Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

If we get anywhere near 40 for duran thats crazy.

Not excited about luiz move be hes not signed new contract so clearly open to a move and best of luck to him.

Imagine the psr trouble we would be in next year if we didnt get in champions league this year.

Looks like a busy summer of ins and outs ahead

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Being reported that we might not be getting a lot of Cash for Duran that it might actually be a player exchange deal similar to the Luiz deal.

Ian Maatsen is the name doing the rounds. Argueably the type of profile of signing we should be looking at, a LB who is highly rated off the back of 2 succesful loans (to Burnley where he won the championship and then Dortmund where he got to the CL final last season). He had a 35m release clause in his Dortmund loan deal but dortmund want to pay at least 10m less than that to get him permanently. Chelsea are probably already expecting to not have him next season and as they want Duran (and supposidly have been given permission to talk to him by Villa) who Villa apparently rate at 35-40m they might be happy to let him go to Villa if it means they only have to pay 10m or so for Duran.

Not sure what else we might have to do to appease the PSR issues if indeed the cash fee was low but there has been talk of replacing Digne for a while and I am not sure if we could do better in terms of a LB signing and perhaps Digne could be moved on for some decent money, iirc he was strongly linked to Saudi at the start of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

PSR factors in cash and also a players value if its a swap. So of Duran was valued at, say, 40m, and Maatsen at 35m, so Chelsea gave us 5m plus Maatsen for Duran, thats still a total of 40m for PSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

I see that Matija Sarkic has passed away at the age of 26. Very sad. Never made it at Villa but was playing for Millwall.

Just read something that ends the last shred of hope that Luiz might not move… Juve are trying to sign Alisha Lehmann from Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They're no longer together.

Feel like I shouldn't know this but after supposidly being split up for around a year they got back together a few months ago (Luiz poppping up on her IG etc regularily since and I believe)and I actually thought that'd definitely mean he wasn't going anywhere.

From an article I just saw afteer googling her (ooo er)

"Brazil international Luiz moved to Villa Park two years earlier, with the pair starting a relationship not long after Lehmann moved to the club.

After ending things the following year, they reunited in 2024. Now, though, interest in Luiz from Italian side Juve had threatened to force them into a long-distance relationship."

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

The PSR gig is up at the end of the month and nothing but rumours. We need to get the finger out and offload ASAP or we'll probably start the season -6 points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Not sure what the liability is for PSR but if Dougie goes hopefully that accounts for it all.

• Advertisement

Fixtures are out.

West Ham away to start. United away on the last day (sigh).

Last 6 games are pretty tough. Man City, Newcastle, Spurs and United (along with 2 easier games).

TIm is going to Everton. 10 million. 20 year old, lots of talk of how good he was going to be but he couldn't pass 5 yards most of the time. I've a feeling he might turn good but he needs game time to do it and he isn't going to get it at Villa.

Weston Mckennie is holding up the deal for Luiz apparently. Illing has agreed terms but Mckennie is looking for a pay off from Juve since his contract expires next year (whatever the hell that means).

I heard he was a bit disruptive at Leeds, at least it looks like his agent is a bit of a problem if not the player himself.

fabrizio romano keeps pushing our interst in Maatsen and has called bull on rumors of Spurs being in for McKennie.

I am very curious to see how Villa act in the transfer market after June 30th.

Ornstein saying that the deal for Maatsen is done. This is an exciting one. And I assume it means that the deal for Duran going the other way is also done (or close to done).

I'm also seeing links to Lewis Dobbin from Everton. I know the name, but don't know much about him apart from the fact that he is a young left sided winger.

Does that mean that one of Digne or Moreno will go.

I would assume so. The rumours I have seen (no idea if reliable or not!) are that Moreno is a bit homesick and would like to go back to Spain. He also had a lot of injury problems last year. So that would make sense.

Digne is on huge wages, but played well last season.

Post edited by OneColdHand on

I'll be very happy with Maatsen if it happens but the newest rumor is that we have moved on from McKennie and instead the focus is on Argentinian Enzo Barrenechea (23) who just returned to Juve from a successful loan at Frosinone and plays in the DM role having been likened in style (but not quality) to Rodri or Busquets (so he'd be Kamara backup).

Most recent reports have the fee recieved alongside the players exchanged with Juve rising to 30m. Add in the value of Enzo Barrenechea and ling Jr.’s and you are above 50m. Then you have the 10m for Tim and we have to be close to removing all FFP concerns already but if you spread the Maatsen purchase over his contract and bak 40ish million for Duran then we are flying.

Also in for the England U-18 captain Lewis Oxford. He's currently at West Ham and is a CM.

meanwhile Lewis Dobbins medical is apparently already happening today as he signs from Everton.

I wonder how confident Villa are that the PSR rules in their current form will be gone by next year? Perhaps we could see Villa going big after the June deadline. Could even do it but in a frugal way given the links to the likes of Hermoso (Free), David & Dumfries (last year of contract) or Tammy Abrahams (Roma need cash and want rid). Meanwhile the likes of Matty Cash (Inter & AC) and at least one of Digne/Moreno are being linked away.

Post edited by Bounty Hunter on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

It seems like Villa, Everton and Chelsea are working together to get themselves and each other out of PSR difficulties. I like a bit of malicious compliance! Selling and buying similar value players with each other. Nobody losing a key player to their squad but a player with good balance sheet value (Academy player or +10 million profit for Duran). Everyone wins.

• Advertisement

I don’t know enough about the PSR regs but presumably the theory is that the money from the player sold goes directly on the books before June and the cost of the new player bought is spread out over a number of years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Yeah, so selling Everton a squad player and buying one of their squad players benefits both clubs this year in PSR.

that one was kept quiet

That surely means the Duran deal has fallen through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Patser

There's something really dodgy and unedifying in a lot of these deals.

In previous years Kellyman and Iroegbunam would have been looked at as possible future stars for Villa, being nurtured and developed slowly, like what exactly was happening with Iroegbunam over last fee seasons, and how Ramsey and Grealish were developed to be 1st team choices.

Now they are being traded around between clubs, willy nilly at big prices just to cook the books for PSR, to where they'll be infrequently used outsiders. Anyone seriously think Chelsea are dropping 20 million on Kellyman to have him as a 1st team option next year? Or that Lewis Dobbin is an Emery key signing for Champions League success.

It's ugly

not a fan of it myself but 100% understand why it is being done and in some ways think fair play to villa for not allowing themselves be held back by psr etc when Villa are sustainable and are just trying to compete / bridge the gap. The fact that these deals are also benefiting teams that have spent literal billions or had talk of administration etc in recent times definitely adds a less savory element and is the reason that I think the current PSR rules have no chance of continuing in their current form.

PSR rules should be forcing our hand to develop players (we are shockingly bad at it) and turn the finances around. Even if its 1 players a year getting 10-12 starts and 10-12 sub appearances across all competitions. Since the Grealish sale, that would be 4-5 players on lower wage than a bought player, no sign on fee of note and 100% profit at a higher price because of game time if we choose to sell.

We'd have been better off pushing Philogen to the left than signing Zaniolo for example and Zaniolo made around 40 appearances for Villa and close to 0 contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There needs to be some change in PSR to encourage home grown players to be kept. Their value needs to be recognised in some way. We keep seeing this 'pure profit' mantra get trotted out when clubs sell their local kids, which basically goes against everything club football should stand for. The whole system right now actively encourages teams to rid themselves of any players with the most real tangible connections to the local fans.

Agreed and unfortunately there is a big gulf from the academy to first team, there’s quite a number that for whatever reason haven’t established themselves as PL players Andre Green, Hepburn Murphy, Callum O Hare, Louie Barry.

Hopefully even though they’re not our players Kesler Hayden, Tim, Philogene and the likes of Archer can develop

Post edited by pavb2 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He rescued 2 points against westham and Sheffield United.

The 0 Contribution often turns out to be important.

Quite ironic that Tim Iroegbunam's birthday is June 30th.

if he could play consistently well as he did against Arsenal away he’d be some player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Dougie off for €50 million and the two young lads from Juve in for €22 million. Not the worst deal.

https://x.com/David_Ornstein/status/1804584088612823244

Nice goal for Youri in the Euros. Though every game I watch im terrified one of our lads will get injured! Hoping he's taken off soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is a very ugly transfer window. Reading about a points deduction would obviously feel worse but I’m not enjoying reading Villa related news at the moment. Sooner the better, the actual football is back.

• Advertisement

I think July will be more fun for us. We need to accumulate money this month but we should have scope to splash a bit of cash soon.

Dobbin signing confirmed by the club. Will be interesting to see if he is shipped out on loan. Or has Emery seen something in him that he thinks he can work with ( ala Rogers).

Hope so rather than being bought just to get around PSR rules.

I seem to be in the minority here that is delighted that we’ve banded together with other clubs in PSR difficulty to ensure that we get fair prices for players instead of having a fire sale to comply.

Otherwise we’d have the likes of Utd offering us £25m and a signed Marcus Rashford shirt for Ollie knowing that we’d be forced to accept.

It actually shows up PSR for what it was meant to be. A way to keep clubs like us down after a season where we qualified for the champions league.

Look at Leicester who lost Kante and Mahrez after winning the league.

What motivation do you think the FA/Premier League have in maintaining the big 6 though?

• Advertisement

International fans International TV rights sales International jersey sales with logos etc on them.

It's a numbers and business's game. We shouldn't pretend there isn't favourable treatment.

When the Premier League are selling TV rights abroad, they aren't selling Wolves and Brighton, they're selling Manchester United and the likes.

Absolutely, but if Villa and Newcastle become very good they’ll be in that bracket too. The current rules aren’t suiting Villa very much at the moment, but the Premier League are currently also in an active battle to punish Man City’s alleged financial cheating.

In terms of the league being a closed shop or whatever, the notion that the teams who can generate the most financial resources will win more often over a longer period of time is basically a universality across football.

Villa fans wanting the financial rules opened up for them, are gonna get an awful shock if it happens and they realise they’re even further behind Newcastle and Man City.

Keeping them appeased so they don't go on a run for the Super League again would be my best guess.

Romano reported that Villa have cleared all the PSR now and can start signing from the 1st.

This doesn’t really sit with the whole thing of the Premier League going head to head with one of the big 6 in a case that would see them face serious consequences if they lose it.

I think the whole notion of the Premier League trying to protect the big six is nonsense but I do think the current rules help keep the status quo and that is why I don't mind Villa's transfer dealings too much as they are 100% staying within the rules and giving themselves a chance to keep competing at the top end of the table (while actually being sustainable/in no financial trouble anyway).

I really like the Maximilian Beier links for example. Release clause of 30m euro / 25m sterling and on only 16k per week at Hoffennheim right now…so should definitely be gettable but still he seems to be a player with huge potential for development, still only 21 and can play as a CF or could support Watkins from either wing. He is always likened to Thomas Muller but is extremely fast (fastest in the German squad according to Nagelsman - fit in well with Bailey & Diaby) and scored 16 goals in 33 games for Hoffenheim last season.

One i'd like to see the club move on July 1st / or if Duran moves.

I would argue that the current rules have actually helped Villa. I can’t imagine Villa are playing CL football this year if Newcastle had been able to spend as much as they wanted to.

Them having spent (according to transfermarkt) a combined 145m euro on Tonali, Harvey Barnes & Livremento probably wouldn't have helped either. Obviously they didn't have a clue about the Tonali situation but that is huge money. Especially when you consider Villa got Torres, Diaby, Tielemans and Rodgers for under 100m euro and the parts they played in our season.

The thing with the rules is that they favor those that are already established money generating machines because of previous success. Newcasstle like us are trying to break into that group and tbh neither one of us would have been able to without Man Utd & Chelsea imploding the past few years and Spurs I guess being too spursy to capitalize on it.

I'm really hoping that Villa continue to invest post June 30th on a similar ilk to those signed last Summer because there aren't going to be too many opportunities to catch the likes of Utd in the middle of a rebuild and right now with CL football on the table we can attract decent names. Clever investment could make a big difference especially with us also hopefully getting the likes of Beundia, Mings, Ramsey and Kamara back asap.

By clever investment I mean how last season we got Tielemans (Free) and Torres for 33m and just going by the links the likes of Mario Hermoso (Free from Ath Mad) and Maximilian Beier (release clause) could be got for 30m

Yes considering it was his first season in the PL Torres had a great season reliable and just so consistent. Like Konsa he’s exactly what you want from a defender does the basics extremely well

All this is great lads. But when's the new Addidasler coming ! 😍

• Advertisement
Advertisement