Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well done Georgia! Great scenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's the most excited I've been by a game in this tournament. I never switched over to the Czech Turk game.

Hopefully Georgia can cause a few more shocks. They played a lot of beautiful football tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭crushproof

Delighted for Georgia, great country great people and they'll be partying tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Turkey for me are the only bright spark in this competition.

From the unreal support of their fans to Turkeys gun hoe style of play. Not many teams would've gone for that 3rd goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The trigger happy mad ref has dished out another red card after the final whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Group Stage Results
    Group A

Germany 5 V 1 Scotland
    Hungary 1 V 3 Switzerland
    Germany 2 V 0 Hungary
    Scotland 1 V 1 Switzerland
    Scotland 0 V 1 Hungary
    Switzerland 1 V 1 Germany

Group B
    Spain 3 V 0 Croatia
    Italy 2 V 1 Albania
    Croatia 2 V 2 Albania
    Spain 1 V 0 Italy
    Albania 0 V 1 Spain
    Croatia 1 V 1 Italy

Group C
    Slovenia 1 V 1 Denmark
    Serbia 0 V 1 England
    Slovenia 1 V 1 Serbia
    Denmark 1 V 1 England
    Denmark 0 V 0 Serbia
    England 0 V 0 Slovenia

Group D
    Poland 1 V 2 Netherlands
    Austria 0 V 1 France
    Poland 1 V 3 Austria
    Netherlands 0 V 0 France
    France 1 V 1 Poland
    Netherlands 2 V 3 Austria

Group E
    Belgium 0 V 1 Slovakia
    Romania 3 V 0 Ukraine
    Slovakia 1 V 2 Ukraine
    Belgium 2 V 0 Romania
    Ukraine 0 V 0 Belgium
    Slovakia 1 V 1 Romania

Group F
    Türkiye 3 V 1 Georgia
    Portugal 2 V 1 Czechia
    Georgia 1 V 1 Czechia
    Türkiye 0 V 3 Portugal
    Czechia 1 V 2 Türkiye
    Georgia 2 V 0 Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Ref a big factor in Turkish win. Let’s play continue instead of blowing for handball and Czechs are 2-1 up.

Second Round
    Saturday 29th June
    Switzerland V Italy - (17:00) - Live on RTE / BBC
    Germany V Denmark - (20:00) - Live on RTE / ITV

Sunday 30th June
    England V Slovakia - (17:00) - Live on RTE / ITV
    Spain V Georgia - (20:00) - Live on RTE / ITV

Monday 1st July
    France V Belgium - (17:00) - Live on RTE /
    ITV
    Portugal V Slovenia - (20:00) - Live on RTE / BBC

Tuesday 2nd July
    Romania V Netherlands - (17:00) - Live on RTE / BBC
    Austria V Türkiye - (20:00) - Live on RTE / ITV

Post edited by citytillidie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Very happy for them. For so long felt like out mediocre brothers in arms so great to see them have their moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Georgia have done more in their first finals tournament than Scotland have ever.

Hoe does one end of the draw end up like this? One of these teams make the final. Germany, Spain, France and Portugal all in the other half of the draw. That's ridiculous.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Turkiye Czechia was great entertainment but the referee was **** dreadful. He lost control of it very early and missed so many things, blew whistle to early at times, made wrong decision.

It was like a less heated version of Netherlands Argentina in the last world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Because France and Belgium only came second when they "should" have come first.

But the first and second should always stay in the same half of the draw.

• Advertisement

That ref was shocking. When you're going around booking everyone on the benches, you know you're too hot-headed to be a ref and you're out of control.

Shouldn't have blown up play early when the Czech's went 2-1 up. Cost them as well with a soft sending-off after 20 mins. A clown of a ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They want to avoid repeat games, so I understand splitting them up the way they always do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

First and second go in opposite sides so they don't meet again until the final. Had they both won their groups (which they "should" have done as top seeds), then the bracket would look normal. The only reason lopsided brackets happen is because some teams finish second when they should finish first

I don't think it is, think they've done this for a long while… like the way England played Belgium in their world cup group in 2018, and could only play them again in the final or 3rd 4th playoff (the latter of which happened) after they were split apart.

And likewise, England were in the US group in the last world cup, and were then split to opposite sides of the draw. And in the last Euros, England topped the group with Croatia in 2nd - Croatia were put into the other side of the draw.

Think they're just looking to avoid repeat games unless both teams make it all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

A terrible ref. I know they have a hard job but when you get a bad ref there should be consequences. Maybe pay them more would help? That guy tonight was like robocop control freak type dude. Some of them unfortunately get off on it.

I haven't really looked at it in a long time, like maybe twenty years so it's quite possible it's going on a while. 10 years is a new thing to me these days. 😢

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

17 yellows and 2 red cards in that Czech v Turkey match. Mü₱₱€t of a ref, he was like a megalomaniac. It wasn't even a dirty game. The Czech players were frustrated at the final whistle, and I don't blame them.

Edit: Just read it's a new record for a European Championship match in terms of cards, hardly surprising.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ill be happy to see the Turks go out.

Can't stand their onfield behavior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭bren2001

Nah, first and second should always be opposites sides. Always been the way in euros? (Spain Italy final 2012 both our group for example)

You shouldn't meet who you played in the group until the final (3rd placed aside, unavoidable)

With 2 teams from a group going through, I totally get that, but with 3 going through from most groups surely it means 2 teams from the same group can meet in the quarters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Given the lobsided draw we could get another Euros surprise winner.

There is 6 groups so they can’t really divide it up with 1st in A v 2nd in B and so on like it was when it was 16 teams and then it all depends on the combination of the best 4 3rd place teams and what group winners play them

yeah, they only do it with the top 2 - the 3rd means there has to be the possibility of a rematch before the final. Yet another downside of the 24 team model, and another reason to just go all in on a 32 team Euros 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Advertisement

Austria would be my dark horse from that side of the draw.

Yep Austria and Netherlands can meet again in the quarter finals

Yeah, really nicely set up for them. Terrific chance of making the final if they can stay injury free.

Austria Turkey Romania and Netherlands (one of in a semi). I'm not sure Austria fall into the category of dark horses anymore, just a horse.

Much like England, if the Netherlands had a better coach this tournament would be wide open for them.

Think they should really push for Peter Bosz for the next World Cup cycle, as a gettable decent Dutch option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Peter Bosz seems like the obvious candidate. Koeman was an odd pick at the time and it's turned out how most expected I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Copa America is doing the 'Eagle Eye format' with the Top 2 in each group staying on the same half of the draw. Purely (I believe) so that Brazil and Argentina remain in separate sides even if one of them only finishes second in their group, thus keeping the dream final alive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Copa_Am%C3%A9rica#Knockout_stage

Euro 2008 had a similar format https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008#Knockout_phase with Spain and Russia meeting in the semi's despite being 1-2 in the groups. But fairly sure every other Euro's has done it the current format with 1-2 on opposite sides (and 3rd places being kinda floating wildcards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Austria have probably been (relatively) the most impressive side from that side of the draw. Netherlands and Italy could do better. Switzerland and Turkiye (Portugal nightmare aside) are capable of upping their game and England... well.

Romania and Slovakia would be the ones that'd surprise me to get through.

Spain have impressed the most on the other side and Georgia will probably offer a similar, though tougher, threat to Albania, which they passed while resting several players.

Germany Denmark should be a good tie but I'd expect Germany to prevail.

I don't see either of the other four winning it. Portugal, France and Belgium have just about done enough to get through and have struggled to consistently impress. As politely as possible, Slovenia are just there to make up the numbers.

I'd expect the winner of a possible Spain-Germany QF to win it outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

Really enjoyed the group stages. Turkey, Georgia and Austria played some beautiful football at times and great to see them go through.

For all the talk of England always getting the easier sides of the draw, they have consistently won the group stages under Gareth which has set them up well, albeit with a bit of luck.

Difficult to call the four semi finalists but I'd be most confident in England getting there. I think they'll improve as Mainoo will be brought into the side for Gallagher and Foden might also be benched. Then you have Shaw who must be nearing a return too. It would be great to see Austria get to the semi finals but I worry that their energetic style will catch up with them eventually.

As for the other half, Germany vs Spain and France vs Portugal would be a great quarter final line up!

Going to say England v Austria (England to win) and Portugal v Germany (Germany to win) as my semi finalists with England somehow winning the competition after beating Germany in the final.

England will not beat a quality side.

They appear to be on the easier side of the draw but they won’t win it out under any circumstances.

With any luck at all they’ll go out in the next round or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Trey13

Time will tell. I just reckon Southgate will eventually stumble upon their best 11 sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

As a utd supporter, delighted to see Austria do so well under Ralf Ragnick. He called out the issues at utd with the team that it needed open heart surgery. Results were shite under him because he called out the players and club.

He's a football man, Klopp has big administration for him. Has that Austria team some great football in a short amount of time if compared to Southgate and 8 years with England.

Hope they go all the way, would be such a brilliant suprise in the tournament.

One minute it’s “Gareth has consistently set them up well” topping groups in several tournaments and the next it’s “Southgate might stumble on their best 11”. You appear more conflicted than “confident”.

I don't think they have a midfield and that's a huge problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Generally, yes - you can't meet a group team until.the final - but its easier with two teams out every four progressing: just split the draw on half.

But with four third place teams also progressing, its a lot trickier because you can't predict which third place team will go where.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If the quarter final game is Austria Netherlands so be it, their group game was a cracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

All the tipping papers had this guy identified as a "muppet" to use your word.

I lumped on a red card and was paid out after 20 minutes.

Sadly, I think he's been rumbled now and may not get another game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I think they will struggle to survive the next round. Wouldnt be one bit surprised if Slovakia beat them.

Slovakia themselves are pretty poor too though. The one game they won was that mad one against Belgium - they nicked one goal early on and sat on it, but weren't exactly looking all that solid, with Belgium missing an absolute tonne of chances, as well as that extremely harshly (and I think very wrongly) disallowed goal.

Think there's a lot of teams left that could get the better of England, but alas I don't think Slovakia are one of 'em. England got pretty lucky with the draw.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement