Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan resigns before the General Election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

We regularly hear politicians criticise some members of the public for their attitude to politicians. But here we have councillors, from government parties refusing well wishes to the retiring Green leader.

It seems, at times, that there is a race to the bottom in Irish politics

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well that makes for pretty grim reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The man who called the vote needs to be disciplined by his Party. A shockingly churlish act.

And I can't stand Eamon Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

It would be hypocritical in my opinion to wish well someone you believe to have damaged your country and nation no matter how well intentioned or deluded the religion or ideology behind the damage.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it’s pretty unsurprising that Ryan with his outright arrogance and rude condescending nature towards citizens and political colleagues would end up with that reaction.

If it was anyone else behaving in that manner that he has over the last number of years they’d have been annihilated by the press.

But….’because the environment’ He has received a hall pass from lots of sections of society…. Now his fellow political representatives are simply saying… “ thanks Eamonn, don’t let the door hit you on the way out “….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Green mentality is all the same though.

Thats the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

You mean that Green party leaders are supporting green policies in the EU?

In that sense , Green members across Europe have similar, if not the same, outlook on environmental issues and would all support Nature restoration. Is this really a surprise to you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

As far as I'm concerned this is completely backwards. He is an utterly bog standard minor party leader but gets untold levels of opprobrium for twisted ideological reasons. What specific things should be have been annihilated in the press for? I can only wonder what people will shift their hatred towards when the vast majority of green policies continue to be implemented when they are no longer in government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

speaking of rudeness, what other ministers have set out to meet with every council in the country? he's been more open than most.

Well maybe if they incentivised people to be more environmentally conscious and stop beating with a stick the whole time. They might get them on their side. Reduce taxes on more environmentally friendly products or such initiatives instead of trying to tax people out of existence. And yes i know that just doesn't come from just the greens either. Yad wonder why theres so much hate for them across Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

IIRC european rules mean we can't just reduce VAT on certain products (i think i heard this in the context on removing the VAT on female sanitary products) as it could be seen as anti-competitive. will see if i can find a source on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

when there are no greens in government after the election, who are you going to blame for all these things? do you think the next government will just get rid of carbon taxes and whatever else you deem eamon responsible for? he takes a ridiculous amount of flack, i've never seen the likes in my lifetime following politics.

it's amazing how everyone thinks the tiny carbon tax is the reason they are broke.

As i said its not just the greens. Its in the party name so their the whipping boys.

It sicken to watch environmentally issues used as reason to raise taxes without any environmental benefit either way. So you think this is the way it should proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well if they raised carbon tax to a level where people were much more frugal with fossil fuels, it probably would help the environment. wouldn't be palatable politically though.

personally i think there should be a drive for us all to consume less of everything, but that doesn't really fly in capitalist societies and people would take this message as an attack on their standard of living, but things will have to change sooner or later as we can't continue as is. there is a crazy amount of wasted energy and materials in ireland and the rest of the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, the bus and train fares were reduced, with the multi-mode 90 min fare that made travelling by PT much cheaper and attractive. Was that a stick or a carrot?

They have grants from SAEI for solar panels and insulation that should reduce energy bills well into the future. Was that a stick or a carrot?

EVs pay little or no VRT. Is that a stick or a carrot?

Rural link bus services have been introduced across rural Ireland. Of course, that must be a carrot, but perhaps for you it looks like a stick.

Green policies should save most people money by reducing consumption - the key message from the Greens.

Less of most things people consume costs less than more of the same thing.

it doesn't matter; to many people, ryan is a bogeyman who just wants to raise taxes. it doesn't matter how many schemes like that which were introduced under the greens, people want to believe in the bogeyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Grants went straight into the installers pocket,the grant scheme actually increased costs for homeowners.It is a bonanza for solar installers.

Ev grants have mostly gone to a wealthy green voting cohort or taxi drivers,nothing for the squeezed middle,recent sales have slumped so the grant scheme has failed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So you are against taxes and grants that try to steer people towards climate action that might reduce climate change.

