Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else feel ashamed of getting the Covid shots?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Ha ha haaaaaa….you are easily fooled. So, natural immunity only kicked in for Omnicron….do go on…what's the science behind that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

So no coherent response to my post then? you are hanging your hat on (misinterpreting) a single interview with a single doctor in the early days of the pandemic, no response to the scientific study carried out after the fact.

Replying with gibberish to try to hide that fact that you don't really have a response is weak and fairly transparent.

What are you on about?? The beginning of the pandemic, Omnicron ended the restrictions in this country!!

I know what mild means, I'm not going to get into a ridiculous argument….the doctor who discovered the new variant told us it was mild….you have provided evidence that Omnicron was mild….do you realize that?

Now, tell us about the natural immunity? Was there any natural immunity in the population after the first wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,074 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope they didnt. This is the fake news strategy of repeating the same lie often enough to try to make it stick.

I linked the BBC article and they didnt say that. The only ridiculous argument is repeating your claim when it has been discredited by multiple posters and the actual source.

You just admitted few posts back vaccination was important to protect us from the worst of Omicron. So in the context of this thread, zero reason to be ashamed of getting vaccinated. A

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Why are you arguing with me, we are in agreement. Omnicron was mild.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/safrican-doctor-says-patients-with-omicron-variant-have-very-mild-symptoms-2021-11-28/

• Advertisement

In the article you cited the doctor had seen a handful of patients mostly not in vulnerable categories. Nowhere does she state it to be mild. Nowhere. Anybody who can read can see that you are engaged in deliberate misrepresentation.

Nowhere does she state any predictions as to its general impact on population as a whole.

If you continue to peddle fake news it will continue to be challenged.

We are not in agreement.

Your tactics at this stage appear to consist of putting words into other posters mouths or eg the SA Doctor. Words that were not said. Speaks volumes you are unable to mount an argument on its own merits or support it with direct citation from articles or evidence. Just misrepresentation.

You are claiming the BBC and Reuters, and breaking news ( https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/uk-panicking-unnecessarily-over-omicron-doctor-who-found-variant-says-1220267.html ) of peddling fake news…I will include a quote -

“What we are seeing clinically in South Africa, and remember I’m at the epicentre – that’s where I’m practising – it’s extremely mild. For us, that’s mild cases,” she said.

Asked on the BBC’s The Andrew Marr Show if the UK was “panicking unnecessarily”, she said: “I think you already have it there in your country and you’re not knowing it, and I would say, yes, at this stage I would say definitely.

Bear in mind we were imposing much heavier restrictions than SA or Britain and we had the highest rate of vaccination than both…but at the time, you couldn't get a coffee in a cafe without proving proof of vaccination.

You are accusing me of peddling fake news and yet you agree with the articles and me…you just seem to have a dogmatic view on the meaning of mild. Bizarre stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ok, I am going to jump in here. Don't be a smartarse. The 'scientists' also use the word 'mild' as I explained a few days ago.

For example. Google "milder Omicron", this is my first search return…

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-things-to-know-omicron

So far, Omicron strains have tended to be mostly mild, causing a runny nose, sore throat, and other cold-like symptoms, as opposed to lower respiratory tract symptoms.

============

We know the point you are trying to make (by copying Odyssey - milder but not mild) but don't be arrogant.

"Learn to read"…I'll my hurl to you ya pup!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Yep you are repeatedly peddling fake news about covid.

Did you read the full article you posted. This is what it also says:

"Two weeks from now maybe we will say something different.”

And from the interview with Andrew Marr:

Dr Angelique Coetzee, the South African doctor who first spotted the new Covid variant Omicron, says the patients seen so far have had "extremely mild symptoms" - but more time is needed before we know the seriousness of the disease for vulnerable people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-59450988

So nowhere does it state without qualification that it will be mild. Thats a response to a small number of cases seen, mostly younger people. It is not in any way a full assessment of the variant and the BBC article makes that clear.

