Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Dowling and Arthur Gourounlian expecting first baby.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yep. No notion whatsoever what homophobia has to do with my post.

Anyway, I take it back. Blake isn’t the most pretentious name really.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Your first sentence...

'Baby should be well loved and well looked after... as long as it keeps generating clicks and likes'

What does this mean? Are you inferring that the baby will not be looked after if it doesn't get likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s not just attention seeking celebrities who use their children for publicity and attention .

Whole world wants to be approved and liked now. It’s rampant everywhere. Very little today is sacred, sentimental, private and dignified.

The baby is only a few days old. Maybe Brian and partner won’t be having this child as part of their celebrity lifestyle. Time will tell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The "baby blues".Hormones hit around day 3 or 4 after you give birth.You tend to get weepy.Lack of sleep does not help, she probably won't have that issue.

I was never really "into" hormones as an excuse for how I felt, never found they affected my mood massively, but they hit you hard about 4 days after you give birth, it's a very real thing.It was eye-opening for me.

Women who don't recover from that hit often go on to develop post natal depression, which is why you see a PHN and doctor quite often in the few weeks after you have a baby.They monitor you and the baby.

I'll be honest, I don't envy his sister right now.At least when you have a baby to hug and feed, despite the sleep deprivation, it then turns on other hormones in you that help you cope.I can't imagine what it would be like to give birth and not take the baby home.Horrendous.I hope there is some counselling available for the surrogate as part of this process, before and after.

• Advertisement

The gossip columnists won't be there to help her pick up the pieces. I honestly wonder how their situation will actually work. Is the surrogate just seen as an aunty now? Or to what extent will she be involved in raising the baby through first few months? I am honestly curious how it works. Of course there will be some who will pretend this is just like any other birth, just like any other parents blah blah blah. Anyone pretending that this is normal is a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah I’ve heard it from straight men and want to punch them, your wife is pregnant not we 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

She will raise the child do all the mother things the two lads will go shopping for Ralph lauren nappies and be seen with loads of baby gear bags and a nice pram in photos on insta. They will never touch a dirty nappy or allow sick and spittle on their designer duds. Basically the woman will be paid a wage to do the real stuff and like a previous poster they will wheel out the baby to affirm their love blah blah blah.

All these children will have an unusual slant on family & parenting when their turn comes if the mad world we live in hasnt imploded by then . Hopefully it will have. I can t imagine a government of the future generations as they are already up to their tits in confusion about whether they pee out a vulva or a penis or what they are, so that will indeed be a barrel of laughs, I hope i am dead and buried before that as it does not bode well no wonder Putin is trying to avoid all this **** in his country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I assumed that they will do the baby care and she will just visit as an aunt or something, but sure who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not to mention the baby, who is programmed to want her mother, to bond and nurse etc. Being separated from all she's ever known at birth is traumatic, and could very well lead to some detrimental effects when it comes to attachment

God, I remember the baby blues. The name really doesn't do it justice tbh, it sounds like a minor thing but it really isn't. I couldn't stop crying and thinking I was just awful at everything! I can't imagine the feelings that would come up for a surrogate 😔

• Advertisement

Separation from the mother, the person who carried the child for 9 months CAN cause a rupture in the child's early development. What's most important is that there will be a primary caregiver who will provide the necessary emotional and physical care.

A strong and secure attachment with a primary caregiver will go a long way to repairing that early rupture. It needs to be maintained though so the child must be told of his or her origins.

I wonder about the psychological component of being a surrogate Vs knowing you are the child's biological mother and will be raising your child. What if any part does it have to play in baby blues?

Would you feel emotionally different knowing that you have no genetic link to the child and no interest in being their mother?

Seems horrendous.

I'm opposed to surrogacy. Yes, people choose to do it for family/friends (women in very poor countries choose it out of desperation, how much of a choice is that really) - and nothing I say will stop this - but none of that changes how much I dislike it. That bond with the mother is so, SO essential for a child's development. It's the building blocks.

There is no guarantee though Fugue that the child will have a healthy bond with their biological mother.

What's more important is that there is A bond and attachment formed with a primary caregiver. Ideally it would be with the biological mother but life doesn't always work out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

Our politicians like to make out that we are lagging behind the rest of the EU in not legislating for surrogacy, but there are only 5/6 countries in the EU that have done so. Of those, Greece is the only one that allows surrogacy and has stringent requirements (the court has to be satisfied that the commissioning mother is unable to carry a child for medical reasons and that the surrogate mother is medically and psychologically fit to carry the child and give it up).

Commercial surrogacy is banned in all of the EU (under article 3 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the EU), yet our politicians don't seem to want to acknowledge this, and have no problems with women outside the EU having fewer rights than women inside the EU and seem willing to ignore the potential for abuse in international surrogacy and the lack of any ability to ensure that whatever local protections are in place for surrogate mothers are actually being followed.

