Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But they are not firing blanks because of a "defensive style". It's because they are playing poorly.

Not sure France have "been there done that". We all seem to make the mistake of thinking of them as all conquering but outside of 1 tournament 6 years ago their record isn't massively different to England's.

(Obviously winning a World Cup is massive before anyone points that out.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So I presume you have the same opinion of Denmark, Slovenia and Serbia considering they've only conceded 2.

The goal differences in the group go from England +1 to Serbia -1 with the other two at 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

There was actually a 3rd decision (leading to a 4th). Poland were originally not awarded a penalty when they should have been. VAR fixed that, and VAR also saw that Maignan has come off his line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I didn't see the Denmark game but there weren't put under a lot of pressure in the other two games. That'll change as the tournament progresses - especially if they wind up playing Netherlands in the next round.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We'll see but I'd expect them to beat the Dutch.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Hopefully. They’re still in it though and are on the easy side of the draw. Hopefully they’ll get the Netherlands who could put them out but they might get lucky and avoid them as well. They could dig in and get to the final again if they play Cole Palmer or put Foden in his natural position. Southgate might be regarded as negative or cautious but he’s already the most successful manager they’ve had since 1966. I hope they sack him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's amazing how tournament after tournament they never seem to learn.

Trying to fit players into a system who want to play the same position or who don't complement each other.

They need to make their midfield Rice - Mainioo or Wharton and Bellingham or Foden in the 10.
    Wide players need to be able to stretch the play or link up with a full back on that side to stretch teams that way.

They brought no natural fit left-back so Foden on the left is a non-starter as he wants to drift inside. So no width out on the left.
    Foden is then drifting into spaces that either Bellingham or Kane are moving into. They are all in there together with no runners ahead of them to pass to.

Same for Trent. He wants runners to be able to pick a pass from the back. Without that he is pointless in the team - who is he meant to pass to?

Southgate is picking his team on names and not thinking about how those players are meant to play together. If you have someone who gets on the ball and is good on the ball then you should also be looking to get him a runner he can link up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

When Jack Charlton asked Alf Ramsey why he picked him to play for England.

Ramsey replied "I don’t necessarily always pick the best players, Jack, I pick the best players to fit the pattern.”

Have England done that since? Maybe Euro 96 with Venables Christmas tree?

I know Southgate probably won't do it but could he go 5-3-1-1 with Saka playing left wing back? Wouldn't that fit most of them in?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah their current system also has Kane up top dropping deep into that 10 position as well so they've a huge overload of players trying to occupy the same position. Foden drifts inside as you say and Bellingham is already there so no width on the left and three players occupying the central attacking position. Simple and easy for defences to counter that by just packing the middle. The only joy England actually had attack wise last night was when they went wider which is telling.

It might work if Southgate was willing to start Watkins to play off the shoulder of the last striker for example but there's no way on earth he would even countenance not starting Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He won't countenance dropping Kane.

He won't countenance dropping Bellingham.

He won't countenance dropping Foden.

Three players all wanting to be in the same place and he won't drop any of them. And his selection of Alexander-Arnold tells me he doesn't actually recognise the issue.

Southgate is making an epic bollocks of the whole thing.

Southgate wishes he had a team of solid workhorses to pick from.

He doesn't know how to fit in all these skillful forwards and would never be able to bring himself to play the kind of balls to the wall football that would be needed for them all to play.

Italy will miss Calafiori v Switzerland, one of the best players in the competition so far, but yes as long as they’re still in it they’ll be dangerous because they have that tournament know how.

• Advertisement

Tbf that lad told us AC Milan were shoe-ins to win the champions league last year so take what they say with a pinch of salt. I do enjoy his posts though, he has a way with words😂

You're right, the first sub is always that second MF position beside Rice and given his comments re: Kalvin Phillips he's borderline obsessed with getting it right there and blind to the issues further up the field. It's quite enjoyable watching him make the same mistakes over and over again though I must say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It really is something when an international manager can't put the pieces together when he is looking at his players.

Why does he think Kane and Son worked so well together?
    Why does he think Trent had so much joy with Salah and Mane to aim at?
    Why does he think Bellingham has done so well at Real this season with Vini Jnr and Rodrygo ahead of him?

What do those 3 players seem to thrive on ahead of them? What does he then pick in his team?

