Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah, I knew they had to be fed well, they can take other things but consistency is key.

But didn't realise the plants in the north were mainly electric generating plants (possibly the reason NI has the edge on us for carbon valve on the grid.

The idea has been floated at our local co op, but by the sounds of it, you'd need 1000ac of good land commited to feeding it. Possibly needing extra hardware to take bales etc too. And a lot of testing so you got paid for quality.

There's also http://www.northwestenergypark.com/ currently going through planning (initial proposal was rejected ) being worked on.

I would be open to feeding one, but it would need to make sense, If I was to destock/reduce it's not a short term thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sounds like an impressive figure, half a gigawatt. And a nice increase compared to what was there the year before. But it is only one single panel installed last year per 4 people living in this country, to put things into perspective. We really need to install several GW of solar per year every year. And lots more wind. And then stimulate private investors to install a massive battery capacity (by paying them well for stabilising the grid)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think we'll be installing close to 1GW (maybe 800 MW) a year for the next few years - roofs and farms together.

So in a couple of years, there will be times on summer days when over 50% of demand is coming from solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Read an article today saying that the world is installing 1GW of solar per day now which sounds amazing but still only amounts to 5% of world generation. When the dirtiest coal is at 35% still…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The plan is apparently for 8GW by 2030, we're a 1GW now so it'll need to be around 1.2GW for the remainder

The problem is if energy prices start to fall then a lot of projects will be in jeopardy, so is there sufficient funding in terms of grants or government investment there to guarantee the projects?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

We'll be at 1600MW by the years end.

The prices are guaranteed at auction I think.

The government can adjust accordingly.

I'd be more worried in 4 or 5 years time cos I think oil prices will fall off a cliff.

Maybe, certainly despite OPECs best efforts it's continuing to hold it's price

I actually heard an interesting story on that, partly the relatively static oil prices are due to the US selling a chunk of their strategic reserve when prices are high and then buying it back when prices drop

It's a pretty clever way of preventing price spikes without controlling the market

Anyway, back on renewables, it's hard to know how the price of oil will be affected in the medium term. In theory as demand drops then oversupply should cause prices to go down

However, a lot of oil production like frakking becomes uneconomical when oil prices drop. So a lot of producers might start shutting down

My crystall ball reckons that oil will drop to around $50-60 per barrel before 2030, then it'll probably fly off a cliff

It's impossible to know but lots of people predicting a crash in oil prices in 2029/2030. It could happen before then.

Apparently we've just hit peak emissions globally. China's population is dropping and their emissions have just peaked also.

We'll hit peak oil demand in a few years, then it'll crash.

If the Ukraine war ended, then prices would drop immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are confusing capacity with generation. 1GW of solar in Ireland can only be expected generate at 11% of that capacity.

The ESB recently announced a grid scale PV farm at Bullstown of 8.5 MW and the cost works out at €1.29 billion per GW. The new 1.6 GW reactor recently commissioned in Finland cost €11 billion, but in terms of how much energy it will actually produce, it's a bargain at a quarter the cost of Irish grid scale solar over it's life span.

Australia added 2.5 GW of wind capacity last year but the amount of energy generated by renewables was flat overall, as there was less wind.

Renewables are going to near bankrupt countries pursuing them as a means of failing to achieve net zero.

• Advertisement

I can sort of agree with some of the arguments like Australia not having much wind last year, but weather patterns are (generally) pretty forecastable on a macro scale. If anything it'll get windier as the world gets hotter. They might have had a bad year, but next year back to normal and the year after could be bumper for all we know. Its probably not wise to focus down to one specific year.

Thing is though, adoption of these things typically drives the cost down. The reason why batteries/solar panels/wind turbines have dropped in price over the past 10-20 years, is simply cause we're installing them. We install more, the price will come down more. Maybe not the stellar drop we've seen previously, but it's never been better to install solar at home. Geez, even 2 years ago I was paying €150 for a panel from midsummer. Now I see some up there for €50. If 1 in 2 houses got on the solar bandwagon, that'd be a "good start" in my book.

Note: I'd be a fan of nuclear as an alternative to cover base loads. (just saying)

Taking your figures at face value there.

At 1.29 billion per GW, for 11 billion, would get you 8.5 GW of solar.

Granted at 11% (is this a kWh from Wp?) would be 0.9GW equivalent.

Although that reactor you mention, took 18 years to build, and it started construction in 2005. On an already established nuclear power plant. What would one actually cost now?

Does it even take decommissioning into account.

Wind/solar/batteries and biogas to fill in the gaps.

I used to be in favour of nuclear. But that horse has bolted over a decade ago. Far too expensive now, even if building plans worked to perfection, on time and within budget and if there was no waste issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's also the small issue of having just 5 seconds to replace 75% of the power of the largest single generator on the grid if it suddenly goes offline. And doing that without using fossil fuel based spinning reserve. So lots of storage.

And the more storage you have the more attractive renewables look.

Indeed. The storage is far more important than the renewables themselves. This is an easy problem though, it's commercially attractive to setup a storage facility and let software automatically make money for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When they say 1 gw of installed capacity , they obviously dont mean that the arrsy is expected to produce a gw per year ,

But what do they mean.. ,? If it was full sun everyday ? Assuming a 12 hour day ?

