Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm - New schedule coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She has been swanning around on 2fm for 14 years and only got in there in the first place because of who her oul lad was.

If she really wanted to make a name for herself on radio then why not try to get a better position on one of the other stations instead of taking the easy option bladdering on about showbiz news on 2fm all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Newbie12345The

or actually try to improve her abilities/skills, and not coast on her surname, but sure why start now

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Newbie12345The

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Gareth moved to Radio 1 in 1997, it was a bit of a strange move if I recall, Gaybo was beginning his wind-down and Gareth took on 2-3 of his shows per week and Gay continued to do 2-3 shows.

Tony Fenton then moved into Gareth’s 3-5 slot (he used to call it 3-5 LIVE!). Dusty Rhodes took over Tony’s Hotline at 7pm (later renamed “Most Wanted”, but imo it was never the same without Tony).

Then in early 98, Barry Lang departed entirely and Aidan Leonard took his drive time 5-7 slot.

In Summer 98, Iano famously handed his notice in but they showed him the door immediately. Gareth was brought back from Radio 1 as his breakfast replacement.

I don’t think this schedule lasted more than a year or 18 months or so. By late 99 or early 2000, Gareth had moved back to afternoons again, Tony made way and took the 5-7pm slot and Damian McCaul took breakfast.

And as we all know, that pattern continued into the 2000’s, with numerous schedule changes every other year at least! The settled period of the 1990’s was never repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭supereurope

Very useful, thanks. As I said above, I clearly remember Tony Fenton taking over afternoons and Dusty Rhodes moving to replace him on the Hotline in 1997, but remembered the other movements less clearly, particularly what happened to Gareth O'Callaghan that freed up the afternoon slot. The Hotline soldiered on for two years under Dusty, until Most Wanted replaced it in May 1999. That was pretty short-lived in comparison though, think it ended around 2003?

I'd actually forgotten completely Damian McCaul's not-so-great move to breakfast until recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah the Hotline was never the same when they changed it to a 2 hour slot for “Most wanted”. Yes it ended around 2003, both Dusty and Tony left 2FM around the same time I think.

Yeah McCaul’s stint in Breakfast didn’t last long either. He was replaced by Tubridy’s “Full Irish”.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's Today FM's permanent playlist.

2FM, well the shows I have listened to, seem to actually try to play better stuff to be fair, and some of the better presenters highlight new artists and music. I posted in this thread a few weeks ago about how their Friday morning run of songs included CMAT, Peggy Gou, SZA, Strabe, Khakiki Kid etc. that's not run of the mill stuff. And that was by a new presenter that is being lumped in with the tik tockers just because their name that is not that of a 50 year old male. That presenters show regularly play that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

This forum is going to hell or needs better moderation. The amount of misogyny, hatred, and bitterness around here is getting to be OTT. Don’t like a presenter, that’s fine but personal attacks, gloating on their misfortune or denigrating people on a personal level who haven’t even taken up a post yet isn’t on. I’m here because I’m interested in the effects of the changes going on in the industry here just now. Not a radio pro but an avid listener. It’s not much fun trawling through angry keyboard warrior stuff at tge same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

its funny how GOC on breakfast 2fm only lasted 18 months, i thought he was there a long time. I remember they had a billboard campaign bigging up the "Des and Gareth" element with football jerseys on a washing line with their names on them. They really were in a proper war with Radio Ireland at the time and they had to do serious marketing. I thought it was a good show myself, but GOC in the afternoons on 2fm was probably one of their best decisions ever, it was a great show (yes i know about the Steve Wright stuff but I only found that out decades later!).

I am not going to jump on Lottie's grave, i posted here a month ago hoping it would go well for her and TBH I dont think 3/4 weeks is a fair way of assessing her although I did note the lack of interaction between her and her co-host, a minor thing that could be sorted. It's funny wandering down memory lane, I do remember Gerry frequently telling us about "charlotte" and what she was up to in the last few years of his show, maybe he was prepping the ground a bit.

I think Mr Dobson's description on what a presenter does on radio is a bit unfair and reminds me of the sort of thing you hear when workers start looking for more pay ("sure all luas drivers do is push a leaver and sit on their arses all day").

