Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Sorry for laughing but this post has reminded me of the Ballad of Gimli when he was playing through Bloodbourne. 🤣🤣

This level of frustration being shown by a seasoned git gud game player is why FS games just aren't for me. I simply don't have the time or the inclination to pour hours upon hours into fighting one enemy, area. My gaming is my down time. Hope you get it womped BTW.👍

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also: did some exploring down the Recluses' River and found three Scadutree fragments (one random and two hippos) in around ten minutes. That's more like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It can definitely be frustrating, but the good almost always outweighs the bad in these games, and there's so much to enjoy in this DLC that even if I can't beat the final boss, my view on the game won't be tarnished.

Will just have to buckle the f*ck up, knuckle the f*ck down, and persevere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Cordell

I simply don't have the time or the inclination to pour hours upon hours into fighting one enemy

Before Elden Ring I used to think the same, but now I'm happy to report that I am converted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,874 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fire Knights the guys with daggers and red cloaks? Yeah, the can get fucked.

• Advertisement

And they are everywhere in Shadow Keep.

E. Ve. Ry. Where.

Jaheeeezus. How many floors are there to the storeroom and why are there 50 red Knights on each floor? Impossible to take each on and explore, I'm just running around like benny Hill. At least i found 5 more **** cookbooks!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Think I’m pretty much done with all the map. Going to try the final boss again tonight

ok either the boss got nerfed or having near full power is a game changer. First try and had only a tiny bit of damage left before he got me

and……done

The final 10% of his bar is pure hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Beat a few bosses now, it is quite tough, I probably shouldnt have started the DLC with an NG+5 character.

Ive started to open up the map now aswell, from what I've seen so far it's quite a large map. I will say the first open area felt a bit bare.

Running a DEX/ARC build atm but I might change that up, still haven't got a weapon from the DLC I'm interested in using.

The remembrance weapon I did look at was from Rellana, but the stat split put me off

Post edited by EoinHef on

Will.... Messmer is just a delight.

And he's done, Jesus Christ, incredibly tough fight.

Fair play! Didn't get much time to play last night but started focusing just on his first phase, trying out a few different weapons and just practicing the dodges. Still getting whomped most of the time and one mistake usually f*cks the whole thing up, but getting through more of his attacks unscathed now. The backhand blades seem to be working best for me.

The second phase, I'm not sure how the hell you're even meant to do that. Every time I've reached it it still just feels like absolute insanity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Awh, had forgotten how adorable the Vulgar Militia are. Such tiny little arseholes ☺️

The first phase I was able to get done with about 8-10 Estus flasks remaining. It goes downhill then

It’s very chaotic, not like the Sekiro bosses where I felt I learned all their moves and mitigated them effectively. This is very much roll 10 times and hope. Then hit with blasphemous Blade when either he is distracted by mimic or takes a break after a 10 hit combo

Yeah that feels like my main issue with the second phase, you have to not only dodge attacks, but dodge to the correct side to be able to dodge again to avoid the AoE blast, and then pray you can even get a decent hit in before the next attack comes.

But, learning Phase 1 should help a lot as most of the attacks are the same minus the AoE blast, so just going to focus on it.

I hate Enir Ilim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Found a new Katana and got excited it was going to replace the Moonblade…. and it didnt. The search continues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still looking for that rivers of blood replacement. It's weapon art just has too much range and the bleed effect so satisfying that I can't to move on.

• Advertisement

The steps in the Thiollier quest are hilarious - 'do stupid thing multiple times without positive feedback to progress'. You've got to hate and love From's obtuseness in equal measure. Would never have puzzled it out without a guide - indeed, didn't even know you could do stupid thing in the first place!

Went off on a tear to find other dungeons, boards, tree fragments. Fought general gaius and couldn't believe what i found in the area beyond him 🥰

Decided to cash in some remembrances and got me some new weapons, none of which were speaking to me but i had read a specific weapon skill on a boss weapon is very handy. So i decided to take a risk, out my great katana to +25, made it a bleed build and put on the skull, can't even remember the game but it's in this quick vid. Makes mince meat of enemies and the bleed damage is unreal. Feels weird one handing a great katana but it does slightly more damage than 2 handing it which makes no sense to me. Anyway, really liking this setup. Also, the red Knight hood is a bit crazy with its hp, stamina and some other buff, souls fashion be damned.

