Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LockedBoy

Well stated and accurately sums up the general public opinion. Do these pilots really feel they will be that badly off by taking a 12% pay increase. Do they really feel they are being hard done by on salaries that 99% of the country don’t make. Boggles the mind! Also any salary comparison to BA pilots or pilots in different countries is nonsense - any professional can do that and more often than not find salaries are higher elsewhere (doctors, teachers, engineers). Absolutely disgusted by the sheer greed and lack of empathy shown here!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kiss my Axe

I know it’s a hypothetical question and like asking how long is a piece of string but I’m interested in posters thoughts of when they think this will be settled, week, month, 6 weeks etc. just your guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

2-4 weeks would be my wild guess. But that's just based on nothing other than that, a wild guess. I'd note there seems to be quite a lot of animosity between both parties Involved, so you couldn't rule out this being a summer of WTR with strike days thrown in to the mix.

They need to find some common ground, whether the LRC will indeed need to get involved again as they said they would in July to help achieve this, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

good points Mr N…there seems to be a a lot of antagonism towards those who take a less belligerent attitude

to this dispute and are not rowing in four square behind the pilots.

I am not ‘against’ the pilots but also I am not debunking everything management say either.

There are two sides to every argument and it’s not black and white on either side.

These are difficult times for the operating pilots and working to rule for them is not going to be easy

Safely operating an aircraft is difficult enough without having to contend with industrial unrest problems.

First sensible post you have added to this thread B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Kiss my Axe

was thinking myself it would be sorted before the Dail summer recess. The public won’t be happy if they break up and this is still going on.

In fairness, there is not much the government can do. They can ask both parties to get around the table. But our Minister for Transport will do sfa. That's a given.

Aer Lingus is not a semi state or in anyway affiliated to the government. Fully owned subsidiary of IAG.

In your opinion……

It doesn't deviate from what I have been posting all along, i would suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,613 ✭✭✭Trampas

Have EI mentioned anything else bar saying money. Have they even acknowledged the lack of resources and other concerns the pilots have or is it to them just the pay rise they’re looking at. If so far apart it is more than money as that can be trashed out and not cause the big stand off

According to Mark Tighe this morning this has been rumbling on for 22 months which is a long time.

Who is responsible for dragging it on that long is debatable, but really, when stuff is left to fester that long

as in other aspects of life, it usually ends in a Big Bang . Thats what's happening here I would suggest.

Pilots seem to be quite entrenched on this one if I am reading Captain Tighe's demeanour correctly this morning.

• Advertisement

Captain Tighe strikes me as a trade Unionist first and a pilot second. He is the epitome of Union leader imo.

Anyway, that's besides the point. The WTR and strike action has the full backing of the pilots in EI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Well yours is the first post in which anyone has accused me of "playing the man, not the ball" so I don't know why you're suggesting I'm a serial offender on that front?

I said "it stinks of begrudgery", I didn't direct it at you, I was referring to all the posters who have been claiming it was outrageous for a high earner in a senior position to seek a fair pay rise. If senior hospital consultants had been negotiating for an inflationary pay rise for 2 years unsuccessfully having had no rise in 5 years, I'd support them taking industrial action too, even if it affects health care services. They have worked extremely hard their whole lives to attain their position, they should be able to retain the value of their income at least.

As for empathy, I do of course sympathise with anyone affected by the work to rule or strike and as a matter of fact, I'm one of them! I was away last week and flew with EI. I was originally scheduled to fly home with my family today, but I rebooked for a flight on Monday and cut the holiday short. As it turns out the flight today is being operated by a hire in so we would have been fine but I wasn't willing to take that chance.

So while I understand the frustration I don't direct any anger at the pilots, I'm laying the blame squarely with EI management. Nobody who works for a very successful company should be earning less effective income than they were 5 years ago. EI management and IAG are playing the public because they're greedy, not the pilots, that's my opinion.

