Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCI Gran fondo Sligo

Options
  • 07-06-2024 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭

Signed up initially for TT,

Then Medio as had notions to try and qualify in top 25%

subsequently realised thats only for the 155km Gran fondo as i am just over 50.

Emailed and Facebook IM multiple times to request a switch to GF from medio- radio silence.

They seem to be very happy to take the money but very hesitant to supply any sort of communication or customer service.

all about PR and discounts (none for initally signing up i may add,full whack there!)

Judging by the comments on the GF ireland page on FB,it seems like i am not alone in this.

TT route also changed from Strandhill loop to Collooney out and back and not a dicky bird said about it either.

very very strange organisation of this event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭seanin4711

crowd alright and its definatley an experience already

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Michelin

Anyone have any info on this event? like is it going off in age category waves or a mass start?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭benneca1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

I have entered Gran Fondo on Sunday. I am looking for info and instructions re sign-on, car parking, exact start location, times etc.

I have emailed Titan Experience asking them to inform me, direct me to or send me a link to above info. and will post it here if/when they get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Gran Fondo Start Times Confirmed

We are happy to confirm that both the Time Trial on June 29th and the Gran Fondo Race on June 30th will start at 7:30am sharp with Medium Fondo and Sportive Cyclists starting after the Gran Fondo Cyclists have taken off on June 30th (between 8 and 9am - exact times will be confirmed on event week). We advise that all participants arrive at 7am latest to ensure you are in position in your starting pens to start the race.

June 29th

• Time Trial - 7:30am start time at Toberbride Business Park, Collooney.

June 30th

• Gran Fondo - 7:30am start time
    • Medium Fondo and Sportive - 8-9am start time
    • All routes on June 30th will start on Wine Street, Co Sligo, Ireland. Exact meeting point will be confirmed closer to the event

Number Collection for Participants

Friday afternoon, 4pm – 8pm

Time Trial Start Saturday morning, 6am – 7am

Queen Maeve Square Saturday afternoon, 2pm – 8pm

Queen Maeve Square Sunday morning, 6am – 7am

Not used to this level of communication from them,well done

We got an email recently inviting us to buy the official jersey, book accommodation etc. this information was at the bottom of a fairly long email, so it could be easily missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

Thanks, 07 Lapierre (will check now fir that email!).

• Advertisement

another Email today… they are sending out a “participant handbook “ by email shortly so make sure your email firewall is not blocking their emails (check your spam/ junk folders)

Well this event has got it all and it hasnt even started yet

Expensive - I am doing TT-105e and GF 70e (optimistic on the transponder deposit being returned to me).

Very early start (7:30am to allow for closed roads) - air bnb 160 bucks required.

Zero communication until today when it was absolutley necessary

Route changes/updated- TT route changed on a whim and zero comms on it

Closed roads - uncertain what that entails- have my doubts.

Website very poor as is the organisers communication to very basic queries

GF was 155km approx now 132km and includes 2 laps

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/47079489

medio was 110 now——-78km(same as sportive).- website could be getting updated tbh

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45488503

Sportive 78km

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45488503

TT

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45853839

All these routes are on GF ireland website as of 22:58 today- and definatley subject to change!

https://www.granfondoireland.ie/#routes

They are very obviously struggling for numbers with all the offers after the fact 10/15/20 % off etc.

I have a distinct feeling it will be the one and only GF in Ireland,with Titan Experience anyway.

Reminds me of of the "Challenge Galway" debacle.

hope i am wrong.

a1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Seems like a disappointingly poor show alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

does anyone have Strava links to the new routes please?

Also does anyone have any information on what way the pens are going to work at the start? From talking around to lads there’s a lot of quality racers going to this so it will be hot out the gate. A bad starting pen and it’s effectively over

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

signed up early (155 - now 132?) and will be there but … wow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭tinpib

Not a cyclist but live in Sligo. Just happened to be doomscrolling on Facebook and the local radio station Ocean FM had posted something about it regarding traffic restrictions etc.

I hadn't seen or heard anything about this event.

Of course I may have missed it but I always flick through the 2 local newspapers when I visit my parents, nothing in there in recent weeks as far as I saw. That should have been a no-brainer for coverage you would have thought.

Hope it all goes well for people involved, but communication looks pretty sh*t so far from reading comments on here. Like others I also noticed the time trial seems to have moved on the Irish site for the event, but not on the main global one.

Best of luck to all involved, weather looks to be half decent for it, well no major rain anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They've cut 127 metres of climbing in that shortened route in what I thought already lacked enough climbing to show case the area and for such an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Wtf?? 30km lopped off the 2 flagship routes just like that??? That's cause for refund surely.

• Advertisement

Where are you getting your route change info from? There's nothing on the website - it still has the original info and routes. I've not received a email on it either.

Edit - not having a go at you like, but the haphazard event communications! - At this rate I'd have been as well to stay at home and do my IVCA race!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 spudpicker2022

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I had plans to do this, but as its the week before ROK and ive a few other things lined up i let it pass. Was even tempted to sign up again when they were offering discounts around April time, but again let it go.

Seems like I dodged a bullet, the organisation seems a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ellyU

Sounds like you made the right choice.

It’s too early to condemn this event in my opinion. The ROK cycle is on next week…the Etape (which in my view has a wider appeal) may have taken away interest in this event. As for the route changes? Any event taking place on public roads is always prone to last minute changes. For me what’s important on the day is the weather! Followed by good company, a nice route and fully closed roads! So far these criteria look like they will be met. Also a night out in Sligo with a nice meal and a few beers after…I’m look forward to it!

Hmmm. Well if it was advertised day one as a 78km event I doubt if my Mrs would've have bothered with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Wait….what? The Medio Fondo is now 78k?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Michelin

Info is all over the shop here, website is messy and not updated properly. hard to really plan properly for this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HighSlice

Travelling from Dublin for the weekend, thinking about sacking this off now and just going out along the coast solo. Definitely can't be bothered with anything involving laps or circuits. Not a racer so just interested in an enjoyable spin.

Does anyone know the new route - is any of it worth seeing? From what i've checked on google maps it just looks like bog standard featureless country lanes, I can ride that any time I want in North Co. Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

'there has been amendments' so there has, begorrah. Top quality communication straight away.

I admit I was going to sign up, probably for the TT, maybe the Road event itself, very glad I didn't. I know a few colleagues heading to this and I wish them well but I had a sense that this was a money-grabbing nonsense from the start. I await the post-mortems

Advertisement