Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'd be delighted if they both kick on. It's hard to gauge the sizes. I'm just going by the bios on the Leinster site. I would say that McCarthy could put on 10 kg's easily and lose agility. I hope I am wrong about Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

i have another counterpoint.

Rugby coaches value potential top end impact in knockout games more than people on messageboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

And?

He's very clearly not that weight as he's heavier and lleinster profiles have been known for being slow to be updated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

”Potential” is doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence.

The RGS experience down with you guys would have knocked enormous amounts off his value. He was injured again when he signed his Leinster deal. If he’s going for a medical with some other club, they’re taking a risk signing him for big money.

People who want to believe that Leinster have all the advantages and get all the preferential treatment from IRFU will not listen to anything that conflicts with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don't remember you sniping with the same sort of comments as this when it was claimed and universally accepted that Snyman's second deal with Munster was at a discount rate than the original.

The exact same logic of the 'normal economics of rugby' that led to people accepting Munster paid less for him stands now when it comes to Leinster, with Snyman having picked up an even longer list of serious injuries since his last deal.

Only thing that has changed is the name of the province involved, which is clearly more than enough for some with an 'obsession' to start whining about it because it involves Leinster.

Love that despite another trophyless season, Leinster and their fans still live rent free in so many heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Reported

I see all sorts of sh*te reported in the media

Do you think the Stormers offered him 550k sterling?

Snyman is a injury liability, from a Bath point of view they have a limited budget, have to be very wise on how to spend it. Do you really think they would splash out a huge part of it on a player who might not play any games during the season? with an injury record that is awful.

Also didnt stormers just let go a whole loads of players?

Are you a closet Leinster fan? come on out and I will buy you a pint of hinomite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭theVersatile

To be fair to UlsterU20s, while I disapprove of the tone of his post, I'd agree with his overall point that there is this weird tendency for folks on here (I wouldn't go as far as saying "the media" too like UU20s) to downplay salaries. It's probably a bit of defensiveness from the whole "Leinster salaries" discussions from before, but its still a bit odd.

Lets not kid ourselves, Snyman and Barrett are on serious packages. We had somebody claim earlier that Leinster did not spend a fortune on Barrett, which is nonsense. He's on less than he would've made in Japan (which would've been seven figures), that much has been reported - but lets not joke around and say that he isn't on a hefty wage. He's definitely on a mid-six figures salary (the financial brunt of which is mitigated by the fact that he's only here for half a season, so is effectively getting half a year's salary, but I'd still be surprised if it wasn't a decent big bigger than what Ngatai was on).

The same with Snyman - he's a World Cup winner and a freak athlete. He knows his value, he isn't going to take cents on the euro to stay and play with Leinster. If he wants to stay in Ireland - fair - but his agent isn't a fool, he's still going to get a deal which is best for RG. That I imagine would easily clear 250/300k for the season. I don't doubt he's on less than his supplemented Munster wage due to his injuries, but again lets not underplay the financials of this.

Additionally, while I understand RugbyPass is hit and miss at the best of times (see "Deegan to Ulster" from earlier in the year), you can't exactly ignore newspaper sources just because you don't like the implication of them being right. Is it 100% accurate? Unlikely. Is it in the ballpark? Potentially. That's as much as I'd read into any reported salary from any source to be perfectly honest, a rough guideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Nobody is saying we’re getting these lads for nothing, just that 500k is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I genuinely do not believe Snyman has that much market value. His kind of injury track record and somewhat clear preference to keep himself available for SA games, would be a massive disincentive. Is he on 300k? Yeah, probably something like that if he hits certain targets. That's a massively far cry from 500k+

I am sure Barrett is on tons. By and large Leinster haven't paid up for NIQs though.

Also, I don't ignore Rugbypass cause I don't like the implications of what they report, I ignore them because they deserve to be ignored.

Also, I don't ignore Rugbypass cause I don't like the implications of what they report, I ignore them because they deserve to be ignored.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about some of their more questionable articles when I was typing that. That's fair enough.

Presuming the media source isnt just making up a given rumour, when you see one you have to consider who gains from that information to be leaked.

