Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PJ - Marlay Park - Sat 22 June 24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They did run out of the cardboard trays though

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Kilteragh

And I felt not an ounce of shame pulling one out the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

I went to one bar and was told they had no beer left. They were still serving pints 45 mins later at another bar

I stand corrected!

Sounds like a bit of both so.

Unforgivable to run out of beer at a gig. Really hard to get that wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Pity I only found out after the pints were in front of me, was a fun walk to my mates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Many years from now the real Pearl Jam fans won't be judged on how many times they saw them live, or how many years of 10 club membership they had... but on whether or not they were there the day we had to carry 4 pints of Heineken without cardboard holders through the crowds in Marley.

They'll prob do a song about it and call it 'Heroes' or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Write up on the Manchester show…

https://www.theguardian.com/music/article/2024/jun/26/pearl-jam-review-coop-live-manchester-tottenham-stadium#comments

My favourite comment…

"Barklikeapuppy2 hours ago5

The Dublin show on Saturday was shockingly good. Sorry we broke Eddie for everyone though"

😂

btw - the people on the pearl jam fan forum are a tad sensitive about what is or is not a good show based on setlists - it's very weird - it's like PJ should tailor everything to the 100 odd people who travel around the world with them and not the 40 odd thousand who haven't seen them in 14 years! That Marlay Park show will go down as absolutely legendary - it will be very hard to top. Amazing night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The setlist for Dublin was amazing but the 10 Club fans on Facebook didn't agree. I couldn't care less!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I'd be in the camp of I'd have preferred more deeper cuts, but christ it was one of most fun times I've seen them. Fantastic day, would gladly take it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

They all want the white whales and rarities. A setlist full of songs nobody really knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Yeah, fûck that! Seen them quite a few times over the years and I definitely enjoyed this time the most by far

I'm still buzzing after Saturday. Gutted it's in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I was always big into music but over the last couple of years have left it slide for various reasons. My son boughte pearl jam tickets because I always loved them. I thanked him on Sunday for not only letting me be at an amazing gig but also reigniting my love of music. Listened to at least 2 albums a day since ......all PJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

First gig I've been to in god knows how long; reignited my love for music as well.

Even took out the old guitar today - been months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They were grumbling about the Dublin setlist being a festival type greatest hits setlist.😁

There are two types of people in this world - the ones who grumble about the Dublin setlist being a festival type greatest hits setlist, and the ones who rejoice in the Dublin setlist being a festival type greatest hits setlist.

Joking aside, there's way way way more to your experience of a gig than a set list on paper. The PJ gig in Dublin had an emotional level and connection to and with the crowd that wasn't there in Manchester. Depends on what you're looking for. I've been to a lot of PJ gigs over the years, and the Marlay Park one was in my top 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Marlay Park setlist was exactly what you deliver in a city you've not visited for fourteen years.

A friend alerted me to the forum comments the day after the show. Moaning about the same old songs being played, saying it was more like a festival set; these are some of the most ludicrous things I've ever read. As has been said, if you weren't there, you're not in a position to judge. 40,000 people went home happy. You can't feel that atmosphere through your computer screen on the other side of the world. They haven't been in Ireland for years. I can guarantee that nobody on this island is "fed up with them playing Jeremy."

Also, while some might consider them over-played, doing twelve songs from the first three albums is how you get a crowd on board, especially after a long absence. That's half the set, so even if you were a fairweather fan who drifted away after Vitalogy, you'd still know fifty percent of the show. So, in that way, the setlist is catering to everyone, and, as such, was perfectly structured.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Also, while some might consider them over-played, doing twelve songs from the first three albums is how you get a crowd on board, especially after a long absence. That's half the set, so even if you were a fairweather fan who drifted away after Vitalogy, you'd still know fifty percent of the show. So, in that way, the setlist is catering to everyone, and, as such, was perfectly structured.

well said, and i dare say that description would encompass the majority of the 40,000 that were at marley park.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Europe is a bit of a curse for poor Eddie

A few glasses of red wine and his best mate Glen Hansard should sort him out

Roll on Madcool this day 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭893bet

if they hadn’t played Jeremy I’d have been gutted. Looking at the set lists coming up to the gig I half dreading it think I wouldn’t know 30 percent of it.

They played their biggest and best thank god. Not really listed to the stuff released in the last 20 years, does that make me fair weather or just someone who drifted away when I left my teen years.

hearing the songs from Dark matter live definitely made me appreciate the songs more than I had when listening to it in preparation for the gig. I have listened to the album twice since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

https://x.com/pearljam/status/1806651310122664235?s=46&t=B572YcHIJ_4FBUfBDqbeUQ

London gig cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Didn't Springsteen cancel a gig about a week after playing here too? The Curse of Dublin …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Red Hot Chili Peppers and Guns n Roses both did in 2022 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The **** is in the water of the fancy Dublin hotels ha

Happened in London in 2018 too, so happy I got to see them the first night before they rescheduled. Green Day playing Wembley the same night so that will get a boost in sales you'd imagine

Advertisement