Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If the third place teams come from groups C,D, E and F then England will play group E's 3rd place. Any other scenario and they'll play Netherlands. Essentially as long as the Czechs and Georgia don't win England will play Netherlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If Czechia win by no more than 3 goals it will be the 3rd in group E other wise it will be the Netherlands. Need to keep Hungary in the top 4 here for England to play Netherland basically

Here are the permutations that are left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bellingham, Trent, Foden, Rice, Kane.

All given criticism when it's quite obvious Southgate is the problem. They can't all be playing badly purely because they're all 'overrated'.

And by the way, Southgate is also a scapegoat merchant. Trent was the scapegoat, being the only change. Then Gallagher was the first sub, at HT, even though anyone could've come off. He's trying to tell everyone that if he had player who doesn't exist (apparently, a fit and in-form Kalvin Phillips, lol) then all would be OK. "It's not my fault".

Utterly clueless, and the type, I'm convinced, who'd be the one in the schoolyard to grass you up for doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Pity England are on the other side of the tournament, was hoping my Spain (living here 9 years now) would have a cut at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

England manager and players all saying it was a much improved performance?!?

This kind of attitude does them no favours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

Watch them grind out wins and go on and win the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Oh yes I forgot the scenario where Czechs hammer Turkey and put them below Hungary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

To a certain extent the second half was a lot especially as Slovenia were playing for a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

On itv, Ange talking about being a head coach, and says to Keane and Neville 'you've been a head coach, you know what it's like' 😂.

Is he trolling?? 2 utter failures as headcoaches, perfect examples of why you shoild not hire former players based on their playing careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Highest paid international manager at 40mil. Not bad at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

One of the luckiest international managers ever is Southgate, has managed to get into the easy side of the bracket 3 times out of 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

that lewandowski pen should have resulted in a free out. they need to re-write that rule to stop the stutter, which i think is the current rule?

unsure how you can write a rule of that nature though given you will always be moving, if just a fraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

There’s simply no system there. He wants to play the same way they always do, 2 defensive mids soaking up pressure and breaking on the counter, but he didn’t bring players for that. It’s basically putting the best rated players out and hoping their talent is enough to do the job by itself.

The overriding impression I get from Southgate is one of utter cowardice. He’s too cowardly to bring players that would suit the way he wants to play so the media can speak about how progressive he is, he’s too cowardly to leave one of the stars on the bench for better balance so he’s not blamed for not playing them if it doesn’t go well, and he’s happy to scapegoat players with early subs when they’re not the problem.

England will be much better off without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Southgate f'd up massively (again). If you're going to go to the trouble of scapegoating Trent in 3 successive games, then you better make sure that you win. They didn't. Trent is still the biggest creator in the team, despite playing out of position, 10 other players playing more than him and Trent himself only playing less than half of the minutes available.

And then to try do it to Saka by taking him off again, and to a degree Gallagher. Again, didn't work. Failed to use his subs wisely and too much samey-samey. Scared to make an actual change.

He should be looking at himself, Walker, Trippier, Rice, Bellingham, Kane first. Rice has had a shocker of a tournament, too slow and ponderous and stifles any counter attack by taking too many touches on the ball. Kane is dropping too deep without runners in behind and Trippier has been a disaster. He may aswell come out and say that he is only starting him for set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

they have been criticised, but as i said all that criticism is caveated by then criticising the manager.

like you are doing the exact same thing.

All given criticism when it's quite obvious Southgate is the problem. They can't all be playing badly purely because they're all 'overrated'.

this is different from criticising rom (for example) for missing loads of chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It was particularly jammy this time. Avoids France, Portugal, Germany, Spain.

I am hearing a lot of contradictions from the media commenting on the English team.

Gary Neville claims no other country worries about getting their good players in the national team, they get them in.

Meanwhile on RTE they were saying that England just picked all the best players and tried to throw them together not looking like a team.

I put on Talksport to hear a bit of the moaning and whinging from England fans. One called up and called himself normally a results man. But he got bored watching the match and made onion bhajis instead.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

England are the bookies favourites to win it outright 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Makes sense, on the easier side of the draw. All the other good teams have to go through each other, so any one of them have a lower chance. But I'm sure the odds will reflect that the Germany/Portugal/France side of the draw will contain the winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Bookies will set initial odds I guess, not sure, but after that the odds are determined by the bets placed. So if a large number of people bet on England they will appear to be the favourite.

With England being a traditional betting country and most other European countries not being that this wouldnt be a surprise. In Germany for instance it's only a recent development that private bookies are being licensed. For many decades the only gambling available in Germany was the state lotto and state football toto.

