Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's obviously harder than the main game as it should be, given how OP most people can be by the end of the game. There are definitely some enemy attacks though that feel like no matter what you do, you're going to get got, and things like that can feel a bit unfair. So many bosses hit an AoE right after a physical attack and you don't have time to dodge both, or they do some big evasive move or teleport right when you have a chance to get a few hits in.

It's all doable so far (…so far….), and some of the bosses that people seem to be having a lot of trouble with I've taken out pretty easily. But then some normal enemies have completely ruined my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm not sure how to describe current progress but I'm in the central plains. Headed south, east and then north west unlocking 2 more maps. Cleared out a few dungeons and sitting on +5 Scad blessing. Headed to Shadow Keep and saw the broken ruin message and then fought the same boss as you just did. Dead in seconds on first go and then got him on second go with my greatshield soldiers who bombarded him from every side. Still very very tough. I went into next few rooms and I feel this area might be beyond my level. I legged it through a few of the places I was exploring like the north west, feck that place.

What Scad blessing level have people had when tackling Shadow Keep?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think most of the criticisms I’ve read have been fair, and I haven’t yet gotten to the really tough stuff in the back half.

I’ve warmed to it a lot more since I got outside of the starting area which wasn’t particularly interesting IMO. But yeah virtually all the bosses - other than the piece of cake Demi-God Queen - have the dual challenge of hitting extremely hard and having long, long combos that often have very specific ways to dodge or avoid. It is a lot more consistently relentless than the base game was (outside some late game and super bosses) so I can see how that’s rubbing some the wrong way - especially since many are readjusting after two full years away from the game. Like some of the late game fights it also seems to have lost the flexibility of builds that made most of the base game so versatile and enjoyable to experiment with. I certainly don’t think those who don’t like it are being unreasonable or just need to ‘get gud’.

So far everything has been manageable for me with some practice and patience, but no doubt even for a late game addition it’s demanding and punishing. As I said earlier, I also don’t think the Scad blessings are the most elegant solution to the level scaling DLC problem - I’m enjoying the hunt for them for sure, but it’s definitely a brute force approach that doesn’t gel super well with the rich role-playing and customisability of the game.

That said, I’m personally very much enjoying my time with it, even if I don’t think it’s flawless or anything like that.

I think I might have been +6 or +7, but it's definitely a tough area. There might be other areas you could still explore to get more scadutree fragments, but the first part of Shadow Keep should be manageable enough for you at +5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I believe I’m +7 after finishing the boss at the start of the keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

For me it is a huge difficulty spike, probably because anticipating that it will be a huge difficulty spike I spent some good hours farming and leveling up and collecting items I missed so I became overpowered as f in the base game. Then the DLC showed me what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

Just started this at lunch, did one boss so far, all pretty manageable with a couple of deaths from relentless enemies with some surprising attacks! Did read the difficulty does spike a while into it though.

Still using my strength build, have picked up a few weapons but my trusty greatsword is still doing the job so I’ll wait a while before looking at anything new.

My biggest complaint so far is the lack of motivation to use new weapons. Weapons i picked up have been useless so I'd have to upgrade them to near max (in fairness, the dlc does throw smithing stones at you) and i just forget about them and go back to my old trusty. I know that's on me to put in the effort to try some new weapons.

I kind of wish you started the dlc with no equipment and had to make do with what you find.

Also, way too many cook books. I get to a really cool location and past a tough section only to be rewarded by a cookbook. I'm sure if you craft, you could make some really cool things but for be, the loot is very underwhelming.

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

Aye, cookbooks and Glovewort flowers and stuff.

Agree about the weapon upgrading too. I said before release that they need to give more Ancient Dragon smithing stones, which in fairness they give some, but not enough. With enemies being as tough as they are, you really need to have a maxed out weapon, but you don't really know how good it's going to fare out if you only take it to +24/+9, and at that stage you may as well stick with what you know.

Yeah definitely agree the loot is so-so (though that was also an issue in the base game given its sheer size). Another problem with the blessings is they’re so valuable and essential anything else seems a bit disappointing in comparison 😅

• Advertisement

Reached the final boss. I take back all of the above. F*ck this. F*ck that. F*ck FromSoftware. F*ck you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I’ll be attempting it again soon. I was +10 when I tried it first so had missed a significant amount of fragments.

My biggest complaint and it was also a problem with the base game is how much of a pushover the dungeon bosses are. The balance should be a lot better between main bosses and the optional ones

Yeah, I genuinely don't know if I can be bothered. This fight is such bullsh*t with all the nonsense I hate in a boss fight packed into one.

