Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭swoofer

clo clo stand by i'll try and do a step by step as the evening progresses, you need to configure ABM and hide sections, I use SKY UK London HD and saorview. I dont mess with ROI or Freesat.

Cant find that skin on 6.5 will look on other box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Clo Clo is on 6.2 and not 6.5 and maybe update image to a newer version?

OK clo clo I got that skin on 6.2 and here are the pics to show you how to configure ABM green to save then do rest as per the pics and then scan.

go menu setup tuners ABM configure , so as pic, green to save, then go to providers and as pic, then hide sections, save, then go scan and with abit of luck your back,

Post edited by swoofer on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

@swoofer you sir are a legend I was missing the step “ now press menu and see 1 set as start up, select it.” all will be happy in the universe I must have already deleted the favourite bouquet but the custom one appears to be working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I'd be wary of using the SSD for timeshift, particularly less expensive ones. With timeshift, the continuous writing to the disk could wear it out. (Recent high end SSD's have very high durability and it shouldn't be a problem with those.) I no longer use a satellite receiver, but if I was using one with an SSD, I'd use a separate drive, or cheap USB stick, for timeshift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

It's a decent SSD - Crucial Mx500.
    I would have thought a USB stick (under the same load) was way more likely to fail over time compared to an SSD.

I guess SSD may be overkill but it was a spare one I had

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

SSD is the best choice IMO.

Yes traditional disk drive is technically a better choice what with no perceived write cycle restrictions and certainly fast enough for anything, but unfortunately I found that a traditional spin disk drive creates very audible vibrations in the internal bay. I couldn't live with that.

Also those write cycle restrictions are really just perceived. By the time any such limits are reached your zgemma will be long gone anyway.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Agreed. I have an SSD that is at least 8 years old in one box and still working perfectly. The box is more likely to die before an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭boardz

Not sure if this post is allowed but I bought a zgemma H7S 4K in February fully loaded and is connected to saorview aerial and small dish. Working perfectly fine viewing/recording etc but we are moving in the next couple of week to an apartment and they don’t allow dishes so selling all three items - Zgemma, aerial and dish. Of interest to this forum would be the zgemma I suppose. I also bought a remote from amazon based on a comment that it had a better response than the original and that is included with the zgemma. I’m selling it for €100 including the manual. Screenshots of the image used is below. Pm if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I seem to have lost now 60s or is it that's 60s turned to that's memories, anyone else.

Post edited by SCOOP 64 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

Change happened on July 1

That’s 60s (Sky channel 360) is replaced by That’s Memories. That’s Memories on Freeview channel 71, Freely 42 is due to go live. It is currently not clear what will appear on the current That’s 60s channel slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭redoctober

Hi there,

My box crashed a couple of days ago and since then i can't get hard drive working. In my folders just a usb i use for epg/ backup is showing. When i go into storage i can see the hdd. Thanks

do you know the image version and skin and is it version with ssd sticking out?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭PJtharsaile

Can anyone point me to a list of OpenViX plugins with at least a one line description of what each does? Or, failing that, what are your "must haves"?

I'm surprised that there's no onscreen display as you browse these to indicate a bit more about what they do, with a URL perhaps. Asking because I've installed a couple that didn't do what I expected (indeed didn't appear to do anything) — I'm not sure if they're "legacy" items that no longer work — and in a few cases it's a case of "guess what this is"?

Post edited by PJtharsaile on

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Recently, I upgraded from OpenATV 6.4 to OpenATV 7.4. Deadeasy via online flashing tool.

But for some reason some EPG entries aren't working anymore. Mainly the 'cheap' channels like GREAT! and CNN. I tried a lot like deleting CrossEPG data files but no joy.

Also, the FOOD channels seem to be gone (as in no broadcast)

Any ideas to get them back? Thanks

Why did you update to 7.4 as its not stable in fact they have moved to 7.5. Did you make a backup of 6.4? It may appear easy to upgrade but did you follow the onscreen prompts correctly?

To get the channels back you would need to run ABM but needs configuring. Can you go back to 6.4?

Re the plugins you need to tell me a bit more like the verions of the vix you are using? with VIX it will come with all the usual plugins installed and they will only need adding to for a specific purpose. PLUGINS is the generic term as it covers a multitude, like drivers, picons, settings, skins, extensions, languages, softcams, sytemplugins and so forth so for 28 east you should need nothing. but to give an example, say you want to add a usb dtt tuner then you would need to go to plugins to add the correct driver, or say you wanted to use IPTV you would add a pluigin like XCplugin, in other words you need to know what you need in the first place. say what you are tryig to acheive and i'll see if i can help.

hi Swoofer, thanks for answering!

