Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh! Well that's a surprise! Just looked it up, the differences are a bit subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

Hi all, above picture is bluebells. There was a suggestion I let them go to seed, and just wondering is it time to cut them back now? Thanks for the help.

also, any ideas what this is? Feels like an interloper and wondering if I need to get rid of it, in case it’s too big for the space it’s growing in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Grape Hyacinth

Paeony

Possibly a Photinia of some sort.

Edit: Sorry I read that as one post with three pictures. Still think the seeds are from grape hyacinth rather than blue bells.

Wake me up when it's all over.

you’re right, grape hyacinth. Someone said they were bluebell before to be. Any thoughts on what I should do with them now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭standardg60

If you want the bluebells to seed around then you just leave them to do so, otherwise you'd trim them off straight after flowering.

The seedling is a viburnum tinus so probably best removed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Also, there are different types of c(h)amomile. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamomile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I'd say just cut them if you want them to grow back next year. All the energy should be already stored in bulbs. They spread by rizomes however so I've been told they can be quite invasive if not kept under control. I planted them in pots only for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They spread by seed and bulb offsets only. They very rarely spread vigorously. I'd only deadhead them to prevent seed forming, so more energy goes into the bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats this bush in my driveway please?

Nearly ripped it out last year when I bought the place because it seemed boring and a waste of space, it flowered this year though and is absolutely heaving with flies and bumblebees Ill definitely be keeping it now:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I suspect it's two plants you have there - the flower is a honeysuckle, but honeysuckle is a climber and will climb through another plant for support.

Looks to be lonicera acuminata, hard to see if there's anything else there.

Lovely plant, and you can go at it with shears and cut it back after it has flowered if it is too big or straggly.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pedro6105

hi all.
    not quite a gardening question. I’ve recently taken over as groundsman of local soccer club. Field is cut regularly and in last month a weed has flourished in one section. What is it and how do I eradicate it.
    TIA

Plantain, I think. There is a flower head in the top pic centre left. A selective herbicide would probably be the best solution in your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I bet there are restrictions on using herbicides on playing surfaces and it's probably restricted to off-season application only. You might also need to look at a partial reseeding afterwards (and only after the active chemical has fully broken down in the soil) also as when the weeds die off they will leave gaps. Might be worth contacting a support group for groundskeepers, they should have all the goss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

This is not a gardening query but concerns something found in the garden so hopefully ok to ask here as I have previously found the nature forum to be very quiet and lacking in responses to queries.

We have several dogs and I regularly have to go round the lawn gathering up their droppings. For the past week or so I have been coming across droppings which I know for sure are not from any of our dogs. I was thinking maybe fox. There is a stone wall about 5ft high and 1ft thick running through part of the garden. Today I found one of the droppings on top of the wall. Seems a strange place for a mammal to do its business but the dropping is too big to be a bird. So just curious, all I had to hand when taking a photo to give some idea of scale was a water bottle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,833 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a bird dropping; do you have seagulls, maybe?

We're coastal alright and have seagulls flying overhead daily. But in all the years I'm living here I could count on one hand the amounts of times I've seen a seagull land in the garden. If I had just found the dropping on the top of the wall I would have presumed some kind of bird alright (although unlike any bird dropping I've seen before). It was the fact I've been finding the same type droppings on the lawn that made me think otherwise because we haven't observed any birds on the lawn apart from the usual garden birds.

I used to work in sea fishing and would be unfortunately quite familiar with sea gull droppings but they never looked like this, more splats of mostly white. But that's not to say you're wrong either, surprising that we haven't seen any sea gulls in the garden though as at least one of us is home most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

We have wood pigeons in our garden and very similar poos to that in our grass

Now that is a stronger possibility and should have thought of it myself. There have been a couple of occasions over the last few weeks when I've been up very early and there have been a couple wood pigeons on the lawn.

Just very surprised they have droppings like that, not what one would expect bird droppings to be like at all. Only for the bit of white through it one would think it was left by a small dog or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

hi,

Any idea what these seedlings are? They keep coming up in their multitude between my paving slabs. They are a right pain.

I mist look at eliminating at source!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could by sysirinchium. They make gorgeous purple or yellow flowers

Don't think they are (not enough of a tuber) but they do look a bit like Montbretia? Libertia is another possible that does seed around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They look like the Day Lilies/hemerocallia I'm pestered with but there's a good many plants start looking like that'

Bluebells are my two cents

Another possible but they look to flat if you know what I mean?

Might help if the OP posts some pictures of any plants with leaves like that in the general area?

Yep parent plant is going to be there somewhere

• Advertisement

They do look a bit like sysirinchium to me, they have that flat look and the leaves look right. I don't think they are bluebells, especially since the bluebells are gone now. They don't have the corm for montbretia. Libertia seedlings are definitely a possibility, if you have a plant of it. As the others have said, what do you have nearby that could be a parent? (Or outside chance, do you have a bird feeder nearby?)

Advertisement