Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

1196197198199200202»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Someone I known bought a brand new tractor once, the seller is known to be extremely tight. it ran out of diesel on its journey from the garage to the buyers house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I remember dealing with a large main dealer , - was buying an old banger ,that was kept in a different yard , so the sales man was driving me down there ,he had to go get petrol , and only put a couple of euro of petrol in - said that was policy - all the cars were run on vapours

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I remember my brother buying a Corolla in the mid 90’s. Met the seller at a petrol station to collect it. Rural Ireland. We were hanging around waiting for him and we hear this car roaring up the street. Unusual back then before boy racers were a thing.
    It was the seller, driving the guts out of the car. He pulled in and gave the car a few more hard revs before he got out. (even now, nearly 30 years later I still remember the big grin on his face as he did it)
    The B@&€&x was reviving all the petrol out of it before he handed it over.
    The aul lad was fuming and was about to walk away from the car only he knew he wouldn’t get the deposit back.
    It’s an attitude I’ve come across a few times in Ireland and the people have openly said that they ‘wouldn’t want to see someone else getting the benefit of something.’

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

A millionaire professional driver, driving around at night for the last 3 months with a dipped headlight gone, too mean to buy a new bulb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,032 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we recently traded in our car. It had 3/4 of a tank of diesel still in it, I was cursing my own stupidity (but in fairness I wasn't stinge enough to syphon it back out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I took a load of copies of the free newspapers in the local shop yesterday, for cleaning the windows of the house, great they are.

I remember someone once telling me newspaper is great for cleaning in windows, I thought to myself I'm not buying a paper just to clean the windows, until I realised there's loads of free ones I've been taking them ever since.

Newspaper is a stretch, just full of ads which I suppose makes sense

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Lonesome Rhodes

A fella I work with nice man but he's unbelievably cheap and he's on good money easily six figure salary as he's a manager. This is about the return plastic bottles this fella watches like a hawk for them, he asks others for theirs 'are you going to recycle that' etc anyway last week I was with him in the cafe close to where we work. As we walk out of the cafe he uses his hawk vision to spot a plastic bottle in a ditch on the otherside of the footpath. It was well wedged in and he had to get onto his knees and reach into a mucky bush in the pouring rain to get it. took him a good 30 seconds to get it and then he triumphantly turns around with his shirt sleeves destroyed in muck and possibly even a little ripped and holds the filthy crushed up bottle aloft declaring with a huge smile on his face 'can't believe people throw away good money like this' I had to remind him his efforts would get him 15 cents. 🙃

Anyone else know these plastic bottle zealots who would crawl through hell on their hands for that 15 cent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

We would pick up a bottle if there was one on the footpath when out for a walk. Then again it was something we did before the scheme to keep tidy near the house.But no way would I ask someone for their empty can/bottle or rummage through bins for them or ruin clothes in the pissing rain to dig out of ditch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The interesting thing would be his response if it didn't have the little deposit return logo .. i.e a mucky bottle needing recycling - but no 15 cents

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Advertisement