Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond The Pale Festival - 10th-12th June - Glendalough

Options
1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Fanirish

well it’s a music festival firstly and you can bring your booze in. So I personally don’t get how draught beers is the make or break element but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭phizzledizzle

It's a music festival, not a beer festival.

Obviously having a variety of diverse beers is important to you but surely you must realise that's not that a make or break decision for most people. Yes I'd prefer having other options, but I'm also aware the fine margins these events run on, and exclusivity deals with brands are a big source of income. If BTP has to make these compromises to survive then so be it - I'd rather it stick around and provide some decent acts that I want to see on the rare occasion I actually get to go to a festival these days. That may change if I see a vape stage next year admittedly.

Anyway, some observations:

Yesterday was the easiest exit I've ever made from a festival; they opened up the barriers in the lower campsite allowing us to shortcut through the yurts, and then zero traffic on the way out. Couldn't have gone better.

Encountered zero pricks all weekend and didn't really have issues with security either - kept it to one can, with an occasional extra somehow finding its way into my hood. Cheers to @Van Doozy and the crew, I had a path bet to their stall by the end of the weekend.

If BTP was having trouble selling tickets then it wasn't apparent on the ground, both Saturday and Sunday were wedged for the latter part of the day.

Marc Rebillet and to a lesser extent Richie Hawtin should have been main stage, there was a big overflow outside the tent for both.

The sound system at Cirrus is incredible, although I do think they could elevate the stage and utilise the visuals a bit more.

The Kabin Crew workshop was a lovely wholesome start to Sunday, and GMC's experience with the kids clearly showed as he expertly handled some participants who were a little worse for wear.

I can only assume toilets, urinals and water stations cost more than most of us assume, as I can't understand why festivals consistently undersupply on that front. Fortunately the campsite wasn't too far a walk for the ladies in our group when things got exceptionally busy, and there was plenty of availability there.

The Bahay Midsummer Feast was definitely not worth the money.

Gilla Band continue to be the best band in Ireland/Europe/the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭RINO87

Walking out of a dark tent after Helena Hauff with the sun cutting the eyes out of you was an odd experience!!

Marc Ribellet.....the whole "sit on my face" bit, I assume this was all part of the act? I didn't know much about his live shows so said I'd give him a chance, but I thought that was nonsense and went on waaay too long so I legged it back up to David Holmes. Is that his usual schtick?

What happened the showers in the main camp site on Sunday? For what it's worth the showers in the van site were some of the best I've seen at a festival. Lots of room, hot and powerful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EndaGeorge

I fully agree with all the points made by Phizzledizzle above. I love a beer but I don't get why so many people are obsessed by it. You're there to enjoy the music and ultimately the beer is a delivery mechanism for the drug that helps you relax and forget your worries for a few hours.

I was chatting to a bloke who runs another boutique festival and the costs involved are tremendous - I think most people including myself would totally underestimate how much it costs to get some of the artists on the bill. So the festival has to try and recoup costs by having an exclusive beer option for one of the main brewers.

This was my first time going to a festival on my own and I must say I was somewhat apprehensive and was wondering if I'd be dying to get home by Sunday. I'm glad to say that it was the complete opposite. The people that camped beside me were some of the coolest people I've ever had the fortune to meet and I feel like I made genuine lasting friendships. Any time I ended up on my own, there was never a shortage of people to chat to - I've never been anywhere, where people were so friendly, open and generous. I think that the lack of phone coverage helped enormously with that and I hope that never changes. In fact festivals would be better without phones altogether IMO. When I went back to the campsite, there was always someone sitting around the fire pit up for a bit of divilment or just chewin the fat.

Nearly everyone I saw packing up yesterday left no trace of rubbish behind them. It was really easy to get out. And lastly shout out to the Gardaí who were sound and never bothered anyone at all as far as I could see. I know some people would prefer if they weren't there, but when you have that amount of people consuming a lot of drink & God knows what, their presence can be reassuring for others.

Musical highlights for me Halina Rice, 808 State, James Holden, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Thievery Corporation and the totally unexpected vibrancy & madness of Aindrias & the Latchikos in Strawberry Fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I was looking back through my own phone and I must have done the same 🤣 Here's the tiny snippet I took of the song. Shazam and SoundHound aren't picking up what it is. Hopefully someone knows it.

