sort of ignorance is unsurprising since many people don't know what autism is. You've no idea the extent to which the high people you referenced have had to live their lives with some significant level of compromise, such as through masking which comes at a high personal cost. People have often been through the mill before even getting to point of being taken seriously. Are some autistic people arseholes? Yes, of course, but non-autistic people don't get to police how autistic people assert their identity. If you want to actually get clued in, listen to podcasts, watch webinars or read Eric Garcia, Pete Wharmby, Steve Silberman, Damian Milton, Fiacre Ryan, Francesca Happé

Things that are actually problematic

• People casually diagnosing someone based on a 30 second interaction, or behind their back. Disgusting, undignified and at worst, a form of entitlement. A clear knock on effect of "awareness".
    • No diagnostic pathway for autistic adults in the Irish health system
    • Most research looking at autism through the lens of a petri dish because it's about investigating biology, not helping people, services or lifespan and quality of life. This is primarily because the framing of autism and autistic people is deficits, deficits, deficits from decades of gatekeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

There is mild and severe autism, to say their isn't is pure bullshit.Every single health/mental condition that exists can be mild or severe, autism is no different.The fact that Autism is a spectrum disorder confirms this.

Some people who have autism it has a severely debilitating effect on their lives that they'll never be able to live a normal life and can't live independently

Other people who have autism are able to get on perfectly fine and live full lives.

I haven't compared autism to Schizophrenia, I compared having a mild condition with a severe one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Your thinking here is all through the lens of putting people in boxes. The third point is purely your perception of how they're living it. If their lives were fine, they wouldn't have a diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Surely by saying someone has Autism is also putting them in a box in the first place as you've labeled them s someone with a condition.

You can have any number of conditions and live a perfectly ok life where its only a minor inconvenience not a major one.

This applies to Autism , for some people it is extremely debilitating for others it isn't as debilitating.

Just because you have a diagnosis for something doesn't means it is always a massive deal, it can be just a little bump in the road of life.

You get a diagnosis for pancreatic cancer it almost certainly means you'll die, you get a diagnoses for Testicular cancer you'll probably live.They're both cancer but one is easier to treat than the other.This applies to every single condition in the world including autism , denying this is denying reality, autism is not all the same there are degrees to have debilitating it can be.

Plenty of those you deem 'mild' think of ending their lives, in part because of what the world asks of them (constant compliance). Does that sound like a 'little bump in the road' to you? It's likely some who die by suicide are undiagnosed, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No, because something can a charactristic without defining you. To take another point of this thread: I'm Irish, but it doesn't define me. It defines a lot of other people, sure - and power to them - but there are lots of other things define me and who I am and with a lot more accuracy.

I kind of got the point - correct me if I'm wrong - from you're original point that you were disagreeing with the idea of a "spectrum" which I interpreted as being against different scales or degrees of autism, but the rest of your post contradicted that so it wasn't clear. Coupled with the fact that there are different types of Autism - Aperger's for example - made the rest of your post kinda confusing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'v no idea why people are patriotic

Its literally pot luck you have no say in it at all, Iv more in common with people on the other side of the globe than i do with osme of my rat bag neighbours ,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Depends on what you mean by patriotic. What do you mean by patriotic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭danfrancisco83

They absolutely SHOULD put a road through St. Catherine's Park. It's the only thing that makes sense to connect N3 with N4. The park is not even that good.

Advertisement