Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I know they aren't going to do it. But I think it's what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

If leavy was still around they have two more stars at least. **** Herbst.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Dont believe everything that is 'reported'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is it.

The squad has aged since then. Players like Healy and Mcgrath have gone from offering a real impact in the last quarter, to being a downgrade they would prefer to avoid. If you don't want to play your sub loose-head, then you have a problem.

They have been in a golden cage where the aging players were so good it was difficult to drop them. But the fact remains that Healy is now past it and they haven't developed a good replacement. Same can be said about Mcgrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don’t know where that was reported but it’s not credible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe Leinster took their eye off the ball for a few years when they had two top-level LHs in Healy and McGrath but, apart from moving Porter back across there's been nobody at all of note. No disrespect to Byrne or Dooley but neither was ever going to be a great prop.

Milne won't make it, Boyle and McCarthy might, but there's a big gap of about 5 years.

When Moore, Furlong and Porter came through at TH it looked like the barren 'Mike Ross is literally out most important player' period might be over but the same thing has happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

in fairness, Healy followed by McGrath followed by Porter is the greatest run of prop development that any province has ever had, there was always going to be a leaner spell.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,469 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Post edited by sydthebeat on

Yep its ridiculous that Jackman keeps saying that leinster have failed to develop a replacement for Healy in 15 years.

its make or break this upcoming season for Milne.

Boyle could explode onto the scene this upcoming year IMO.

McCarthy may need another season of S&C work before he is ready for lots of gametime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

More optimistic about Slimani after Mike Ross said this:

Saw a couple matches earlier in the year where it looked like he had lost none of his scrum effectiveness. Could work out quite nicely if he stays fit.

https://x.com/mikeross03/status/1805708584652882293?s=46&t=LZNAt8uQdNSsqynXTsT0dw

Someone also posted that he Played all Top14 games for Clermont. 32 Games overall, 25 starts.

James Tracy was also a huge fan of the move.

With a bit of luck Slimani will stay on as scrum coach after he's finished playing. I'd imagine Leinster spoke to him about the possibility at least, as he turned down a coaching job at Clermont to go play one (?) year as a backup with Leinster. A big personal and professional disruption for not a huge wedge of cash.

Hopefully because McBryde has not been a good developer of props.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭conquestscarer

I'm worried about the immediate future of both back up spots at prop, Long term I think there's a huge amount of talent coming through at both positions. Usanov, Boyle, McCarthy, Smyth, Sparrow, and Mullan. If we can't produce decent back ups with that group in the next 5 years something has gone wrong IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Jackman has the hump with all things Leinster at the moment, the Bulls v Glasgow gmae review on 42 he spent a significant period just talking about Leinster.

He is set on stripping players from Irish provinces, seemingly that will make everything better by having players move from Ireland and overseas. That's going on a while now, that players should be moved overseas etc and not stay in the provinces. What he doesn't mention is that plenty of players have moved overseas over the years and yes a few success stories but most just end up as squad players in England etc

The way he goes on you would swear a player never left ireland before.

Anyway he is decent to listen to and seems to have majoirty of media wrapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I am pretty chuffed with this Slimani signing the more I think about it all.

When this was initially rumoured some people had pointed to his recent injury issues but I'm not really seeing where that's coming from.

All rugby has him down as playing 32 games this year including every single round (26 games) of the Top14. You simply don't play that much French Rugby as a prop unless you're hardy as fcuk.

He did miss a few months in 22/23 season by the looks of it but still had 17 appearances which is probably a reasonable barometer of how many he'll play here.

The reality of it is we need to replace a Tighthead who played 28/26/31 times respectively in the last 3 seasons.

Regardless of Clarksons status, that is way too much rugby for him to be playing. It's a huge ask for even both him and McGuire to be playing.

From our POV, we're getting a hugely experienced (250+ domestic, 57 international caps) tighthead whose clearly interested and has an aptitude for coaching. The young tightheads especially can learn a huge amount from a player of this calibre and the young looseheads can cut their cloth scrum training against him.

Leinster have never (?) had a French prop. This is the first time in years that young Irish props have an opportunity of this type to learn off a player with this much top14 experience.

From his POV, he gets to come to a top European club with a top development pathway and see how young players are brought through. He gets to brush up on his English (obviously a boost for a coach), he gets to scrum in a league with different countries, playing styles, refereeing styles and some hardy South African props.

Goes without saying I'd imagine he's on a pretty good chunk of change.

They might be the first we see of the "Not Central But IRFU still pays most of their salary to prevent provincial bickering" contracts.

I don't see a scenario where either of them are put on a fully provincial contract while they're still first choice for Ireland.

Leinster wont be footing the bill for either of them for a few years yet

Not just first French prop, I think he's our first ever French player full stop?

Can't recall too many French players ever playing for the Irish provinces (Frisch is a strange exception).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

James French at Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Slimani with a view to coaching could be a good move for Leinster, if he settles in Dublin a 2-3 year contract with a French scrum coach could realy add to Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭durthacht

Milne won't make it…

That's extremely harsh in my opinion. He struggled last season but missed most of the year through injury, so some drop in form is understandable. The previous year he played fifteen times and scored seven tries as third choice LH, where he was dynamic in the loose and solid enough in set plays. He can get back to those levels in the coming campaign with a good pre-season.

Yeah, I agree. Think he definitely had a disappointing season, but he has really good physical tools and you'd be hopeful they can keep working on his scrummaging to bring him up a level there. The rest of his game (aside from a tendency to concede silly penalties) is in really good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I won't discount Milne yet, but next season he needs to show some major improvements at the scrum. I thought he'd improved there in the 2022/2023 season, but he has regressed a lot.

He's a good carrier, but so are Boyle and McCarthy who are also younger with the scope to improve their games further. If Milne can't become a more solid player at set piece the coaches may see it more worth their time in choosing the younger options available

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Happy with the Slimani signing. He should bolster the scrum. I'm not sure on Milne. His scrimmaging is still suspect and he's now mid 20's. He needs to up his level. For me, Boyle is too light to make international level. He's listed at 106 kg's. Maybe he adds some bulk. I do expect that he becomes a good player without reaching the top level. McCarthy looks the better prospect, size wise. Still, lots of potential.

Boyle isn't 106kg.

Jack Boyle is definitely not 106kgs. You're falling victim to the Leinster stat accuracy.

You need to look outside the pretty limited world of pure stats and just look at him. He's visually much much larger this season than he has been in the past and comparable in frame to his loosehead peers.

And I don't really know how you can write off Boyle as "too light" at 22 and 185cm and then say that McCarthy looks better size wise when he is billed at 21 and 183cm and ~110kg

Exactly, it's bad enough not improving but he seems to have got worse. I might be being harsh but every time I saw him come on the pitch he collapsed at the next scrum and coughed up a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭50HX

Planet rugby, the southafrican.com

R'o c of the independent...I know

We prob don't know the exact figure but I don't think he's signing for a song either

Good luck with him, I hope he works out better than he did for us

Advertisement