Toto was actually not bad. It was a weekly game, typically on the weekend coinciding with the lotto draw and of course with the Bundesliga gameday. You had 11 matches on a toto slip, typically the 9 Bundesliga matches then a couple of 2. Bundesliga matches, some weeks it might be cup, depending, whatever. On the slip you had to predict an outcome for all 11 matches. Not exact results but 1, 0 or 2 for home win, draw or away win. Prices were similar to the lotto as in you had to have a minimum of 9 right for like 100 quid or so and all 11 would be similar to a lotto win only with the money being smaller and of course smaller again depending how many people got a winner on any given weekend. But still, IIRC a full 11 could win you a couple of hundred grand. The cost to enter was small, say a fiver per toto slip, again a bit like playing lotto.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Alot of people are saying Spain are stand-outs. I think if they really want to be getting to the level to actually win it, Olmo has to be starting. He's been the national teams best player for quite some time, and I don't know why he hasn't been starting off late, only for rotation in their last game

As I said after Italy lost to Spain, it suits them being wrote off. It doesn't really matter how you qualify once you do. Very dangerous now, with everyone writing them off, but still qualifying. Everyone thinks that's all they have in their locker, but if Chiesa starts to motor, they are a completely different team.

I still think Germany will win, but I'd be confident Italy would take the likes of Spain a second time round, or most other nations for that matter, in knock out football. They're crafty enough, will always have a trick up their sleeve. They're simply the last team you ever want to meet in knock out football

Agree with you. Couldn't believe it, 2 days ago you could get Italy at 25:1 on the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

if they hammer Turkey it will drop Turkey to 3rd in the group assuming Portugal will beat Georgia. Turkey already have -1 gd so anything more than 3 goals will drop them below Hungary 2-0 keeps Turkey above them on goals scored

After the comments Southgate made regarding Philips, he should be sacked on the spot. After the last few games, you think he might be a bit more adventurous, but no, he'd actually double down with a second holding midfielder if he could.

I think people over rate their squad somewhat, but they are very good, and far better going forward if let by Southgate. You must be tearing your hair out if your an England fan, watching this generation pass by, not even operating close to their level.

But you keep on holding out with hope, that Southgate might take the shackles off, only to hear the Kalvin Philips comment, he actually wants to double down defensively. He's a laughing stock, long may it continue from an Irish point of view.

Before the England job, I can only remember him managing Boro, and he was atrocious. 2 or 3 years of keeping them hovering above relegating if I remember correctly, playing brutul football, only for him to swap with Curbishly before one of them was relegated in his last season. And he walks into this job, with the money he's been given, you actually couldn't make it up. Literally any other half decent manager was more qualified

I remember Belgium licking their lips when they got Italy in the knock out rounds last time. No one gave Italy a chance, slow and old in areas and just not good enough. Belgium with all their youth and flare players. Italy soon enough showed everyone why they are a football superpower and Belgium are not, schooled them

Portugal really need to drop that donkey Ronaldo if they are to have any chance. Absolute tap in merchant, a whole teams system put out of joint, to accomodate him, to place the ball at his foot for tap ins and his "stats". We seen how Juve and United both struggled, when they had to change systems to accomodate him. Dybala had to play a different role, and lost form and confidence, when he was pulling all the strings for Juve until that donkey arrived.

Haaland getting hammered for being "just a goal scorer", yet this lad has been standing in the box contributing fcuk all else, other than whats set up for him, and gets away with it, since his last season at United. For a man that's supposed to be one of the two best players ever, he has absolutely no ability to get on the ball and playmake. Surely thats a basic requirment for anyone rated so high? Even Suarez in the season where he scored all those goals for Liverpool, was dropping deep, starting, creating and linking all the attacks he'd then get on the end off. His 30+ goals season, was far better than Ronaldos, he offered so much more in general play.

How the younger generation has Ronaldo on a pedestal anywhere close to Cruyff, Maradona etc I'll never know. Ye he's a great goal scorer, but that's where it ends, unless all the greatest goal scorers are regarded as the greatest ever in general.

When Portugal won the Euro's, he was nothing but a hindrence when on the field, they may as well have been playing with 10 men. Him going off, was the best thing that could of happened for them. Yet his fanboys try and equte this Portugal victory to him, akin to Maradone in 86. Absolute delusion

Post edited by The Golden Miller on

I think we do tend to overrate the England squad a little simply because we watch them all the time and what with the PL being the big money league. I think through the squad they're not quite as good as people think especially towards the back. But there is no doubt their attacking talent like Saka, Foden, Kane, Bellingham would find a spot in most top European top sites.

Come to think of them. Foden is trying hard but a little luckless, Kane does Kane stuff, too experienced to be nervous but he's only 1 guy and not getting the service, Saka is good but not as commanding as he is at Arsenal and Bellingham may just be a little tired. It doesnt seem that way cos he's a big athletic guy and hyped to the hilt but really he's still only a kid at 20 and he's had a long hard season.

But I too think the real problem is the manager. Not sure he can handle having all those big names. He plays big names rather than a certain style/idea of football. And he's scared of losing and looking bad which of course makes him likely to lose and look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Southgate wants England to be tight at the back - an area a lot of people would say is the weak link when they look at the players in their back 5. His game plan is clearly keep it tight at the back and hope the front line nick a goal.