I am not running Vix but OpenATV. The online tool I think didn't give me an option for openatv 7.5.

It's easy for me to go back to version 6.4 as it's still there, in a different partition. My plugins are completely standard, the only thing I installed is CrossEPG. I don't run any IPTV. I just want a like for like upgrade to 7.5. I only have free to air channels (terrestial and 28.2 Astra).

When I run the upgrade script from Online Flashing, I skip Backup (it errors when I select that) and select a new boot partition and select 7.4 image. It downloads and on reboot does some conversion for a minute (i suspect it's copying/downloading old config and new plugin versions)

The boucquets seems largely the same as what i had but strangely enough slightly older, i manually had to change my boucquets to the 6.4 version with the OpenwebIF boucquets editor.

plugins

Apologies, I upgraded from OpenViX 6.4.011 to 6.6.003. I hadn't really bothered with plugins up to now, but was aware of many things I hadn't a clue about under the Plugins menu, that is extensions, not things like skins and picons, and I tried to figure some out.

Your instance of XCplugin illustrates my point somewhat. It's got a subtitle as "plugin for the free streaming". This might immediately mean IP streaming to you, and I might well guess it, but it would not to everyone.

Not far away on the same page we have a plugin called vierg, another called xpower. I have no idea what these do. I can't make an informed decision whether they might be useful. xmodem rings a bell (or did once, but what's it doing here?). vlcplayer is something else I recognise. Searching on "enigma2 plugin vlcplayer" yields no README information https://github.com/opendreambox/enigma2-plugin-vlcplayer and a purpose I can't imagine—unless from here should read "via"? Yes, I can and probably will try that.

I found myself putting the names of some extensions into a web search and not finding much useful information, and tbh I wasn't impressed at having to do so. I'd like to think I have simply overlooked a resource and that this isn't the best way to discover their purpose. After all, some conscious decisions must have been made about what to include. Have I? I appreciate the offer of help, thanks! In the short term the main thing I'm looking for is an IP server plugin, but in general I would like to see better information readily available with the extensions.

My best advice is don't upgrade to either 7.4 is or 7.5 7.5 is in beta ie testing. Crossepg is causing problems. 7.3 is OK BUT believe it or not 6.4 is the most stable.

The best image for the Zgemma is Openvix 6.5 and you get all you need with it. You should flash it to a spare partition but set it up from scratch. Once set up, you configure ABM, download, then configure EPG use openepg, run it. Then I use vix blue skin but if you want that sky look the skins are in the feeds ie plugins. You dont need cross epg with vix.

I never upgrade just for the sake of it, you should only upgrade if there is a plugin you need and the feeds have been switched off for the version you are using. If it aint broke etc.

Great, I didn't understand you were answering someone else and I actually looked back! sorry.

Anyway, I think I know what's going on with my problem but don't know how to solve it yet: it seems the settings in CrossEPG go back to the default which is No scheduled downloads. i.e. it doesn't save the CrossEPG settings after changing them. There is no Save button.

Is there a config file on the disk I can edit manually? Maybe the file permissions are incorrect?

• Advertisement

wcool when developers jump from 7.4 to 7.5 there is usually a reason, 7.4 is buggy and they cant be bothered to fix it, crossepg is a good example if you give me a good reason why you want openatv instead of Vix i may have a link for developers but …

my post 2344 shows how to configure abm.

I checked 7.3 and crossepg is version 0.9 and on 6.4 its 0.6. What you could try is remove it and download again and check version

Post edited by swoofer on

No specific reason I use OpenATV. Somewhere 13 years ago I got the Amiko Alien and installed OpenATV. I like the Metrix skin.

I thought the different distributions of enigma2 were largely the same? Well I hope they share code!

Wouldn't mind trying Vix though I am not sure I can flash it alongside OpenATV from OpenATV.

Another option would be to ditch CrossEPG and try another EPG plugin, but I don't know any good ones.

In the mean time, I will try to find OpenATV 7.5

Post edited by Wcool on

Well, I cleanly installed OpenATV 7.4, not 7.5 as it is a developer version still.

I installed CrossEPG but infuriatingly it still doesn't save the settings when I change them. Do I miss something?

These are the original settings:

I then change to this:

But when I press OK (green button) it's back to the first picture when I reselect the same menu!!!!

Note I do have /media/hdd mounted rw:

mount command output

/dev/sda1 on /media/hdd type ext4 (rw,relatime,data=ordered)

Anybody any idea??

I have been away, but you have a glitch in Crossepg that I have not seen before when you change schedule download to once a day you should get a second line showing the time you want it to download. Here is a pic

I am using the 29 June image and if you go to flash online u will see quite a few versions, note the dates and then while there press yellow button and you will see 7 different images go to vix and use 6.5 don't use 6.6 but first go back and see which version of 7.3 you are using, menu information about if its 29 June then its your box . You can remove the plugin and download again but only after a hard reboot. ie white button. If you are not on latest 7.3 flash it.

When you decide to flash vix put it on a new partition and do as a clean install do not use settings from openatv.

They have croos epg on vix as well but you wont need it. If you stick with openatv you can use epgimporter instead.

If you flash 6.6 I dont want to know.

If you are confused just say so. You may have gleaned I have more than one box.

PJtharsaile, you are on the wrong track, these are enigma 2 boxes and you should only use a plugin when you know what it will do, it not a case of looking and seeing if one matches your needs. Say you would like to test the BB speed on your box then you would ask on a forum that supports the image or the box. In this instance. The plugin is under extensions and called netspeedtest(2.1.4).

What do you mean by an IP- server plugin and I may be able to help!

This is the vierg plugin

https://www.4-gewinnt.de/

Thanks Swoofer,

Is there a single master repository for CrossEPG plugin? It's confusing as I see a version that looks like the original repo on Github that hasn't changed in years. Very hard to find the source code for my version which is 0.91:

root@zgemmah7:/# opkg list-installed | grep -i crossepg
    enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-crossepg - 0.9.1+gitr558+7e763380+7e76338c8d-r4

I will look into flashing OpenVix. Not sure yet how to do that from OpenATV without losing OpenATV 6.4

And last, hopefully a quick question: what does epgimporter do? Is it just similar to CrossEPG?

I dont know how you got version 0.9.1!! Can you just remove it then go to plugins and downlaod 0.9.0 as thats the one available.

To remove go plugins, red button, then select croos it will be in system plugins, press green and it should delete it but go back in check just in case.

All you need do is put epg as hdd and use open etc

Yes epg importer same as cross when you open it you press blue for sources then go to last page and select rytec uk and put a tick againss all 3 uk, green then manual and it will download epg.

I was assuming you have spare slots I always use PIP mode

"You should only use a plugin when you know what it will do, it not a case of looking and seeing if one matches your needs. Say you would like to test the BB speed on your box then you would ask on a forum that supports the image or the box. In this instance. The plugin is under extensions and called netspeedtest(2.1.4)."

I wouldn't dream of using a plugin without knowing something about it, which was the point of my question. I don't believe I should have to ask "What does this do?" in an online forum in order to discover what's possible. It's not the approach taken for any other software repository I've used to date, whether applications or plugins/extensions. And it's not the approach taken for many Enigam2 plugins/extensions which DO indicate their purpose, either in the name or in a subtitle. Many, however, do not.

"What do you mean by an IP- server plugin and I may be able to help! "

Thanks. A difference between OpenATV and OpenViX that I'm aware of — a potential consideration in deciding which to use — is that the former supports IP streaming to client devices. Currently my ZGemma H7S is in a location with only one satellite connection available and installing another there isn't practical, but I do have wired Ethernet in place. If the device was able to function as an IP server I could look at moving it to the attic and installing, say, a raspberry pi running Minisat IP streaming software or something similar. (I already have one in place acting as a Kodi client for a LibreElec based PVR).

"This is the vierg plugin"

This appears to be a game of some kind and even to discover this I had to spend time clicking on a dozen denials of collecting data on grounds of "legitimate interest". What this is doing in an Enigma2 repository beats me—if the link is what it's supposed to be. The word "game" (or spiel for that matter) in the name or the subtitle would have save us the time spent discussing it. I wonder how you discovered what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Just for clarity - both OpenATV and OpenVix will happily support IP streaming to a client. There is an enigma2 plugin for Kodi which will make this happen on the Pi. There are also android/iOS apps, or you can use WebIF.

I think you might be getting some of the terminology mixed up? Vix is often recommended for use on enigma2 boxes which have no satellite or aerial connection available. This is because it offers an easily selectable 'client mode'. Note - this doesn't do anything OpenATV can't, but it streamlines the process.

There's also tuner fallbacks. This is where you might have 2 boxes in the house, one of which might have only a single satellite feed. If that box tries to access two different satellite channels at the same time (on different transponders), it can't. However, if fallback is set up, it can ask another box on your network to 'borrow' one of its feeds (if it has one free). That way the box can access the second channel using your network connection to the other box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eam77

Hi, can anyone help me here please. Don't know what is going on. Happens with all plugin downloads

Advertisement