Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭kk.man

Unbelievable how this summers weather is. No amount of weather apps or forecast is able to predict certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Great hay day here now... didn't look like it would turn out like this morning for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 20,472 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

after brightening up here in the last while. will chance baling a few this evening, and see how we go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Progressing nicely here, just gave it a nice fluffy turn. I'd say I'll row it up around midday tomorrow and bale in the evening. Better than expected but you can't beat the bit of heat in the air..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Dunedin

it has to be the worst hay weather ever. One minute sun is shining and the next it looks like rain. Not to mention the forecast changing nearly every fooking hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭893bet

rowed up and ready for baling. A rushy crop but they will pick what they like and the rest can be bedding. Might be glad to have it some year. There is 10 year old hay in the shed at the back I would say.

it’ll keep something alive Better be looking at it than for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭minerleague

Same as that, baled mine today. Rushy heavy ground that doesn't ever come out great as silage but makes fine hay. Could maybe have left it till tomorrow ( Wed ) but think you can lose some bit of life in crop by overdoing tedding and drying. Still had a nice dull green/silver colour

Got a nice few bales this evening. Would be great if tomorrow was half decent, but doubtful really. Hopefully can bale a few more tomorrow anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭limo_100

Mowed yesterday shook it out today and just checked the weather it is all after changing looks like rain on thurs and again on sat and more next week so won't be getting this hay maybe the forecast will change again

• Advertisement

great weather in north cork all morning, so will attack the hay again shortly

Today's the best day of the year so far for hay around here, and it looks like the rain won't make it inland to us at all. If you needed to you could get it turned twice.

Ps.

Baled up now, 10/acre, we'd a close escape with a shower as we started, a minute of heavy drops but it drifted off south along.

Better lucky than rich,

(better still to be both 😁).

Post edited by Castlekeeper on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

forecast not looking ideal but not too bad for the lower half of the country

Hay 2024 complete. A nice few more bales than anticipated. Few neighbours who cut the same time held off the last few days over the ever changing weather.

baled mine yesterday evening. Borderline fit but was away today with work and rain promised tomorrow so took a chance on it. Will leave out for a few weeks and 🤞🤞

It was down 6 days - one of them was the wet Friday and Sunday was the only real proper good day it got.

It's a real grabbing job again this year. The next week looks useless for hay now, it's some pain in the behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I have been following this thread and kicking myself. Had about 15 acres and couldn't cut it as we were away on hols until late last night. Hopefully a spell will come again. I was in the UK and large fields of hay down and large square balers moving. Passed 3 lorries on the UK motorways packed with large square of hay.

Feeling **** now as I have a dose of COVID to top it off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Sami23

Yeah you'd have to wonder will this be any more opportunities for Hay this summer given what happened last summer weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The optimist in me says yes. We have had the dullest spring on record since 96, record wet spell since mid june last year, coupled with a cool June. May ended up temp wise above average due to cloud cover keeping the night temps up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭emaherx

Summer is not over yet, it can't rain all the time… or can it? https://explorersweb.com/two-million-year-rainy-season/

I'm glad I cut early despite being advised against it regularly. Last year we made hay end of May and again last week of August. Holidays aside as they are important, I just go when there is even a slight chance, just have the wrapper on standby.

It's been a poxy year weather wise, but we've had worse and in years before the wrapper was common. No doubt there will be better and worse to come.

I might be regretting not wrapping mine 😩😩

Oh, I hope not… but you still had the option 🤣 (keep them out for a week or 2 and turn them often, if they are rounds)

For those who like hardship and rust, the square baler was revived again. The 178 was put to the test this week after some surgery, but it mowed, turned and rowed this field before baling about 270 squares. The Baler and 5'6 Sperry New Holland Mower were my Dad's and the 178 my Father in Laws, they now belong to a friend of mine along with a Sitrex Haybob 300 that he acquired non working in the Spring. Possibly the rustiest hay outfit in the country 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭kk.man

I never failed to make in in the last 10 straight years. This year has bamboozled me weather wise. I wrapped this years hay yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

hayiditis is a chronic and debilitating condition around here mainly affecting men over 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I'm in the very fortunate position of being away on holidays and the stud farm where i work finished bringing in the hay yesterday. 4500 small squares.. baled Monday evening. First year I missed it in 17 years in the job..my own few rounds were also done by my brother in law and ready to be brought in when I get back

It's gone in the way in Ireland that you just have to risk it at some stage..if forecast improves after you cut you get lucky and if not ..

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Baler looks good, Tractor is shocking and beats the my missing back window hands down! But them bales are nice and straight, no raggy edges. As for the weather, it is hit and miss but you can't be listening to the naysayers or you'd get nothing done!! There will surly be more oportunities to save hay right up till mid September plus the stuff gets coarser and is easier to save.

Anyone dry bedding cattle knows the difference between hay and silage when you are trying to keep cattle dry

I’ve made a personal commitment to myself NOT to check the weather forecast for at least 2 days …..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Will be the best part of 1000 bales of "hay" gone through wrapper for customers between yeasterday and todays wrapping..anything we probed is too high in moisture for hay,..some lads are chancing the bales on other are wrapping before the heating starts..seeing moisture higher than 20% in some stuff

• Advertisement

I think even Met Eireann have given up at this stage, because fecked if they know whats happeing tomorrow morning between 5 and 7!

Advertisement