Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after the 2 days of summer normal service has resumed. Dull, damp, dank and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Cheers fits, glad you got your hay baled. The neighbour next door is just after shaking his hay out this afternoon after a very drizzly morning. If the weather remained dry he could have baled today, but it's knife-edge stuff for him now.

It's like bingo now for me, eyes down model watching 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

I remember that feeling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Tomorrow the best of the weather will be towards the East up to 24c possible. More cloud in the west with rain threatening in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rugbyf565

It’s crazy how much better your quality of life would be just living 400km away across the water in London. They get so much more consistent sunshine and higher temperatures than us. I went over the Heineken cup final and it was about 21 degrees, lovely and sunny—meanwhile my family over in Dublin were sending me pictures of the 17 degrees rain in Dublin. Definitely considering relocating to outskirts of London, if not there then Berlin or Lisbon as my company has offices there.

• Advertisement

The main differences between us and our neighbouring countries further south east is our heatwaves only seem to last 2-3 days at most, miraculous if 4 days. Whereas when the likes of London/Paris/Berlin/Amsterdam get a heatwave, the sunshine lasts a whole 7 days. Whereas we’re punished over here, there’s always that lurking feeling of punishment for a few days of sunshine—rain showers, entire months of cloud cover, sudden temperature drops. I mean we have to beg and pray for just one calender day that’s >25 degrees a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Deep dive is on YouTube, also the UK has officially reached 30c first time since September 10th last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭appledrop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭yagan

I don't mind if it's cloudy as long as it's dry and warm. In shorts all day in the garden.

Cork harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Drizzle nearly all day in Dublin/Kildare. Hate a day like this - humid and grey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Some sunny spells here this evening. A nice evening in west Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Make the most of it, there is some seriously atrocious misery coming for the forseeable… perma cloud,rain, gloom and cool temperatures, it must soon be july.

Dosed in slosh while they lap up high summer across the entire continent, wall to wall sunshine, heatwaves, humid muggy days ,thunderstorms, sitting outside late into the night, while we sit in our damp depressing s*** heap of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jayno66

Lovely evening on the Beara Peninsula. Currently 18°c and comfortably warm in a t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭giveitholly

God the misery in here at times is unreal,some posters only seem happy when they can report that there is bad/poor weather on the way and don't seem to be able to enjoy fine weather when we do get it.

We would all love a heatwave buts it's Ireland and we will never have a continental summer here. And all the wishful thinking won't change that. Enjoy each day as it comes and for god sakes don't be getting hung up on forecasts past 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 33,467 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yip, after being cool earlier, it turned into a lovely afternoon and evening in the far North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah it’s so frustrating that the good weather never lasts more than a couple of days most of the time.

It’s the same in winter when a lot of us are looking for proper cold and snow. If it does come it only lasts a day or two and then back to Atlantic driven weather.

Something prolonged please!

By the way why does the reply to a quote function not work anymore.

Uhhh, chilly, init, down to 6 degrees tonight, time to turn the central heating on, gas, or in this case oil.

Woeful summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That was a beautiful evening in Galway. Had a lovely snorkel, water was crystal clear.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’m of the strong belief that Mother Nature always balances things out.

She’s a serious amount of balancing out to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭lolie

Lovely calm clear night out, can see the bats busy flying about.

There's a nice display of noctilucent clouds out at the minute, brightest I've seen in a few years.

Post edited by lolie on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

Really getting spoilt by the skies this year. Not as impressive as northern lights recently obviously but still impressive to see, not sure I've seen noctilucent clouds quite this striking round these parts before

So cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

After the rare sight of the Aurora in May June brings the also rare sight of nocticulent clouds tonight to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Can see it here in carrick on shannon in the distance still bright ish at 00:50

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Was out watching them too, only had my phone with me. Gorgeous night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Well said. I often think of the Mrs. Doyle quote when I'm browsing this thread - "Maybe I love the misery".

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Lovely bright warmish morning. 15c N Kildare

Weather for the next week or so doesn;t look too promising. But still confident once we get over the next 10 days or so that things will start to turn for the better.

Will happily accept 4 good weeks of the remaining 9 this summer is we can get a settled spell of temps at 20c+

was a bright clear morning,Cloud spilling in, rain on the way soon, thats the day finished. West Mayo.

Morning outlook is as bad as ever, no sign of any proper summer weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ascophyllum

No mention in the forecasts at all which is strange but tomorrow looks a bit stormy for the west and northwest coasts, mean winds of 60km and gusting to 80km will be a shock to the system for many.

Its standard fare for these coastlines in winter but there's a cohort of people on the coast in summer who aren't used to it, campers, summer houses, boats etc. Lots of garden furniture will be displaced!

Advertisement