Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Written Off Car post signed Log book to Salvage Team

• 26-06-2024 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

My insurance company are writing off my car and have made an offer to me, conditional on the following

"We also require that the original Vehicle Registration Certificate signed on the reverse side along with any spare keys that you may have are posted to the following address:……", followed by the address of a salvage company.

My understanding is that, as the owner, it is my responsibility to ensure that the Vehicle Registration Certificate gets posted back to Shannon. On the offchance that the Salvage company do not post it to Shannon, i would be considered responsible for anything that happens with the car, and/or future car tax etc.

This is the text from the Irish Govt. website "The onus is on the seller to ensure that the necessary documentation relating to a change of ownership is completed. A registered owner must be recorded against each vehicle and in the event of failure to establish the correct credentials of a new owner the seller’s name remains on record. That person remains liable for any charges which arise in relation to the vehicle including motor tax and any penalties which may be incurred (parking, traffic violations and so on)."

https://www.gov.ie/en/policy-information/1ba443-motor-taxvehicle-registration/#change-of-vehicle-ownership

I said this to the insurance company and the salvage team, but neither want to cooperate.

Is this normal? Do people just post the Vehicle Registration Certificate and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

I used to buy a lot of crashed cars from a salvage yard and it seemed fairly normal that the owner of the yard would have to wait for the insurance company/previous owner to send the logbook before giving me the car. He would then make me sign the logbook and a new one was posted to my address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When selling to the trade you usually don't sign the back of the VLC, as that ads an owner, they have a system to change the ownership without adding owners. Just because the insurance company have written off the car doesn't mean that it's going to be scrapped, unless it's a safety issue most cars can be repaired using 2nd hand parts vs new for insurance claims, so it's possible your car could be back on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

Same for me when I bought my new car and traded the old one. The dealer didn’t want me to post off the logbook just sign it myself and bring it to him. He sorted the rest

OP the cars a write off going to a scrap yard I really wouldn’t worry too much about the “official” way to sell a car. I don’t think your insurance company is going to take the car, fix her up and then speed down the M50 toll road past as many GoSafe vans and red light cameras as possible. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭CarPark2

Thanks. If anybody has direct experience of dealing with a write off, it would be great to hear from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Your car is not being sold to a private individual your car is being sold to a motor dealer therefore the correct procedure is for you to give them your logbook and the car will be transferred online using their garage code. You have nothing to worry about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Few years back the missus wrote off her car and I dealt with it. Gannon's recovery in Donabate bought the salvage and we wouldn't get paid out until we returned the spare key and VLC to Gannons. Thankfully, it's not too far away so I called in with the Key and VLC. Don't think I had to sign the VLC and I got a print out from the ROS system dealers have access to, showing it was transferred out of our name in to the dealer garage code.

Advertisement