I am not aware of any evidence to support your supposition that grants went into the pockets of suppliers. The drop of EV sales has more to do with the new prices dropping giving rise to high depreciation of second hand EVs that made them unattractive to new buyers who fear further drops - plus the lack of public charging infrastructure.

The Greens introduced a feed-in tariff to enable those with surplus solar power to sell it back to the grid rather than donating it.

The fact that taxi drivers use EVs would be proof positive that there are cheaper than diesel - EVs cost less to run the diesel or petrol cars.

OK, tell us how you would achieve the Green agenda? Of course, you would not use carbon taxes or grants, so you must have better ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They are clowns and deserved to be called out

Acting like kids in the playground

Solar prices increased because of supply and demand. Even after the grants I got my system installed very reasonable price. Soon after and during covid everyone decided they wanted a system. The number of installers was low so the price went up, also equipment prices went up

The EV grant ended up a disaster but at the start it worked.

Nothing for the squeezed middle? who do you think is buying EV's?

• Advertisement

Have u got solar panels or have you availed of any of the grants?

I have solar panels for 3years and have availed of the insulation grants and without exception the non grant price was always cheaper,the grant system distorts the market and the grants are always pocketed by the installers,go over to the renewables thread to see the price inflation in solar installation even with the recent 0% vat rating,grants don't always work

The intention behind the grants was commendable but don't try to make out the taxpayer is getting value,they are paying more with the grant system.

Good for you,you were on the renewable thread and researched your purchase thoroughly if I recall correcty.supply was never an issue,there was no shortage of solar parts during covid.the number of solar installers has never been higher and it's the same with prices.

how do you explain no real reduction when the vat was abolished?It wasn't passed on to the consumer.

Ev sales have collapsed so its not the squeezed middle buying them,sfa are buying them and the upcoming tariffs on Chinese evs will kill it altogether

I have an ev charger going in at this moment to future proof my house to avail of the 600e grant before it ceases in a few days time,the cost of installing it has increased due to grant,the grant is eaten up by the installer,nothing i can do.

No I wasn't

The prices are not the same, hence why so many used the likes of the thread on boards to compare like all people should. A great facebook page as well

Prices reduced when 0% was introduced if you had tracked the price etc.

EV sales are down, so are all car sales. But plenty still buying and most in the middle, the number of Teslas/MG etc is growing, more slowly than the companies would like but is growing. Chinese cars are grand for a few, most won't touch them, including me, so don't really care if the price goes up on them

Not sure why you think you need to install a charge point to future proof a house, a charger can be installed at any time and the prices will in reality decrease and not increase. You are wasting your money installing one now.

I

Most installers did not pass on vat reduction,you are new to solar game so probably did not track rip off that was going on.

Regarding the charger,im using up the 600e grant for the charger,already looking at etrons and others,its strange that you would think the charger is a waste Of time and that prices will come down.

"new to solar game" no, I have been pricing solar for years, long before the grant was even released

You said you wanted to protect for future investment, you don't need a charger for that, you just need to pull the cable at a max. If you are actually buying a car then it could make sense before the grant reduces but seems a bit excessive to me to install a charge point with no car.

If you are just doing to protect future investment then just pull the cable.

FYI SEAI was created in 2002, the system of grants etc has been their go to since then.

In terms of solar the introduction of FiT is a far better solution to the grants.

The FIT is a game changer for domestic solar installation.

With surplus energy paying in to the customer makes the payback time shorter. Otherwise, a battery would be required to store that energy, with resultant loss as storage is not free of loss.

I don't disagree with you both regarding Fit,but I can't see it lasting at the current rates.new pricing structures could even see negative fit where the solar owner will pay yhe energy company to export,it's happened already in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Packrat

He's banned. Temporarily or permanently we won't know for about 5 weeks if ever.

He might choose to rereg or just name change after returning if he's temp-banned which I suspect might be the case.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

We used to have a banlist where you could see what the story was, but it got overrun with spam and re-reg accounts, so they scrapped it

Advertisement