Also found a video of David Holmes playing The Beatles track Tomorrow Never Knows. What a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Landers11

Could not have aske for better weather for it. Got scalded with factor 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Dyaso

Would anyone know who the 2 lads DJ's who closed off sunday night in the beyond the plate tent/restaurant tent? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Conor_OM

Some weekend that was! Didn't know 95% of the lineup and yet every act I saw were unreal. They could have probably arranged the stage times and locations a bit better. Having The Scratch on that early and for such a small amount of time was criminal.

Could have done with more toilets and showers around the camping areas. More of an issue for my female friends.

The "free flow" policy was a little disappointing but the security guard mentioned that the alcohol sponsors are the one who pushed for it. A pouch of vodka under the bucket hat avoided this issue. Never encountered any strict searches at all and on several occasions went in with more than one can.

The food options were very good imo. Those dumplings were savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭endainoz

Just got a message from Bodhran dude to pass on to say he'll be back posting on this thread today with a review to follow soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mrkeviev

From that video it sounds like Holmes played Safe by Monkey Safari. Amazing tune!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyone notice that massive bird of prey circling around the place for much of the weekend? Probably a buzzard or kite.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Loads of Kites around the area these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Granite Head

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well just back from BTP went in camper with the mate up the Sally Gap and eventually Clare in then Galway over following day. Arrived on site on Tuesday and had some great parties with crew, some a mix of ATN, EP and Body & Soul crews. Mainly just worked at the staff accreditation car park which was fairly easy going on Wednesday ad Thursday. Over the weekend the crowd gathered was some of the nicest vibed-out people there and there was a lovely chill atmosphere about the place. Got to see Alvvays, 808 State (superb), Rival Consoles, Soulstice DJs, Trad Folkin' Rock at Puc Fada, Helena Hauff, Ritchie Hawtin, Jessie Ware, Orbital. Rachel Lavelle (Incredible), The Scratch, Courtney Bartnett. Thievery Corporation were amazing with four MC's/Singers and a full band weaving out the sound, the first twenty minutes of dubby reggae made up for the lack of a reggae act, they also had touches of Eastern and Bossa Nova vibes in their music. Will plough on over the next few days on the blog review, met a few boardsies, one in the big tent I think during Ritchie Hawtin, had just arrived so was catching my breath, I hope I didn't seem unsocial just struggling to get the oul breath back. Anyways a great week.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Some clips I've uploaded which I'll throw here as well as the blog.

Alvvays.

2ManyDJs.

Dug from Puc Fada.

Rival Consoles.

808 State.

Concluding some of the Friday clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

We did the bird walk and the lad said it was a kite.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Advertisement

Just started on my review just now so bare with me here, hopefully will have complete soon.

Edit: At the Ritchie Hawtin review but taking a break, having dinner and Glastonbury starting on BBC 2 at 7.30.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RangerToby

Seeing as I've broken my lurker status thought I'd also add thoughts on BTP.

It was our 1st time at this one in absence of B&S, though we were very tempted by 2023s spread, just not enough to do two fests back to back. It's a struggle when they are two weeks apart nowwere the wrong side of 40 😉.

All in all, We enjoyed, good spread and the vibe was indeed sound as a pound but its just seems a bit lacking in somthing, our conclusion, its lacking a soul. Perhaps this will come with time but I fear that if pushing capacity much more than 10/12k that's always lost. That or I'm just spoiled from years of going to smaller sub 10 or even sub 5k festivals.

Personally I did enjoy a festival with a slightly heaver lean on the EDM range that did still have actual artists not just endless dj sets. But this is not uncommon on the festival scene and thus not enough to make me jump on early bird tickets which I see are coming out next Friday.

Ovreall: Solid line up, not great for musical discoveries or unknowns, feels very 'off the shelf' but we did have a good time, genral vibe chilled no agro or sketchyness. From looking at past years Vs this the overall Arts program was improved it seems which we do like to take time time away from stages on.

My blog review I hope you like it. Still a small bit to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭phizzledizzle

13th to the 15th of June next year. Won't clash with whatever Body and Soul are planning for the following week.

I stumbled across this artice about Sound Crowd this evening. Their song Dream Lover is one of my favourite ever songs. Mad that David Holmes was their number 1 remixer, back in Aug 1994, a mental 30 years ago 😶 What a fuckin legend!

https://909originals.com/2022/06/24/at-the-end-of-the-day-this-is-rock-and-roll-again-sound-crowds-tim-hannigan-talks-to-dside-august-1994/

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Had a great weekend at BTP.

Advertisement