Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It seems that some posters aren't aware of the old saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". It is blind faith and being fooled by Sinn Fein.

They claim to have been fooled by manifestos and costings by FF and FG for 50 years before swapping at the last election to vote for Sinn Fein, yet they accept that Sinn Fein have no policies or costings. They are being fooled for the second time.

I would love to have a discussion on Sinn Fein policies and whether they are compatible with other parties, but finding an example of a Sinn Fein policy is like going after a needle in a haystack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Fooled by FF and FG who have managed to get Ireland into the position we are in today, yes we had a crash, the entire World had a crash and it wasn't as if ireland was the only one.

The advantages people have today is because of the people who went before us and the decisions made today. The governments of FF and FG of course played a part in that.

Gone now is the Irish people roaming the World trying to get work with no option to stay in Ireland for most, to people begging to get to Ireland, to come here and work. Some change, yet some would claim this is terrible

Meanwhile saying how great SF are who have achieved next to nothing since the GFA in Northern Ireland, in Ireland when they have got the chance at local government it has been a f**king disaster, nobody can claim it hasn't been. Yet we are supposed to believe multiple incoherent policies and multiple incorrect financial statements from the party means they have a plan and we should trust them?

If they can't even get an alternative budget right how could you expect them to get the real one right which is a lot more complex?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who accepted that SF had no costings or policies?

They do, you just don't agree with them but can manage to turn a blind eye as costings and policies go out the window in government.

How many Housing Plans have we now gathering dust? How many attempts to fix Health? How about one infrastructure project - the Childrens Hospital? How about their oversight of RTE? etc etc

P.S. I never read the FG manifesto on 'New Politics' - I listened to what their leader Enda Kenny and others 'said' about what they wanted and to their promises - they failed to deliver and I believe now it was a conscious effort to fool the electorate and to take advantage of their despondency.
    I have no problem saying I got fooled by that rhetoric. It won't happen again, SF or any other party get a chance, fail to deliver and that chance is gone. That's all I can do with my vote.

You will be told that in government Sinn Fein will have an army of civil servants to help and assist them in shaping the budget. This will be five minutes after you are told that one of the problems of the current government is that they listen to the civil servants too much and their advice.

Double-speak at its best.

So if the budget is a total balls up it wil the civil servants fault 😂

The excuse factory in SF is long and winding to come up for their incompetence. I had to laugh last year when they started making excuses for why they would achieve nothing in government when they hadn't even been elected yet, it "will take two terms" nonsense coming out online

The online mob lapping it up of course 🤣 baffling

• Advertisement

After over a decade in goverrnment we are constantly told issues cannot be fixed overnight.
    Is there a difference here? Because I can't see it.

https://hdr.undp.org/system/files/documents/global-report-document/hdr2023-24reporten.pdf

From 2015 to 2022, Ireland has gone up EIGHT places to seventh in the Human Development Index.

Pretty good going I would think. Second-highest increase in the top 40.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

The best way of measuring health outcomes and a health service is through life expectancy. Ireland is 11th in the world in life expectancy in 2022.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_homeless_population

Housing is a more difficult one to measure. We are only 40th in the world for homelessness. A few caveats though. Some of the countries above us - Vatican City, Liechenstein - can be discounted on the grounds of size. For others - Iran, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine, Brazil - the numbers are more than questionable. Germany, Austria, Netherlands, UK, USA, Sweden, Greece, Australia and France, all have bigger homelessness problems than Ireland.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/cache/digpub/housing/bloc-1a.html?lang=en

Other stats are also interesting, we have the highest proportion of houses versus apartments. We are among the highest for the number of rooms per person. We also are at the European average for home ownership.

Some people expect us to be at the top of the rankings for everything - that simply isn't possible for a small island on the edge of Europe.

The big issues mightn't be "fixed" in the way that some want, but they are pretty good compared to everyone else.

The real question though for this thread, and there is still not a single answer, is what are Sinn Fein going to do to make things better, other than "change".

• Advertisement

The real question though for this thread, and there is still not a single answer, is what are Sinn Fein going to do to make things better, other than "change".

If you refuse to see that no amount of looking over there is going to take attention away from the repeated failures here, then it is no surprise you don't want to move past what is an election slogan in the mould of many election slogans used here.

Like slogans themselves, your obsession with it is trite and cheap. Here's a few from the recent past, you can amuse yourself some more matching them to the party of origin:
    ‘A Future to Look Forward To’

‘An Ireland for all’

“A Better Deal For Families”

‘Let’s Keep the Recovery Going’ 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭pureza

Yes but most of the things captured by those slogans have happened to be fair

Even housing and many health outcomes are improving despite a regional shortage of builders and nurses that again to be fair,the supply of which has to compete with sunnier clime's and lower taxed regimes,the latter type of Regime not favoured by some opposition parties

I would dispute that, but even if true, the 'change' one won't be proven until that change takes place.