I'm sure i could use better talismans to help with this as i take quite a few hits getting in close, also there might be a much better weapon to use with it but i was sick of my spear and wanted to take a chance on something.

There is also the frustration that you need to use the small windows when he is not attacking to heal, then he is right back on top of you with another combo

And final boss is defeated. I can't take all the credit, RNG seemed to help as on the try I won, he fell into a bit of a pattern of the same general combo attack for most of it (though like Unearthly said, the last 10% became chaos). I was also lucky in getting a chance to bring in the Mimic about halfway through the fight which helped pull aggro, and took a bullet in the form of the grab attack which gave me a chance to heal, buff and reapply weapon grease.

I stand by what I said previously though, this is just a bullsh*t fight. If it was all like the first phase with maybe a new thing or two added in the second phase, it'd be tough but fair. But what they add in the second phase is just pure nonsense and is artificial difficulty; just throwing so much at you to completely bombard rather than challenge you. Messmer was a tough but really well designed boss fight. Malenia too, aside from the Waterfowl Dance and the fact she heals if she hits you, the actual fight itself felt fair. This just wasn't.

But it's done now, and like I said, it doesn't ruin my opinion of the DLC. The amount of stuff they packed into this, the design, the new weapons and items.... insane.

Post edited by Penn on

Right, have a question about fighting the npc's in Enir Ilim.

Leda chatting ****??? Summons bandage head and dry arse dane to fight me?? WTF did i miss? In central planes, both were chatting to me fine, even once the spell was broken. Then Leda asked me something that i had clicked passed and i could choose Bandages or no one. I didn't realise i was putting a hit on bandages so felt bad about that.

Then i met 2 more npc's in shadow Keep and seeing a quick Google, looks like i missed leda in shadow keep. Now they are waging war on me in Ilim, i mean Dane was a summon to help me against rot queen but i didn't use him when i beat her as he was giving her too much health. Bandages helped me beat Messmer. Google says Ansbach should have a summon sign to fight against leda but i must not have progressed his quest at shadow keep.

You'd need a serious guide to keep up with the side quests.

Apologies, tiredness is making me forget a lot of names 😞

I could barely keep up with it myself. I'd forgotten half the guys who show up for it too, people just kept dropping in until it was bedlam. I know Ansbach asked me to give something to Freya which I guess progressed his quest so I had him as a summon, and I had Thollier as well. Not sure if I could have had more. I know we were up against Leda, Freya, Dryleaf Dane, and Moore (who the f*ck is Moore?), and maybe someone else, I don't even know. I died a few times against just Freya and Moore, so the first time I survived long enough for Ansbach to start helping me, NPCs just kept appearing so I just spammed my weapon skill AoE and hoped for the best and thankfully won. It was awesome as it was, but yeah I wish I'd had a better idea on the NPC quests and what was actually happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I stopped to read a message at the bottom of a small staircase in a catacomb, it said something along the lines of 'First off, message, and then time for explosion'.

The half second it took me to process and exit the message meant it it was too late to roll to safety and I was hit by a large fireball from those imp cannon enemies.

Couldn't help but laugh and had to applaud the message. It had a few thousand appraisals so I think they got quite a few people.

Was up late last night making many ‘nearly but not quite’ attempts at Messmer, just constantly - tantalisingly - a few hits away from victory.

Turned it on tonight and got him on my second try.

Remember kids: sometimes all you need is a break (and some sleep) to overcome the From boss stalemate!

Fantastic boss though. Hits hard and fast, and relentlessly, and has several nasty combos. But he also feels learnable and surmountable, unlike say the cheaper tricks present in the Melania fight. One of the great From fights IMO. Not looking forward to the final one, but very satisfied with that as a good, old school challenge.

So turns out I'm at the final boss.... He really doesn't want you using summons does he 😂 I'm +12 tree blessing so might not be levelled enough for this but i fell like i just want to beat it at this stage. Reading yer comments above, i can't imagine what his last 10% looks like as he's mental from the get go.

• Advertisement

A tactic I used and not just for the final boss as it’s quite common in the DLC to have a boss attack straight away is use the Wondrous Physick crystal tear Opaline Bubbletear. It allowed me to summon and i could afford being hit then

Advertisement