Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E Class corroded subframe

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Expensive though for a few minor things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Squatman

thanks for this oh great one. minor work to me doesnt constitue a 900 euro bill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I kept mine long enough to bring it for a service. Out to main dealer, "while you're at it, will you correct the aim on the windscreen washer jets?".

This job requires a specific tool. I would imagine 30 seconds on each.

A year later, getting shot of it, I reviewed my service documents and lo and behold I see a line on the last one :

Windscreen Washer Adjustment €24, to which was added VAT.

I'd imagine €900 wouldn't go very far at all.

• Advertisement

Go price something as simple as 2 shocks or 2 wishbones for an E Class at a main dealer and let me know how you get on.

shocks arent "minor things" i dont think anyone would consider relacing the suspension system as minor activity. but you make up examples to satisify your perception of another posters example if it pleases you. goodmabe luser1988

I don’t really care what you consider to be minor. But I can give you another example if you like. My mother was quoted over €1,500 to replace two wishbones in the main dealer. I went to the motor factors for her and bought a pair of them for €160 and had them fitted for another €100 or so. Is that minor enough for you? Or do you want to give me some real world examples that you’ve experienced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Odelay

I was quoted €2000 for disks and pads. Got them done with local mechanic for €500. I’d consider that to be minor work.

• Advertisement

When you respond with name calling you’re losing….

Anyone have a mysterious coolant leak on these? Definitely not a head gasket, so slight i cant see where its going.

Its usually leaks around the fuel filter housing. Very common problem on the 2.1 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 p molo

My Mercedes-Benz failed the NCT and has been taken off the road for being deemed dangerous. The issue is due to corrosion on the subframe, which Mercedes-Benz is legally required to replace. However, Mercedes Ireland has informed me that it will take six months to replace the subframe. Since I need my car for work, what should I do in the meantime????

Is this a MB scam??? Delaying tactics

they have a 30 year rust warranty

Have a read of the thread, its been discussed multiple times

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They are taking the piss with the time frame primarily to avoid doing the repairs imo.

Get an aftermarket subframe fitted at your own cost and let mercedes still it up their ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

and there you have it. You bought aftermarket/spurious parts. Nothign wrong with that in itself, but thinking buying OEM in the dealer and 3rd Party in a Factors is going to be comparable is just………. daft.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Ah you again, your only 2 months late this time.

The point I made was that €900 is fairly normal for routine maintenance or minor work if you go to a main dealers. Would you not agree? And If you go to an independent mechanic (or the motor factors) you will only pay a fraction of the cost. Not everyone wants or needs OEM parts on their 10 year old rusty C Class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Does anyone know if this corroded sub frame issue was ever resolved in later W212 models? Or do they all suffer the same problem?

I believe the warranty was extended in the UK for this, but was similar applied here, or do they not bother, as we are a smaller country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I recall about 10 years ago bringing my Merc to a Merc dealer for its first service after buying it secondhand - they charged about 10 euro for filling up the screen wash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I agree certainly that €900 is a lot for anything. Btdt, have the invoice(s)…..and for higher too…

If you look at the costs per hour of the local Indy vs the Main Dealer, there is a difference, certainly. Think €65/hr versus €125/hr.

So, in a 2-hour job, that's a difference of €120. Taking your €900, all other things being equal, that could reduce the bill to €720. Still a big bill.

So, the balance is parts. And that's the veritable 'how much is a head gasket for a blue van' scenario.

Last year I need a new sensor for my M-B, and was quoted €600 odd by main dealer (supply-only). Only they couldn't get one, as they were on b/order. I had an NCT looming, so went for a 3rd Party one at €200.

That's when the trouble started. The firmware in the new part played havoc with various systems in the car (no, I don't get it either, but clearly it was interfering with the BUS). I got 'System Assist' and various safety system errors. I coudln't switch on main beams (dips only). Cruise control wouldn't work. After several visits to the Indy (chargeable), I relented and went on the waiting list for the OE part from the dealer.

The OE part plug & played, all errors cleared, and it's been perfect since.

So, eventually, I'm down the €200 for the spurious part, 2 x rounds of labour to fit/fix, and I still ended up buying the top-dollar OE part. Whatever way you look at it, it would have been cheaper to skip the 3rd Party steps.

Sometimes it will work in your favour, and sometimes it won't. But you can't always make an assumption that the Dealer option - whilst still a big number - isn't actually ultimately more expensive. You have to look at each job on it's merits and you have to be comparing Apples with Apples.

My 0.02.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Core6

I don't think it was ever resolved on the W212.

I know the problem was there from the first of the W212, W204 and other models and probably there to the end.

I have heard that one in three cars suffered from the problem.

I had a W204 and a W212 that both suffered from it.

MB replaced both with no charge. I twas a slow process as subframes were in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Thanks. Had it on a 2010 212 and got it replaced. Family member just buying a 2015 212 and thinks it won’t be an issue, as it was just a bad batch on the earlier ones. He’s not even bothering to get it checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Core6

He might be right but I would definitely get it checked if I was him. That said, it isn't easy to see until it is badly rusted.

Both my cars that needed the subframe replaced were late 2011 models.

Mercedes replaced them for free but I was without each the cars for months - fortunately the problems surfaced about a year apart so at least one was on the road at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That sounds like they've coded something to the part to force you to use MB parts. Though tbh a quick Google suggests theres all sorts of version incompatibilities with genuine MB parts as well. Perhaps there was the same version issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 p molo

MB guaranteed x 30 years rust free!!

you would be more like 6 months without a car now due to what im told is "parts availability". Its great that MB are standing over this, however its scandalous that this safety concern wasnt a forced recall, as it was in the UK. So in the case of my car, which was a UK import, had it stayed in the UK, it would have been reacalled before the seriuos corrosion that failed the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Only a matter of time before someone loses their life because of an issue like this and an Irish importer gets sued into oblivion for their negligence.

Advertisement