When the Snyman to Bath/Stormers rumour went out, the only people to gain from it was Snyman and his agent.

They are hardly going to throw out numbers that hurt their bargaining position and given that there is no transparency for rugby salaries, there is absolutely nothing for them to lose.

We had somebody claim earlier that Leinster did not spend a fortune on Barrett, which is nonsense. He's on less than he would've made in Japan (which would've been seven figures), that much has been reported - but lets not joke around and say that he isn't on a hefty wage. He's definitely on a mid-six figures salary (the financial brunt of which is mitigated by the fact that he's only here for half a season, so is effectively getting half a year's salary, but I'd still be surprised if it wasn't a decent big bigger than what Ngatai was on).

Aren't you clearly contradicting yourself here?

He won two world cups as part of their heavy bench impact and all the teams rumoured to be interested in him have strong connections to south african rugby. Of course you'd believe he would potentially have high end impact. He's done it on the highest possible stage.

You are delusional.

Supposedly it was stormers plus the south african union.

I'm fine with blanket not believing anything ever reported in the press. Its a strong stance from you but as long as you adhere to it consistently, i fully respect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I'm getting dev toner vibes from Clarkson.

A player that stuck in there and just got better and better.

Really thought he made strides this year.

Not every player comes on the scene fully formed.

Not really. Half a year's salary can still be a fortune. If Barrett's salary for a full season was 800k, spending 400k for him to be available from Christmas onwards is still a lot of money while technically being half a year's salary.

Obviously I've pulled those numbers from thin air but I'm sure you get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

I agree I think he made real progress this year.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,468 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"It wasn't about money for Jordie, he could've earned a lot more money in Japan but he wants to be in a really competitive competition testing himself week in, week out against the best players sin the world that are up there"

Not from Jodie, or his agent, but from the Hurricanes CEO.

• Advertisement

Nah I don't believe the nonsense reported in the press. You seem to believe anything reported once it is negative towards Leinster and good for you on that front

Snyman is getting paid what he is getting paid, most of the commentary I have seen about both signing is not coming from Leinster or their supporters, but from outside

Case in point is the young NZ lad, that came from NZ and not Leinster

Snyman had left Munster, he was free to go to whoever he wanted, he decided to go to Leinster, hopefully it works out for everyone

Your comment was Bath, who seemingly had 500k UKP to spend on Snyman, then when he rejected them they went from a WC winning second row to signing a squad player from Leinster who you would have to expect is on a lot less than 500k UKP

Anyway I doubt it is fair enough,

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

I know for a fact from the coaches mouth at the Stormers that they couldn’t afford snyman,there was no joint deal with Sa rugby.asking price was around €500k per year so I presume Leinster are paying that as RG was willing to go to Stormers and even had a few meetings with them trying to come to an agreement but Stormers couldnt make it work with the SA salary cap.

I meant fair enough you don't trust any press reports. That's fine.

Are you asking me if snyman is worth 450k sterling? Yes.

He's 6'9, an elite power carrier, one of the best offloaders in the world, a massive asset in the lineout, in mauls and a good scrummager.

Yes, he is worth a lot of money even with his injury history. Those are credible numbers.

Not sure why you would have multiple meetings, it's fairly easy to me

This is what I want, if you can't afford it then sorry I can't join

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Why are you calling him a "young NZ lad"? He's a 27-year-old first choice All Black and probably one of the best inside centres in the game. He's not just coming off U20 rugby and yet to prove himself in top flight rugby or something.

No he isn't, not now. Again I refer to the Glasgow player with more minutes than him in Thomond

Looking at him end of season when he played a full game he wasn't really any impact, he was poor and looks at best an impact player from the bench.

Is he a 500k player if he can stay fit? yes

Is he currently a 500k player? no because he hasn't been able to stay fit. At the moment he is named in SA squad, based on previous he will play a game for SA, get injured and miss majority of next season. Come end of his contract will anyone offer him 500k? no

If he stays fit, plays for Leinster and shows what he is capable of then yes the offers will come flooding in

It was a little joke, more to myself

Just having a bit of fun because of the reaction when he signed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Advertisement