EU countries that have legislated for international surrogacy have banned it. French citizens who contract an international surrogate will never be recognised as the parents of the child (meaning the child cannot be granted French citizenship), are barred from adopting the child and can end up in prison for it.

I can understand the logic behind allowing altruistic surrogacy, that someone can help family/friends out, but I can also see that it could lead to a confusing situation for the child, and potential ill-will between the surrogate and the child's parents, especially if there is a discrepancy between how the surrogate mother would raise the child and how the parents are raising the child.

The argument that loving parent(s) who don't include the gestational carrier (or mother as we would generally refer to her) are better than no parents or abusive parents is definitely appropriate for adoption, but it is less meaningful when talking about a child that is purposely born into that situation. In any debate on surrogacy (and on adoption) the overriding factor should be what is in the best interest of any potential child. The current situation is that it could be decided that parents are not suitable candidates to adopt, but if they have enough money they can have a child created and brought back to the country to be theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

I admit I have no idea who Brian Dowling is apart from that stint on Big Brother all those years ago and no concept of his partner. I wish them both the best but I echo the concerns around surrogacy. Not so much in this case as the sister isn't the child's biological mother and I'm assuming she offered to carry the baby, she will also be a figure in the child's life which I think is important. Where I have an issue is with women in poorer countries carrying babies for westerners, giving birth, never seeing the child again. Its exploitation.

This won't be popular but while I have every sympathy for any couple who can't have kids, I don't believe everyone should be able to have one by whatever means. Infertility has touched my own family and I have seen the toll it takes on a couple not to be able to have a child so I can understand the desperation but I think we've taken it too far now in the bid to give everyone what they want. Easy for me to say as someone who doesn't want kids I know but there is a life beyond children.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Breeding children is all about ego and reproducing yourself all the infertile couples should be asked to foster the poor unloved children in the country the government are crying out for people to foster.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,189 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Brian Dowling and his husband, Dancing with the Stars judge Arthur Gourounlian, will appear on The Late Late this Friday where they'll discuss the highs and lows of their surrogacy journey.

They will be joined by Brian's sister Aoife Dowling who acted as the surrogate for their son Blake, a topic which is explored in further detail in the upcoming documentary Brian & Arthur's Very Modern Family on Monday, 13 March

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The sister clearly has very little to be doing with her time or is desperate for money.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭carfinder

Exciting news. Such a brave trailblazing announcement. Hopefully a boy to make it a proper gentlemens family

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭highpitcheric

"expecting."

ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"Trailblazing"? Surrogacy is not new - it's happened before - many, many times before... .

For the people worried about "clicks": do you feel that way about every so-called celebrity baby, or just these ones?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,189 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The couple have become parents to another baby girl Blu Amar Rose Dowling

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

the ultimate accessory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Babies. Every animal species that every existed could have them. What exactly is the news story here ? Oh they are selling the baby on social media to earn some kind of fame and money off that. How nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

A man will never be able to provide the emotional or physical care the mother does. We are built differently, not to mention ,we don't carry the child for 9 months. The fathers bond is different. A child needs both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Strong statements but mostly guff really. Thankfully given the number of studies on gay parents which show children doing as well as - and in some few studies even better than more traditional counterparts - there is little to no reason to think anything you said above is true and/or relevant and/or important.

Over the years especially around the gay marriage referendum I heard people declare statements like yours over and over but never with any supporting evidence. Nothing has changed it seems.

I am yet however to find any actual example of types of "care" that one person can provide the other magically can not. Emotional. Physical. Or anything else. Nor have I seen anyone get into specifics of "bonds" and describe the differences which are somehow precluded.

In fact simple reliance on the word "different" is the hope that that word will carry the weight of the claim. But simply being "different" (even if we accept it is) does not mean "better" or "worse" or "ideal" or "less ideal" or anything else. Different is just that. Different. No more. No less. Biological connection to your two original parents in no way guarantees care or bond or anything else in fact.

Finally the word "need" is a strong one. Yet despite being the strongest of the claims it is the one with the least evidence. There is a world full of children grown up with single parents - step parents - gay parents - no parents - more than two parents - and many appear to be absolutely fine. Or at least as fine as their traditional counterparts. So clearly there is no "need" there.

Probably the only thing we can say given all the evidence is that the parented children who struggle most are children of single parents. Which given the stresses of modern life makes a lot of sense. They do not "need" a second parent but it certainly is a more significant struggle to have only one and more ideal to have two. Or any gender.

Much respect to those single parents who make it work! My children live with three parents (each their own two and one more) and even we struggle at times. I can barely imagine doing it on my own!

Of course the studies showing this are often misused by people as evidence that a father or mother specifically is required. Which is not at all what those data/studies say. Evidence related to an entirely missing parent is not evidence related to a specifically missing gender of parent. And those people should not pretend that something was studied when in fact something entirely different was studied.

Advertisement