Your opinion seems to be that once someone is earning above some arbitrary threshold of income, regardless of how successful and profitable the company is, they should be willing to take an effective pay cut. Their legal right to industrial action, having gone through the correct processes, should not be available to them. That just doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

The top of the short haul scale at Aer Lingus is now a lot less than that since a short haul pay scale was introduced during Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

'Work to Rule' is not answering work calls outside work?

I've been on 'Work to Rule' my whole life so 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CoisFharraige

I know right xD I can't believe that the crews there actually do it - I know my banger phone is off the second I finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 knobtasticus

I’ve been told it’s even more egregious than you might imagine - stories of calls coming in on a day off from a blocked or an unidentified mobile number and no sooner does the pilot say ‘Hello?’, crew scheduling immediately tell them they have a change of duty/caught on reserve the next day etc and then hang up before the pilot has a chance to respond. The height of bullsh*t tactics. That’s the sort of messing that goes on in an airline critically short of pilots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I support the pilots to a certain degree within the bounds of fairness and achievability. But damn if this whole "24% payrise, legally mandated rest periods, work to rule, legally mandated hours" isn't wholesale depressing for someone who works in the health service!

You have that lovely Haddington Road agreement 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bikeman1

In relation to the short haul scale. I have a pal who is a FO at EI. He is on the A320/21's. As a result, despite operating short haul a lot of the time, is regularly over to the USA on the A321neo flights. This was not a thing in the past for the 32x pilots but is now. How do the differentiate that now? I was of the impression that nearly all the crews worked a mix of SH and LH?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As ex-CEO of IAG (as well as BA and EI) Willie Walsh is a recipient of stocks in the parent company. Thus an increase in profitability of IAG has a direct financial benefit to him.

His tenure with EI and BA displayed his anti-worker mgmt tactics.

He IS NOT impartial or independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CoisFharraige

This really doesn't surprise me based on how much more Ryanair-esque the airline (in every sense) seems to have become. At the same time, flight crew should really have a burner phone for this very reason, but I understand that is difficult with withheld numbers etc. If it doesn't say in their contract that they need to be on-call on days off, I'm surprised so many of them have let it get that far. That said it might just be part of the goodwill flight crew have been offering that management have been taking for granted.

Most pilots are flying transatlantic now. But with the lower short haul scale that was introduced during covid, any first officer who has taken command since then is short haul only and can't operate transatlantic flights. Existing captains before that scale was introduced can fly the neo across the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Just don't answer the phone to unknown numbers. I never answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wrex

Interesting observation, taking from RTE. I thought i might be ok as im flying BA on Saturday morning to Heathrow. Ironically BA have just in the last couple of weeks switched to terminal 2, with Aer lingus taking over ground handling! So perhaps other Aer Lingus staff will down tools, and perhaps others working for or at the airport on Saturday.

Concern over impact of potential pickets

IALPA should clarify if pickets are going to be placed at Dublin Airport during a planned strike on Saturday, former Air Corps Lieutenant Colonel Kevin Byrne has said.

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne, Mr Byrne said if pickets are in place, it may be difficult for other staff at the airport "to pass those picket lines" which would cause further disruption for passengers and "unforeseen consequences".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Maybe an industrial relations expert would have been better than a former defense forces officer.

No airport staff or other Aer Lingus staff are going to "down tools" in sympathy with the flight crew.

Any such action would be illegal.and in breach of their own IR agreements. Regardless of their own personal feelings on the matter.

If there are pickets it will be on the traffic islands at the entrances to the airport. Not at ther terminal itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Over 300 quid to get to London on Saturday - Ryanair making hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pretty sure if you join a strike when you aren't on strike it's illegal to start with and you'd be open to disciplinary issues.

Unless strike notice has been served by your union your expected in work. This is no different

So any management who try to keep down costs and keep the company viable is "anti-worker" ?

Hmmm…..OK…. I think I know where you stand right now.

As with IALPA their job is to look after the pilots conditions its managements job to ensure

the company is competitive , versus its competitors, and its costs.

• Advertisement

Breaking news IALPA going into talks with Are Lingus tomorrow

Advertisement