Fair's fair, no?

Well to be fair to you,if Sinn Féin in government is your goal,I'd hardly expect you to be highlighting economic and social improvements in the country at your every waking post here

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…err emm no there not, we re clearly still in serious trouble regarding major issues such as housing and health care, and these issues wont be solved after the next government, which is clearly gonna be ffg, and possibly indefinitely to, so ffg supporters have little or nothing to be worrying about….

The "change" mantra has failed. At a certain point, when things are improving, and people can see that, the imperative for "change" for changes sake drops, and people start to ask "what exact change?". That is the inflexion point we have reached. To date, Sinn Fein haven't been able to answer this question, hench the calamitous collapse in their poll ratings down to the level of votes received in the two elections.

"change" 😂 was it the Labour TD at the start of the last government who made a joke about how many times SF said "change" in their speech. They should have dumped it then but kept it going

As you say Change to what? when they dont know what the answer is then it's a bit pointless.

"We want change"

"Change to what"

"We don't know"

I suppose people able to get a good education, get a job, buy a house, raise a family in Ireland etc is a terrible thing to be able to do, so we want to change back to the good old days when everyone left Ireland

Ah here now,Ireland isn't for all ?

Families haven't a better deal than a decade ago ?

The recovery hasn't happened?

I'd challenge anyone to display those haven't

Nirvana it is not and of course it is the oppositions job to highlight the distance from nirvana it is

But theres a limit,theres always a limit to what an electorate see as realistic , unrealistic and reasonable under the circumstances

We got a dose of what that looks like at the EU and Co Co elections

Well, actually my stated goal is somebody other than FF or FG leading a government.
    SF represent the best chance of that change happening.
    It is my view that despite the pearl clutching denials, they have forced seismic change already - forcing a tacit merger (for a term of government) of the two. Change in the fact that the FF/FG vote share continues to fall.

We will see if they can force more change in the next GE, or the one after or the one after that. I would also remind you that I have never viewed the work of an opposition as redundant or lacking in the ability to change how a government behaves. Even if not in government that change can continue.

They have rearranged the deckchairs on a ship, no more than that. Whether the ship is on course, going to sink, Sinn Fein have had zero effect on the direction of the ship.

That you see seismic change as two parties forming a coalition (incidentally two parties you switched your vote between for 50 years and claim that there is no difference between them) which means nothing unless there is policy change. It is more like natural evolution than seismic change.

You are correct that the work of an opposition in general is not redundant, however, I would argue that the work of the opposition over the last few years has been completely redundant, lacking in options and just a shouty mess.

• Advertisement

They have rearranged the deckchairs on a ship, no more than that. Whether the ship is on course, going to sink, Sinn Fein have had zero effect on the direction of the ship.

That is just party political delusion tbh.
    Are you telling us FF and FG would have coalesced had SF not been there snapping at their heels?

That's laughable and not worthy of being remotely credible.

They'd have coalesced with other parties and themselves if Sinn Féin didn't exist but I'd agree with you that your party of choices toxicity in their view got them to do what was 10's of decades overdue

I'd actually like to see the day when they don't see Sinn Féin as toxic,that day is coming,never say never isn't a cliché

That day was the day of the election when Micheal opened the door.
    More delusion to pretend that didn't happen and that SF were 'toxic'.

It was nonsense then and now.

SF being lead party was 'toxic' to Micheal's Taoiseach ambitions.

Can't see FG going into government with SF in the next decade at least.

Are you saying FF'er's like SF more than they do FG? Now that would be wrong imho

I would agree though that Martin would have been open to an SF marriage if the Soc dems and labour and pbp went in…but you can bet your bottom dollar that while all the public posturing was going on,FF and FG were quietly contemplating their inevitable match as the only stable reliable option in town

Unfortunately that FF ship seems to have sailed now anyway unless SF polling markedly improves,failing that its going to be 2 elections before romance blossoms for SF on the coalition front,2029 perhaps ?

A lot of water to flow before then

FF and FG were quietly contemplating their inevitable match as the only stable reliable option in town

FF and FG were forced into contemplating a match because they were not prepared to risk another election and lose power completely.

To those of us who want the power to stop swapping between the pair of them that in itself was massive change not to mention a huge seismic milestone in he development of politics here.
    We'll see what the next one is. Maybe Simon will get them over the line again, but the collective damage will happen, of that I am sure.

I never disagreed that it was them togerher or another election

Its such a pity SF didn't go about the job of making themselves more electable decades prior to this

As for whether FF and SF will come together,the SF numbers will have to improve markedly,which they will

They're there now and a credible option in the cycle

This is pure nonsense now.

SF would be in government if not for Michael’s overweening desire to be Taoiseach.

Seems you don't know how an election works

It has nothing to do with FF why they didn't get into government, running around hand waving, although very amusing, is complete nonsense

One of the major reasons they didn't get in was because of……you guessed it……incompetence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Advertisement