Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

You are right, it isnt 2% or 4%, it's more, but ehy dont you provide a link to where you get your info. When I go to Galway, there is plenty traffic trying to get through the city and more trying to find a way around it, so it is a lot more. And why don't you tell us what the waste is that you are on about is. To me, the waste is vehicles trying to get through the city, spending time spewing exhaust into the air from vehicles that have business in the city and from vehicles that have no business in the city except to get to the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

The way CO2 is now demonised is shocking.

Many people seem to have forgotten what they learnt as 12-year-olds in school about photosynthesis, and now think CO2 is a pollutant and evil, rather than being the gas of life.

In the distant past CO2 levels went to a dangerous low of 180 ppm. Below 150 ppm photosynthesis is severely compromised and life on earth would be in danger.

The pre-industrial level of 280 ppm was fairly paltry and the current 420 ppm is more beneficial to life on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Anyone that has worked with data will realise how much fudging goes on, throwing stuff out one doesnt like and making adjustments/guesses/assumptions here and there. the idea that "we know" the temp of the planet and can go back thousands of years to a fraction of a degree seems like fantasy.

like even to take a simple example, would anyone bet their house that they know the temp at Dublin Airport (weather station) to a fraction of a degree going back 100 years? no human error, no tech/measurement changes over 100 years, no heat island effect with buildings/wind etc. and logically only one pin prick is measured not a continuous area of the whole region at all heights and thats only one measuring point.

the hubris is comical

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your life on earth (the one that should matter to you) is not adapted to 420ppm and your species has never seen that level of CO2. Your not remotely adapted to survive at the temps this is causing of +50C so the consequence is that without technology you would literally die from the consequences of 420ppm and rising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And as I posted a couple days back, there's nothing going to prevent CO2 from rising above 420ppm. It'll be great if you're a dinosaur but not so great if you're a mammal.

cute but 2000 years of history would suggest not betting the house on a single idea going back to Jesus coming back within a generation ;-) , we are going to run out of food -panic, we are going to run out of oil -panic, the world is going to freeze -panic….see where Im going?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Highest population in 2000 years. Oh, reckoning back to fictional characters isn't a good look.

It's the population that makes the problem, and makes the suffering worse.

What it suggests is that we shouldn't take the hunch of a guy on the internet over the analysis of scientists. The data is robust and the problems you point to are known and accounted for in the analysis. Your complacency is a requirement of your political outlook.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are right, it isnt 2% or 4%, it's more, but ehy dont you provide a link to where you get your info.

It is not for me to do your research but if you actually bothered to read the documentation provided by the Councils, you will read that most private car traffic travels into the city and only 3% is traffic not heading into the city but passing through it…

When I go to Galway, there is plenty traffic trying to get through the city and more trying to find a way around it, so it is a lot more.

So your anecdotal observations are to be considered reliable traffic stats? 🙄

And why don't you tell us what the waste is that you are on about is. To me, the waste is vehicles trying to get through the city, spending time spewing exhaust into the air from vehicles that have business in the city and from vehicles that have no business in the city except to get to the other side.

There has been a massive waste of money on this project (~€45m approx?) and we've gotten absolutely nowhere so far. Galway needs a solution but the councils are not doing anything meaningful to encourage public transport usage or active travel so the unsustainable private car based travel will continue. The councils are determined to roll out a project which they themselves claim will not solve the traffic problems and will simply increase CO2 emissions. This will only serve to encourage a more car traffic, more people moving further away from the city and commuting longer distances.
    None of it is sustainable: more so when you consider the >€1Bn cost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Looking at that, traffic from outside the city that crosses the corrib, which would benefit from a ring road, is 15% of the total

or leaving out 'city traffic' It's 37.5%

And that's only private car, what's the numbers for commercial vehicles I wonder...

I can already travel around Galway barely touching the city. If you follow the sensible route Galway is already bypassed for through traffic.

There is no doubt that Galway would benefit from a ring road for traffic to bypass the city but what is being sold to the people is a local distributor road and clearly would be used to help plan future resedential development, etc.

However, the biggest challenge to Galway's travel problems is the tunnel vision mindset in the councils for a ring road with next to no consideration for alternatives to people travelling by car. Much of Galway's traffic could be solved by a decent public transport setup but the council won't consider this if it means inconveniencing private car drivers.
    Steering the conversation back on topic, we need to get away from the mindset that the car should be given priority. A proper bus network across Galway could be rolled out in the short term at a low cost when compared to the massive cost for the GCRR. In time, light rail, etc could be introduced.

The GCRR, as currently planned, is an example of unsustainable transport planning with a huge cost and which has been confirmed will increase emissions. It is exactly what Galway does not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

So a slow moving vehicle would use less fuel to travel 100 km than a fast moving vehicle?

A tangent you keep replying to..

You appear to be getting a bit flustered!

A slow moving vehicle will generally use less fuel than a fast moving vehicle. The reason is basic physics - wind drag increases with speed and in an exponential relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

over short distances, over long distances an absolute no.. so your incorrect

It’s basic common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Depends on the engine revs more so than speed. 2000rpm @50kmh would use more fuel than 2000rpm@100kmh to cover the same distance.

Well first of all still no link.

Secondly what you call anecdotal evidence is what most call real life experiences and quiet frankly, I have mentioned several towns and cities that prove my point.

As to massive waste of money, well the simple fact of the matter is a road that was being planned for several years, and took into account CAP 2019 was over turned by the courts due to a policy (CAP2021) brought in by the Green Party, after legal actions were taken by people and organisations who had the prospect of incurred losses due to Compulsory Purchases, the Green Party Chairperson and several green organizations, only weeks before the announcement of the planning permission decision, so if you want to look at who to blame for that particular waste, I lay it at the doorstep of the Green Party, but hey, thanks for pointing out another reason how the Greens have done nothing for the Green movement except turn peole against it.

And now, only days after the announcement of a proper route between Cork and Limerick, they announce plans for more policies. More plans that willbturn even more people against the Green movement.

It is only a matter of time before the Green Movement will be considered anathema to the people of Ireland, and it will be the Green Party that will be the cause of it. And in the long run, it's the enviroment will suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

unfortunately the reality IMHO is we lack the ability to change our consumption or activity to lower CO2 output. I would be increasingly pessimist on our outlook. I agree the Greens are annoying and sanctimonious, but deep down somewhere I know they are right. We are probably too far along the road and wedded to our habits to turn things around. Hope I’m wrong but am a realist.

Sorry, again that in not how vehicles and engines work. As I have explained before, they are designed so everytthing works together, from the wheel size and tyre pressures to engine and gear box, to get the most from them. Even fuel type will affect MPG and in turn the ignition timing (not a problem in most modern cars with electronic ignition, but will affect some older ones)

A car traveling a 50KPH in a city is rarely in top gear moving at a constant speed while a car travelling 100KPH on a bypass would be. The car in the city is actually more wasteful of fuel with lower MPG meaning less miles per 10Kg CO2 generated.

• Advertisement

The reality is that the majority of people know what needs to be done and most of us are doing what we can as we can and as we can afford to. I know several people who would love the go EV, but the vehicles themselves are too expensive for most and then we have the the Greens adding tax after tax, making it more difficult to save for, or pay back loans on these vehicles.

Same goes for the likes of Solar panels and heat pumps and Insulating of houses and so on....and before anybody starts up on grants, the rigmarole you need to go through is so long winded and complicated, it would turn anyone from applying. Same goes for the likes of the introduction of the DRS, when we had a perfectly good system of recycling already in place and we cannot even cancel that if we wanted to because DRS does not take every type of container, so we still need the recycling bin collections.

Then, as you said, throw in the sanctimonious attitude and straight off you turn people against you and what you stand for. If they spent their time stream lining things like the grant applications instead of trying to influence through taxation and levies, and not spending millions replacing perfectly good procedures, they might be seen in better light. As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

All the Green Party are doing at the moment is damaging the Green movement.

Its not a matter of complacency but data and models isnt science , plenty of stuff makes sense anyway from a strategic sense, ireland for instance dependent on ropey countries with a 1 month supply of energy is risky

Well first of all still no link.

So clearly you haven't looked at any of the councils documentation for this project. Maybe start with this...

https://www.n6galwaycityringroad.ie/

Secondly what you call anecdotal evidence is what most call real life experiences and quiet frankly, I have mentioned several towns and cities that prove my point.

No, what you're trying to call evidence doesn't prove anything despite your attempts to spin it as facts. Your driving experiences are not traffic surveys despite your self-inflated beliefs!

As to massive waste of money, well the simple fact of the matter is a road that was being planned for several years, and took into account CAP 2019 was over turned by the courts due to a policy (CAP2021) brought in by the Green Party, after legal actions were taken by people and organisations who had the prospect of incurred losses due to Compulsory Purchases, the Green Party Chairperson and several green organizations, only weeks before the announcement of the planning permission decision, so if you want to look at who to blame for that particular waste, I lay it at the doorstep of the Green Party, but hey, thanks for pointing out another reason how the Greens have done nothing for the Green movement except turn peole against it.

It is a massive waste of money, no matter what anti-green spin you try to put on it. You're trying to blame the Green Party for basic errors made in this project. This project has limped it's way along the planning process and is riddled with omissions led by bias. It is not in Galways interests.

Now that I've again corrected your nonsense (yet again!), I will no longer respond to your ill-informed rubbish. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Only if that lower speed is in top gear and it's steady state driving, not involving breaking and accellerating.

I used to have to get from one side of Galway to near Clifden, more times than I could count. There is no ring road bypass. Gettting from one side of Galway to the other involves multiple sets of traffic lights, roundabouts, thick traffic and a lot stop start at a crawling 50-60 kph. Out of what was usually a 3 hr trip, a good 25 min would be spent just getting through Galway. There is no bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭scottser

To paraphrase Frankie Boyle, becoming a vegan won't help with climate change but becoming a cannibal would. If you eat another human, you'll have reduced your carbon footprint by 100%. If you really want to make a difference, eat a pilot.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I've got news for ya, ain't no amount of EVs, solar panels or heat pumps gonna fix global warming!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Except we didn't have a perfectly good system of recycling already in place - we are missing targets.

The reality, which you are choosing to ignore, is that we are all going to have to change our behaviour in order to save the planet. Changing behaviour isn't easy, and the carrot doesn't always work, it sometimes needs the stick. The levies and the taxation are necessary, there is no easy way to save the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The reality is that what we do or don't do matters not one jot, while China and India continue to thumb their noses at CO2 reductions. Ireland is responsible for only 0.3% of global CO2 - all 5 million of us could fall on our swords, revert to a stone age life style, and it just wouldn't matter to the final outcome.

I personally see no point in lifting a finger when China will add 200 GW of coal fired power in just the next 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Quango Unchained

There are a thousand things we could be doing better, in terms of looking to keep the planet as inhabitable for as many humans and other species as possible - I think most people could agree that this is a good goal?

Take one small example. Plastic children's toys. Can anyone defend the continued production of these knowing that they will eventually and inevitably end up in our food and water, poisoning us and future generations (and other species).

Just look at the plastic party bags given out at children's parties, full of useless plastic shrapnel, which go almost straight into the bin. How did they ever become a thing? Who still does that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

We don’t need to save the planet!

The planet will be perfectly fine and plants will flourish with more CO2 in the atmosphere- it’s the humans that are in bother.

The mixture of arrogance and Ignorance in some people is incredible.

Advertisement