So what would an installed .gw. likely produce

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Rough off the cuff calculation, going on the JRC GIS
    https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

for optimal aspect and slope, will get about 850MWhGWh to 980MWhGWh per year for 1GW of panels depending on where you are in the country.

South facing at an angle in one of the better areas of Ireland (basically anywhere near the east coast, but not in NI), it is about par. So a 400W panel makes 400kWh per year. Or 1kW makes 1000kWh or 1MW makes 1000MWh and 1GW makes 1000GWh per year

Ireland uses about 30000GWh per year of electricity, so this solar PV provides about 3%

And to put it into perspective from a micro generation point of view: the average Irish household uses about 3MWh per year. About 7 panels on every house would 100% cover this.

I was off by a factor of 1000! Ninja edit time.

CRU has the annual use at 4200 [and 11000kWh of gas]

I think that figure of 4200kWh is either very old (when we used old incandescent light bulbs) or they are very new, taking into account EVs and heat pumps. Fact is that our electricity use will increase dramatically over the next few decades as we replace fossil fuels with electricity (renewables)

• Advertisement

https://cruie-live-96ca64acab2247eca8a850a7e54b-5b34f62.divio-media.com/documents/Energy-Monitoring-Report.pdf

Yeah section 6.1 has the CRU using 4,200 kWh as the average electricity usage. Far as I can remember it's always been in about the 4-5K mark. Sure, people can and do use more….but still a lot of muppets out there with incandescent lights!

We have 1.2GW of installed solar. That's output which means on a sunny day we can produce 1.2GW in theory but in practice it will be less so maybe 1GW.

It won't be for the full day but for some hours.

We produce over 600 MW from just a few solar farms at the moment. See "Irish solar energy bot" on twitter. This time next year this will hopefully over 1 GW.

Panels in Ireland actually often produce more than their rated wattage 😀 This is because the rating is based on ambient temp of 25C. The colder, the better the panels perform and in Ireland it is rarely 25C or over.

Ok. Thanks for info.

It's exciting times.

It's completely feasible that in 2 or 3 years that for a few hours on a few sunny days, 50% of grid demand will be coming from Solar. I think we're already around 15% or 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

On a cold, dark still winters evening, with everyone trying to cook and heat (pump) their homes, we will still need the full backup of fossil generation, or buy in from nuclear/fossil interconnectors, and this will be increasingly expensive, as it will have to pay for itself with much reduced demand, but still satusfy the full national demand at times. Fortunately, oil and gas turbines are relatively cheap to build and long lived.

I'm old enough to recall the ESB campaigns to electrify in the 60s, many homes and rural areas were barely a decade on the grid, electricity meant house light, perhaps a valve radio, and nothing else. The campaign to electrically heat water, cook. etc. was too successful, resulting in brownouts during the winter evenings, when lights would dim, cooker rings would barely glow, and those with valved b&w TVs would watch the image collapse and dim, as the voltage dropped critically low due to demand. I witnessed this night after night as a child. We will always need virtually full demand capacity in fossil, and grid capacity to support it's delivery, until such time as really effective storage of renewables is developed, and domestic storage makes financial sense. Underdeveloped grid infrastructure and generation capacity is a consequence of loss of demand due to large scale localised renewable projects, but when these go dark, we have to be able to revert, and the less often it's needed, the more expensive it's intercession will be. There really is no such thing as a free lunch.

It's definitely not new, was still 4200kWh when my house was built in 2017 and we'd easily use twice that between the heat pump and EVs

True, but if for 80% of the year 75% of our energy usage comes from renewables then that will dramatically lower our carbon emissions

And those standby generators can be made cleaner by producing and storing fuels in summer like biogas, biomass or even hydrogen. Not perfect, but still much better than the current fossil fuels dominance

I think we'll also need to look at different ways to heat homes. I've said before that district heating could be used in places like West Dublin to reuse waste heat from factories and data centers there

I realise you won't be heating a house in Kerry from a data center in Dublin, but if you reduce the heating demands of a few thousand houses at peak hours then that will have an overall positive result on the grid

I believe there's some areas of Scandinavia planning to go fully renewable by 2030. Can't find the article now but I'll try to dig it up

If they have a plan and are facing much harsher conditions then it should be feasible for Ireland

Yeah it's 4200 of electric AND 11000kWh of gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Would you have link for this peak emissions claim? It seems complete nonsense. EV sales have stalled world wide, China is going to add 200 GW of coal fired power over the next 6 years alone.

• Advertisement

You can Google it yourself.

It's just a guess anyway as we won't know if it's a peak or not until a few years time.

I think it's definitely possible. Europe and Americas emissions peaked a long time ago.

China's population is dropping now and they're adding an enormous amount of solar every year.

Lots of western countries have declining, aging populations and are adding huge amounts of renewables eg Japan, Korea, Italy, China and most of eastern Europe have declining populations.

The EV sales drop is just a blip.

The next gen of EVs will be very affordable. These are just coming on the market now eg BYD, Skoda, Dacia etc..

Batteries are predicted to drop 40% in price in next year or two. EVs will hit price parity with ICEs in a few years without grants. Then it's game over for the ICE.

Advertisement