The doctor thinks restrictions are premature but equally public health bodies looked at that and reasonably concluded in two weeks it would be too late to have restrictions. It would be closing the stable door after horse bolted. Precautionary principle.

The article also says, information from South Africa:

Asked if young unvaccinated people are ending up in hospital with the new variant in South Africa, Dr Phaahla said: “Yes. Younger, unvaccinated people … 65 per cent of those they’ve admitted, who are mainly younger people, are actually those who are unvaccinated.”

So there we have it from another source, on the benefits of vaccination even for younger people, even versus Omicron. Even in South Africa.

From the outset the HSE messaging was clear that most cases of covid would be mild. It is there from Spring 2020. Leo says it in his speech announcing lockdown. Most cases wil be mild.

Thats not the same thing as saying the virus in its total impact will be mild.

• Advertisement

I know. I get it. And I agree. I also provided links that said the same thing - milder but not mild.

I just don't like people being rude. It's worse than Covid.

Of course I read the article. Two weeks from now, things could be different, but they weren't. Omnicron was mild, in a country with low vaccinations and very little restrictions, we had a very high vaccination rate and severe restrictions. When Omnicron reached here, it was mild. For about the 10th time, Omnicron was mild (we have agreed this)…

Jesus, it's like talking to a child here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

Is there a very particular reason for the N95 and Socially Distancing still?

That's a major inconvenience.

I've caught Covid twice, the first lasted a few days, mainly just tiredness, and the second was a day of a cough, but it was around Christmas. The only reason I even tested was because a few of my friends/girlfriends were pregnant and I didn't want to be in close quarters with them.

All in, I'd take having Covid twice as opposed to an N95 and social distancing forever more.

No, we are not in agreement.

Here's a post below from this evening where I state: "We are not in agreement."

You would think that's a pretty simple statement to understand, rather difficult for anyone to misinterpret, read in good faith.

You said: "Jesus, it's like talking to a child here."

I think readers of the thread can form their own opinions on that statement at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Again you are basing your whole argument on an interview with a single doctor in November 2021, here is what a study published in June 2023, when more data was available, actually said:

The study concluded that the newer strains of SARS-CoV-2 have potential of high transmissibility and milder disease for the population by large, however, for patients with comorbidities have a higher proportion of adverse outcomes, irrespective of the variant.

You can take your point in time, misinterpretation of a single interview, or you could look at the measured studies.

Oh and by the way, it is pathetic trying to make an argument by saying I said something I did not. You are just digging a deeper hole for yourself.

This is getting really tiresome now.

The doctor who discovered the variant said it was mild. We experienced a mild impact when it got here. It was Omnicron that eventually led to the dropping of all restrictions here in Jan 2022.

I am basing my "argument" in reality. If we had experienced a much different impact of Omnicron, then what the doctor said would be irrelevant, but we didn't we experienced a mild impact. Just like SA AND they had a much lower vaccination rate and very little restrictions.

Trying to argue that Omnicron wasn't mild is what an idiot would do…and idiots have a tendency to keep digging.

OK, sorry to misrepresent you, you believe Omnicron was much more severe than I do. Let's knock this on the head, it's bloody boring!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

From https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(24)00018-3/fulltext

“There were variations in the CFRs among different variants of COVID-19 (Alpha: 2.62%, Beta: 4.19%, Gamma: 3.60%, Delta: 2.01%, Omicron: 0.70%), …”

it would appear that Omicron was 3x and 6x less deadly than Delta and Beta, respectively. At the same time it was probably 2x more deadly than a regular influenza.

“Studies found that the Omicron variant was more prone to reinfect individuals with a prior natural infection, suggesting a diminished immune response after infection or vaccination [22]. Additionally, omicron's severity was believed to be lower due to reduced syncytia formation and lower multiplication in human lung tissue [23].”

This would be in line with what I remember - lots of people had Omicron yet the hospitals were far from being under pressure.