It's worked for the Italians in plenty of tournaments. Before winning the last Euros, Italy needed ET in the last 16 before beating Austria, a penalty in normal time for 1-1 and a penalty shoot out before getting past Spain and the same again in the final against England. That's tournament football. Similarly Portugal won Euro 2016 after scraping through to the last 16 by finishing 3rd in a fairly mediocre group behind Hungary and Iceland.

The issue is going to be what happens if a decent team takes the lead and England has to chase an equaliser. That scenario or penalties again seems the most likely way England exit the tournament.

Southgate isn't a top manager but who is at these Euros? Naglesman is probably the obvious one but it's a pretty sharp drop after that to Martinez, La Feunte and Deschamps (admittedly a World Cup winner).

Where would they land if they went looking for a club job? Definitely no where that they'd be managing the same caliber of player they have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If anybody wants to understand the mentality in the England camp then just listen to Kanes words from immediately after the game.

"Tough games". "All these games are going to be difficult". "They made it hard for us". "We need all the players chipping in". "These games are tough, these games are really really tough" "Whoever we get in the next round its going to be another difficult game, it might take extra time, it might take penalties" "Thats the reality of this tournament, its going to be a difficult challenge ahead".

It was only a one minute interview FFS.

They are supposed to be the favourites, a squad full of world class attacking talent and their captain is talking like they are minnows in for the fight of their lives.

Something tells me that they have listened to Southgates fear and caution for so long they have started to believe it themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

As others have mentioned previously, England's group turned out to be absolutely dire. Seven measly goals in 6 games is awful.

I just had a look and it's actually identical in every way to Ireland's 1990 WC group. Exact same number of wins, draws and losses, every game being either 0-0, 1-0 or 1-1. Same number of goals for/against in each position, it's uncanny! (The only difference being England top the group this time with 5pts as opposed to 4pts in 1990 given a win was only worth 2pts back then).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Bellingham had a shocker last night but even more shocking is he's had one shot and one chance created from three games. That's just not good enough for a player in the 10.

Drop him back beside Rice, move Foden into the 10 or give Palmer a chance there and bring Gordon in at LW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ali had all the ability to be world class but his mental health health issues caught up with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

probably could do with a topic of its own but hands up if you heard the media say anything positive about VAR in the last 2 days as it corrected two egregiously wrong decisions by the referee:

The 2 incidents were the Croatia penalty not awarded which was obviously a penalty and even worst, depay’s goal which had an on pitch decision of handball which didn’t happen.

that’s why VAR is there and why it’ll stay there and why the players want it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Would it have been mad to sack Southgate after the last match and given Klopp the job on a short term contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I really hate when pundits still call it the "no.10" position. It's a very antiquated sounding way of looking at positions. And that's not because players wear mad numbers these days.

Those stats though are absolutely shocking for a player in any position. You would expect almost every player to get at least an attacking pass and a few tackles won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just won a Champions League and was a star player in a La Liga win.

Already way past Deli Ali and at worst will be the next Balotelli.

England playing muck but are through as group winners. Crazy that people are looking for him to get sacked. Careful what you wish for.

I expect them to get stronger as the tournament progresses and will be very hard bet.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ivory Coast sacked their manager after the group stage of the AFCON this year, and they won the tournament after sacking him and getting a new man in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dele Alli got an awful lot of extra credit for his output because the English media insisted he was doing it from midfield, when he was essentially playing up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'll be dead in the grave before I stop referring to every position in a 4-4-2 formation. Midfield has a 6 and an 8 role, I won't hear otherwise.

Talk of sacking him is pointless at this late stage.

But if England think they are going to get stronger later on then they are likely to be in for a shock. In tournaments if you aren't performing then that later doesn't come, you just end up on the plane home wondering what went wrong.

England are a prime candidate for being on the wrong end of a 1-0 and nobody will care if they might have played better later on against the big teams that would attack them and give them space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

France have much of a similar tournament so far, underwhelming with 2 goals one a penalty and one an OG, none from open play. However they’ve been there done that so not as much of a big deal.

Englands problem, ergo Southgate’s, is that he’s essentially trialing a new midfield in a major tournament that previously you’d have fancied them to do well.
    Not bringing a fit LB, not bringing at least one more left sided wide player and playing Foden wide as a result. No idea who to partner with Rice in midfield. He will likely play Mainoo there in his 3rd midfield experiment in midfield in 4 games, it’s all a bit madness really.

There's no bonus points for playing well in the group stages it's all about getting out of the group, their defensive style of play like the Italians will be well suited to the knockout stages.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

What about the way England have played would lead you to believe they are defensive? They are just toothless and lack ideas. Their defence hasn't been tested at all really.

They don't have a defensive style, that isn't what is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This tournament ended the back pass. Egypt were basically keeping the ball between thevl defender and the keeper for most of the game. They made it an awful watch.

Roy Keane took Sunderland from last place in the Championship to promotion in the same season.

Keane's only issue in management was his tough style and attitude which players didn't appreciate. He learned this from Alex Ferguson but it was different times and things had changed nearly everywhere. Fergie could do it because of his success rate.

Keane does have a losing record as a manager.

1 goal conceded in 3 games, that to me is a team that is defensively solid.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement