Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Butterbeans

That's shi¥$y when it happens, sorry to hear it. You'll really have to go on how you feel. If you're still wiped at the weekend, a long run won't make you feel any better or be of any benefit to you. I've gone back running too soon after illness (not COVID now) and ended up setting myself back further.

There's a fair chance you'll be on the mend next week. You won't be where you'd like to be in terms of prep but do the race if you can, a reset of your goal time might be necessary. If it's your first 10k, that's a PB in the bag anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Cheers. Seeing as its my first and I've been banjaxed, finishing without walking would be a good result!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I had a bad dose last year and even after I recovered from the symptoms and felt fine, running was a complete chore for about 4 weeks after. After a kilometer or two, I would just have no energy even at a really easy pace and I was just chugging along. I would say wait until you have recovered, then go for an easy run. If you feel rubbish after a few km, go home and take another few days off. Lather, rinse, repeat until it no longer feels shít

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I had covid in January and it took probably about 4 weeks to be properly back at it.

My first run back, about 2 weeks after I did a 5k at what should have been an easy pace and my heart rate was like I raced the 5k. Like I literally raced a park run a few weeks ago and my heart rate wasn't as high!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Hey gang, haven't posted in an AGE.

Has anyone got any suggestions of nice running spots around Dublin 11/9/thereabouts? I've moved from Walkinstown to Glasnevin relatively recently and have been running in Albert College Park but it's very small and getting a bit boring.

I have a treadmill, which I love, but want to intersperse outdoor runs with that for a bit of variety and so I don't get too coddled, etc.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Thanks for all the covid responses .

Honestly, just last week i was asking why anyone would be bothered doing an antigen test anymore. Then this week i get the worse fever, dirtiest throat, and a debilitating brain fog so i just had to know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Around Northwood is nice. Also head to the Royal canal and run towards Blanch is nice. Not sure how close they are to you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Check out Tolka Valley Park. You can run as far as Ashtown and then back via the canal to Phibsborough.

Johnstown Park, Poppintree Park and Ellenfield Park are worth checking out too. Also Santry Demesne. Griffith Ave is nice too.

Griffith Ave to Malahide Road, down to Fairview and out the coast towards Howth, turning whenever you need.

Along the Tolka, along the Canal, to the Phoenix Park by either of those routes.

D9/11 has excellent options. Just don't try to run in the Botanic Gardens. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Griffith ave is a good one although GPS can sometimes have issues with the signal due to the trees for me anyway. I've even done a long run on just Griffith ave, back and forth 7 or 8 times which I don't recommend. Along the seafront at Clontarf is great for speed sessions because it's so flat, the only problem is the wind which is pretty much a constant. It means that in one direction you'll be faster with less effort and in the other direction you'll hate running with a passion.

My personal long run of choice at the moment is howth road to Whitchurch up to Ikea, across to Finglas and back down all the way to Glasnevin then back around to Howth road again. Easy to clock up about 30k on that route.

I've often thought the Botanic gardens would be lovely to run in, I presume they don't let you?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

My favourite is Tolka Valley Park to Ashtown and back along the canal via Phibsborough.

You can also do the 3 Parks, Albert College, Johnstown Park, Poppintree Park.

For longer runs, into the Phoenix Park from Ashtown or down to the coast and out to Sutton and back.

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Re goal MP or marathon effort the Hanson method (chabsey has been following it) adopts a different approach to Daniels and most others.

With Hanson you determine your goal MP at the start of the process. A couple of weeks in you begin a weekly MP session, starting at 6 miles, building to 10. You run that at your goal pace rather than mara effort.

Hanson is all about pace pace pace on session days rather than effort. It did take me a bit to be convinced of tbh.

The idea is you're training your brain and body what that MP feels like. If you can handle 6 miles of it in the early stages you're on the right track.

If you're well trained going into a block, to which you should be, and you've selected a realistic goal then that goal MP should feel relatively comfortable.

Doable over six miles at the start, and doable over 26 at the end.

Running is forbidden in the Bots , yes. I’ve had the pleasure of being ejected - but they were at least nice about it, and even offered me a lift to the gate in a golf cart!

You should have told them you would just run back to the gate 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CPC90

Hi all, I had a random question I might run by you all. I used to run regularly but fell out of it due mainly to a tiredness in my legs which I've never really been able to shake off. I can run a bit still but nowhere near the amounts I used to. I'm still only in 30's and would like to get back to it at some stage properly. Has anyone experienced this issue. I know it may partly be down to insufficient sleep (I'm not great sleeper). But wondered if anyone one else had dealt with this. Note - this is a heavy / tired feeling in legs from the start of the run; not just appearing half way through (if it was only at the end I wouldn't mind so much 😄). Thanks all!

It might be something as simple as running too hard, too much. Your legs aren't recovered from the previous run or other exercises you may be doing. The solution to that would be to ease back and slowly ramp up volume and amount of days you run. Also, don't do all your runs at a similar high level of intensity. It is generally recommended to do an 80/20 split. 80% of your milage at an easy slower pace, 20% of your milage at a faster paces. This gives your legs time to recover between the harder sessions while still letting you get in lots of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Hi all, sorry if theres already a thread on this. I've been running for the last 12 months, and started taking it semi-seriously since the start of the year, doing a few races. I'm really enjoying it but I do miss the team element and structured training etc that you get from other sports. I don't really know what I'm doing training wise and feel like training with other people would really bring me on, as well as having a few familiar faces on race day!

I was thinking that joining an athletics club might fill that gap and help improve my running. Is anyone familiar with any athletics clubs around Waterford City that host regular structured training for members and where you'd have access to a coach? Waterford AC and Ferrybank AC seem to be the two big clubs but not sure what their training schedules are like for distance running and info online is fairly scarce. Thanks!

Try running with a group or join a club, it might get you out of your head overthinking whether your legs feel heavy or tired. Personally I do get this sometimes but find that by KM 5-7 of the run it'll finally have flushed out and I'll be feeling a lot better. Definitely the first few Kms on those days are a real slog though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 CPC90

Makes sense thanks for this. Good to know that sometimes it can get better (less pain!) later in the run. There were a couple times when I thought I felt it was getting bit better but wasn't sure if I was just wishing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

According to their Facebook Ferrybank AC train Monday and Wednesday 6:15 at the RSC. I'm sure if you pop them a message they will confirm. Less info on the Waterford AC page, but again, reach out to them and they'll tell you. I think they are based in Carriganore.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Anyone use Garmins daily workout suggestion for their plan? I was a okay runner 4 years ago sub17 5ks, sub 35 10ks but lots of injuries since. I was coached within my club but I don't want to go down that route yet by adding pressure to myself. The past few months I've been building slowly. Just wondering if anyone used Garmins suggestions how they found it? I assume it is conservative enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone recommend a small water bottle that would fit into a smallish running belt?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Any recommendations for cheap energy gels?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Can't remember tbh but they were a good bit cheaper than the premium brands. Check the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Snodge

High 5 Energy gels €1.50 in Elverys…they usually have a buy one get one half price offer on them too

Advertisement