According to those figures Omicron was certainly the mildest of all strains on record thus far.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

The CFR is only one half of the equation. The number of cases is a factor in how that translates into hospitalization \ severe cases. Omicron was far more transmissible than flu, that multiplies how deadly it is beyond a doubling in CFR.

From the same article:

With more mutations, including previously unidentified ones, Omicron stands as the SARS-CoV-2 lineage with the highest infectivity [21]. Studies found that the Omicron variant was more prone to reinfect individuals with a prior natural infection.

And also, given the context of this thread:

This study indicated a negative correlation between pooled CFR and full-vaccination coverage. Despite ongoing mutations conferring immune evasiveness to the COVID-19 virus, vaccine administration remains consistently regarded as a cost-effective approach to mitigating the disease burden caused by SARS-CoV-2.

Stressing the importance of vaccination, even versus Omicron, at protecting against severe outcomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think you misunderstood my post or are replying to someone else .

Of course that's not what I said .

I was replying to your first few lines which said GPs did not get the shots themselves ....

Replying to @ Frumy who I see is now threadbanned so edited my post ..and quotation not working again .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Worth mentioning how much more infectious Covid is than flu, and later variants more infectious than the original variant.

• The reproductive number, R0 (pronounced R naught), is a value that describes how contagious a disease is. For the flu, the R0 tends to be between 1 and 2, which means that for every person infected with the flu, they will infect one to two more people. For the original COVID-19 variant, the R0 is higher than the flu, between 2 and 3. 
    • Between July and December 2021, more than 97% of sequenced samples in Virginia have been identified as the Delta variant. Delta is more than twice as contagious as previous variants of COVID-19, with an R0 that is estimated to be between 5-7.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/2022/01/07/covid-19-and-influenza-surveillance/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭nachouser

….

Post edited by nachouser on

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

This isn't miracle Max and mostly dead. Covid was mostly mild for most, still very deadly for millions (even with modern medicine, controls and vaccines)

Mostly mild still isn't mild.

We've had 4 years of deniers and anti-vaccine nutjobs thinking that their Facebook post was the "truth" at tge Altar of Wakefield (may that prick burn). 4 years and people needlessly dead because of the actions of these people.

Had it been pure Darwinism, fine, but they cost others their life.

**** being nice with these ignorant, idiotic, and selfish people

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

No excuses/deflection. Just don't be rude or arrogant when making a point. Please apologise to the poster for the "learn to read" quip.

🤣Not happening, they're at best misreading and at worst misrepresenting.

We've accomodated them for 4 years, been polite, and tried to reason with people like that. They are still emboldened because of people, like yourself, not calling out their lies

Mild ≠ Milder.

That includes "mild in relation to" and "mostly mild" and "mild for most"

Is that easy for you to comprehend also?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stop waffling. I made all these points days ago. Behave yourself ya pup and apologise for being rude.

Yeah totally. Nothing do do with boards interaction with mobile keyboards.

Is that the best you've got?

Stop enabling anti-vaccination

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Was avoiding this thread but lo and behold thus type of post ...

Been explained before , that people who are immunosuppressed are at increased risk of infection despite vaccination , and while maybe less risk of death , could become very ill on top of say , cancer or renal disease or severe respiratory disease or diabetes ....

So with so many people not even considering Covid now or testing ,people who fall into these categories are still at risk. And more so as the people they are interacting with may not be aware they might have it .

Don't know if that applies to the poster you are asking the question of , but it is really nobody 's business why another person wears a mask or takes care of themselves and a bit ignorant to imply it is due to mental health issues , just because you cannot imagine why another person would need to" take care " .

I am 100% serious too btw .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I was thinking that funny enough you know, but I thought if that was the case surely they would have mentioned. And if it was nobody's business then maybe they shouldn't put it on a message board. Again this wasnt me point scoring but of course there had to be someone angered on someone else's behalf and start an argument…

Anyway not getting into a spitting match over this. Just leave it alone…

Advertisement