Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ascophyllum

I mentioned it to some family who have some loose items at their house, they pointed out that met.ie are just saying the winds will be 'fresh'.

An average wind of 60kmph with gusts to 80 is definitely fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Lovely day today in Dublin….lovely bit of warmth

• Registered Users Posts: 33,468 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was hazy/foggy early this morning, but lovely now that its all burnt off. Beautiful out.

Calm before the storm by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Sunny and warm this morning but beginning to cloud over now

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gilly1910

This is a rather depressing outloook below from Boards weather expert M.T. Cranium. So sadly it looks like Summer 2024 is going to be pretty poor at best. Maybe it's time we stopped using seasons in Ireland, as give or take a few spells here and there, it's pretty much between 5 and 15 degrees all year round.

Wednesday, 26 June, 2024 __ Forecasts for Ireland

TRENDS: Today will mark the end of this brief warmer spell, and from Thursday into early or perhaps even mid-July, it will be rather cool again with temperatures on average about 1 to 2 deg below average. It will be showery (after today) but rainfalls will be below average in east and south, near normal in west and north. Sunshine will be generous today but limited to about 50-75 per cent of normal thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

You don't know it's going to be pretty poor at best. I can gaurentee if we get a gret week in last week in July and two weeks of fine weather in August it wll actually go down as a decent summer.

Too early to write the summer off yet, despte what some posters seem to think. (Not having a direct go at you btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lip Out

We are 26 days into summer. Anyone suggesting they know what will happen weather wise for the next two months are delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭pureza

Beautiful summers day here in Arklow so far

Already 21c

The sunny southeast (northern tip of it anyhow)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think you can predict most Irish Summers by saying it will be cool and mixed a lot but with also some dry warm days.

I remember learning one time that in an average Summer week in the West of Ireland there will be 4 days where rain will fall with the other 3 dry but maybe not all sunny. Some weeks we get 4/3 while others it's 5/2 or 6/1. 1985 was 7/0 most weeks.

In any case there are 2 storm systems coming to the Northwest in the coming week which is strange in Summer. However unlike Winter these storms should not bring 50mm of rain just strong breezes and 80kph gusts and 15mm of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely day in Galway so far although it's starting to cloud over.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Summer 2024 in a nutshell.

My holiday in Spain end of August can't happen soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

So basically the same as summer 2023 give or take. FFS 🤦🏻‍♂️

May and June have been very dry in the west. Just like in 2023. I think there is a pattern emerging. I have absolutely no complaints about May and June 2024. Loads of outdoor activities and light.

Even Dunsany is showing only 29mm for June. The average is 71mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Gonzo posted a chart for 1 day. Which is out in FI anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

May and June 2024 will have been one of the driest on record at Dublin Airport. Currently it's the 4th driest on record (though May/June 2018 were a different level altogether).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not as dry in Sligo as the West but not a deluge in May or June. June is on 67mm currently . Will be 100mm by month end which is normal or a little above for here. May was about 60mm I think.

Here's tomorrow's storm that will add 15mm to Sligos total

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yes, I've recorded the same here (Loughlinstown numbers below), 2018 was drier in May, June alright, its an improvement on last year for sure. Hard to imagine we'll get a repeat of July - December 2023 again which was horrendous but unusually bad.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I thought i saw highs of 24c in Dublin today but its actually cold in D3 in the strong breeze

Very warm now in Dublin city centre...lots of people sitting out having lunch making it feel very continental

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Freezing in fairview lol

Edit: much warmer away from coast

Post edited by Thelonious Monk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sunshine first thing and now wall to wall cloud. 18C. Looks like showers anytime soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a nice warm day here in Meath with 22C and sunshine, could be the last one for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's to early to say just yet , I.don't like posts like this because we still have July, August and 1st half of September to go

Warm here in carrick but rain is coming in from the west ,warm rain as well

Exactly…we often can get "Indian Summers" in August and September even into early October at time

this happened last year. Hottest weather of 2023 was during the September heatwave and then we had one more warm spell early October which got temperatures into the low 20s for a few days.

Back to today and today has felt like the warmest day of the year. Monday was warmer but there was barely any sunshine until late in the evening vs today which got to 23c here in Meath and we had lots of sunshine up until an hour ago. 24C currently in Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Magilligan in County Derry got down to 1.6c this morning. Very chilly for late June

I might be wrong but I don't think that's correct. June 2023 had hotter days and a much longer spell of heat. I think we hit 29C in June but I would need to check. It was the warmest June on record and the 5th warmest summer ever.

• Advertisement

Well on Sunday night temperatures didn't drop below 17c here in carrick so it was abit uncomfortable but last night it got down to 6c just before sunrise

Advertisement