No time to summon at the start because FS know the first thing you're going to do as soon as you get in is use a summon (which means you have to try squeeze it out after an attack). Long chains of attacks where only i-frames will get you through because of how wide and sweeping the attacks are. Needing to dodge specifically to one side for some attacks against a giant enemy where if you use lock-on the camera can throw you off, and if you don't use lock-on he might get you with the next attack because you can't see him properly. AoE nonsense at the end of half the attacks, and then in the second phase, just AoEs all the time. Every attack has an AoE built into it. You have so little opportunity to actually land a hit at all and even then may forget about a charged or chain attack.

The second phase is pure bullsh*t. Just absolute bullsh*t.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The dungeon bosses in the base game for me were either way too easy or a pain in the ass gank squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I was gifted this game early on and never really got that deep.

In the beginning though I did play it with a friend for awhile. We installed that MOD which allows two players to play full Co-Op. But it was a bit broken. Often a few key story things would not trigger. Or some strange behaviour.

Anyone know the status of this now? Anyone use it? Has it improved or stabalised? Or is it still a dodgy risk?

I think it's probably improved, but ultimately the seamless co-op is a mod and so there are likely to be issues. I think they're still working on getting it compatible with the DLC as well. Story things should trigger for the person who invited the others into their world, but the others might not be able to talk to NPCs etc. I think it can also affect what items can be picked up, interacted with etc. Still seems better than the constant drop-in, drop-out, put your symbol down, where is it etc of the normal co-op.

Shadow Keep can get in the bin. Tough enemies in every room, black Knights constantly hiding behind corners like a cartoon and worthless loot. I'm doing my usual run where I kill every enemy and grab every loot. If i die, i speed run back to where i was and continue. I did that twice and now like feck it, I'm just speed running through the whole thing hoping not to get wrecked from a surprise attack.

If you hate the Black Knights, wait until you get to the Storehouse area and meet the Fire Knights. I hate them. I hate them so goddamn much….

• Advertisement

I just got to the Storehouse, actually cool spot, not only in the first couple of rooms, haven't met fire knights yet 😊

But it's like one of those is tough enough but when you have 2 but doing long combos of spinning ****, it's just ridiculous.

Classic Dunkey. "I only use heavy rolls, I don't use light or medium roll exploits" 😂

Patch incoming. Increases the effects of the first half of blessings (+1 to +10 for you, +1 to +5 for summons), and decreases the effects of the second half, though increases the effect of the final blessing for each.

Seems pretty fair. Should help get people up and running a bit quicker by finding the most common fragments, and then a bit more bang for your buck if you find them all.

Attack and damage negation curve scaling of the Shadow Realm Blessings have been revised.

The attack and damage negation has been increased for the first half of the maximum amount of Blessing enhancements, and the second half will now be more gradual.

The attack and damage negation granted by the final level of Blessing enhancements has been slightly increased.

This might actually entice me to finally try a new weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Still yet to find a new INT weapon. Or anything that replaces Rennalas hat, even though i look like a doofus.

Jori, Elder Inquisitor might be one of the most annoying From boss designs I've encountered. The boss itself is one of the easiest in the game with weak defence and easily avoided / highly telegraphed moves. But it falls back on two of the most irksome of all boss difficulty trends: overwhelm with adds, and constant teleporting.

Got through in the end by just relentless up-close attacking and trying to minimise the amount of summons. Easier said then done when the boss teleports to the other side of the field and summons five adds at once with different attack patterns 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Loving the DLC so far. I'm at Renalla now at level 148 from main game but i'm only +5 on scudatree blessings and Renalla is proving to be a PITA even with mimic and the NPC so think i need to level up those blessings. It seems the difficulty really ramps up in the second half of the game from what i'm reading.

I'm still rocking the blasphemous blade fully upgraded - any tips for new or old weapons to try for DLC? I just got milady last night which is apparently good but i keep defaulting to good aul 'takers flames'. I have always wanted to give the sword of night and flame a bash but i need to respect and i've too low intelligence (much like in real life) :-)

I'd actually advise not taking the NPC summon into the fight with you. It boosts the boss' HP (same as if you have a real player summoned in to help), so it usually isn't worth it. Mimic or other summons don't have the same effect.

Blasphemous Blade got a bit of a nerf just before the DLC, but it's still a good option.

Yeah mentioned that one earlier. Hated it

All I’ll say is good luck in the next area

• Advertisement

Glad I'm not the only one, I felt like I was losing my mind when I encountered a boss like that at the end of a mere catacomb! The body slamming summon is the icing on top of the **** sandwich.

I think I'll leave the subsequent area til a bit later and head back towards Shadow Keep instead.

Advertisement