The thing about it is that you never notice a good one but by god you notice the bad ones. Even in the days of Nova and Hot Hits Sunshine where you would hardly hear a DJ during the hour it was the same, and as I have said before this is a national radio station and its paid for by the licence fee, we should be demanding the best talent properly trained to do the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Its another woman, so of course people here will have a pop. As @squonk highlighted, misogyny is rampant on boards…

Definiteky. GO’C in the afternoons was great. I didn’t realise he’d nicked a lot of the presentation style off Steve Wright. It wouldn’t have been noticed here at the time as BBC R1 coukd only be picked up on LW/MW so it was a step down for many to go from FM. Only A252 managed to lure listeners away from FM successfully I’d wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You weren't far off the mark. He's co written a Children's book.

And I stand by my opinion that putting Justine Stafford and Garron Noone on a show would be like putting two Liveline callers in charge of a music show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

"written with" Karen Owen

Just speak some random shoite into this dictaphone here, Donnacha, and I'll try to make something out of it.

Ah feck it, I'll just write it meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So apparently Lottie knew all along that she was only doing 5 weeks of the new show, all cleared up now…

"I wanted to clear up some recent headlines about my role at 2FM. When it was announced that I would be taking over Drive, it was always agreed between myself and my bosses that this would be
    for a five-week stint. The term "summer schedule" has led to some
    confusion, implying a 12-week duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It is a very bizarre loyalty to RTÉ or it is the truth.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

Hold on.

The article on Monday was very clear - with plenty of quotes - that she was "devastated" and felt "used" why would she have those feelings if this was all known to her beforehand?

And the article on monday was true about her being let go from the show so whoever went to the irish sun was in the know.

Some have opined on here that lottie would put up with putting out the bins at 3am if it meant staying in RTE and to be honest her Instagram statement seems to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A storm in a tea cup. RTÉ should be getting rid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

I'm sure photoshoots for presenters for a five week stint is totally normal. Perhaps the Fair City photographer had a free afternoon 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

So she prefers to read out social media news than host a drivetime show.

what’s that I’m smelling?

It does read like she was fired, got mad, went to the papers, got hauled in by the boss and was told to roll back the story or else. Summer schedule does imply something lasting till September so I don’t think anyone was expecting her to be going anywhere for 3 months after the initial announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The reality is that making say 100k a year for a radio show and not being allowed do outside commercial work simply isn’t worth it for the likes of Jennifer Z, 2 Johnnies, Donnacha etc.

100k for early mornings, abuse on twitter from total oddballs and weirdos, likely to be replaced on short notice. Nah, not a good gig. Loads of folks in their 20’s and early 30’s already bringing home that wedge for a 9-5 Mon to Fri.

poor them! poor! poor them! I feel so sorry for them.

Well done to the folks in their 20s and 30s earning that living, working hard 9 to 5, doubt they have any problems in work!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Just saying that a salary of 100k with no chance of making additional income just isn’t a great deal these days for people who have other revenue streams.

It’s like people complaining that politicians get paid too much when they should almost certainly be paid more.

It’s very easy make 120k+ in Dublin these days if you do some long-term career planning. For that you can get some pretty cushy numbers as well. Talking realistically about 25-30 hours a week, remote work, expenses. No having to deal with online abuse, being harassed for photos when out etc.

That’s just the reality.

Bod years ago RTÉ should have said to their "stars" that's fine we can't afford you, you head to the US or to the UK and now they should be saying, we definitely can't afford you and if you dislike the terms then you know where the door is and since you are good at your job you can find other sources of income.

In fairness if you want to send me a link to such jobs, I'd happily apply and again those in RTÉ can also avail of such positions with a career plan also. RTÉ don't need them is all I am saying.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 39,820 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the summer schedule meaning has changed then. I was in college in 2006 and that summer I worked in a place where the radio was on 2fm most of the day and Gerry Ryan was replaced by either Damian O Reilly or Aidan Leonard, and it was more than five weeks.

In the past RTÉ Talent would take of for the summer, Gay, Gerry and Pat would all be off for 2 to 3 months before returning in the autumn, around that time it began to change with the arrival of Newstalk and the Regional yuff radio stations (Beat, iRadio, Spin), then RTÉ shows would take a week here an there rather than in one full summer. I think Tubs contract had him on 40 - 50days holiday.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Advertisement