Yes quite forthright in his opinions he said Inter had no chance v AC Milan the previous year because they were a splinter club from the original AC Milan over 100 years ago. He was as far out as a lighthouse but he’ll get it right as well as woefully wrong from time to time as well. It’s a fairly wide open tournament with some good teams. Several with a chance of winning it and a couple of dark horses as well.

Maybe a little unfair to directly compare France and England in the group, when you compare the FIFA seedings of the two groups

France      2     Netherlands    7    Austria     25        Poland      28

England     4     Denmark     21    Serbia      33        Slovenia    57

Also, despite that, (the statistic haters can turn away now) France also had an xG of over 6, while England's 3 matches at the tournament have produced an xG of 2.26. I don't think you can just turn it on in the knockout phase, if the underlying evidence isn't there.

• Advertisement

I have heard English pundits say "we have had poor group stages before and it's worked out fine"

Ah no it hasn't lads cause ye have won fuk all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

How about this for a tip from the Cork Evening Echo on Tuesday (I didn't see it until late last night!): Go for something big this evening and take Austria to win and a draw between Poland and France and Slovenia and England at 100/1

jaysis, would like to test my wits against this fella in my euros prediction league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Foden has temporarily left the England camp and returned home for a pressing family matter so maybe one tough decision will be taken out of Southgate's hands

There is a 100/1 tip for tonight too, not from the Echo. No goals and no cards in game between Slovakia and Romania.

This game either goes exactly like that, or some madman tried to upset everyone and score early !!!!!

that seems a big price. Has anyone checked it’s actually 100/1 because I think a 0-0 is 3/1 and a draw is actually the favourite outcome which is not normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This is the TinTin-inspired Belgian kit, for those of you wondering at the offbeat colour combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thanks for this - just popped on the match and found the kit immediately jarring. Was wondering wtf they were at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Must be painful for Hungary waiting around, looks like it will come down to the Czech game for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just another example of teams not wearing their traditional colours, even when no colour clash.

It appears that the pride in your nations colours are now gone, for the sake of shirt sales.

Hungary played in white in all 3 group games, instead of red. All their fans were wearing red.

Tradition? Who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

How is that a clear and obvious error? The foul was clearly outside and then there was a second touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hopefully Ukraine win now and other match stays same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Ukrainian player should have shot across the keeper, and if the keeper saves it, the Ukrainian player following in might have got the rebound.

They were the "home" team only for Match day 1, so could have played in red then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Surprised to see that considering the Tintin books are a little bit controversial these days.

I actually like the kit, think I'm in the minority there based on the Twitter reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow and you thought there couldnt be a match as bad as Slovenia v England but Uk/Bel said hold our beer

Commentator saying Belgium might be content with the draw.

Not sure about that, considering second in the group will play France in the top half and first in the group will likely play Slovenia in the bottom half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

looked like that after 10 minutes and im on the other match since, much better

• Advertisement

Their last change was also sky blue based on the highly successful Belgian cycling team. They essentially just swapped black shorts for brown for Tintin.

I really like it but mostly because it reminds me of another cycling jersey, the AG2R cycling kit from 2020.

Bloody hell, Shay and Kenny are such a hard listen in studio.

Shay somehow doesn't understand the idea of playing to avoid a tough team in the next round - yes Shay, you will have to play a tough team at some stage, but the fewer tough teams you have to face, the better your chances are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Imho countries should play in their normal colours unless there's a clash. But sure football has gone daft now regarding any tradition, if you'd told fans from 30yrs ago that Belgium would play in the Euros in a Tintin inspired kit instead of their red, they'd have told you to catch yourself on.

Such a huge chance for Ukraine there - all Vanat had to do was drop back a few yards to make the pass easy for Dovbyk, and he'd have been clean through with a half decent first touch. Instead for some mad reason he took himself out of the equation by moving closer to the line of the defenders.

This is looking like real heartbreak for Ukraine as things stand - likely going out with more points than most of the 3rd place finishers.

What a good run and chance for Ukraine, needed a better finish, straight at the keeper.

• Advertisement

Belgium were so negative. I feel a little sorry for Ukraine. They needed better finishing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That Uk/Bel match is anti football as you can get

imagine time wasting by Belgium is just embarrassing

So it looks like one of Romania, Slovenia, Turkey or Austria will make the Semis. What a chance for them all

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

Jaysus Kenny is having a mickey fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Coming out with some awful shite and rightly getting called on it by Given and Sadlier.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement