Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General sheep thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭148multi

II normally use zeleris and if that don't work, I use draxxin-tulaven. Some vets don't like to prescribe draxxin, but younger vet seem more open to it's use. As explained to me they prefer to restrict it's use to bulls with very bad pneumonia.

Neighbour's ram ended up in with mine for a month, Ewes quickly started getting lame, swollen pad on one side and holding hoof up with pain, was advised to treat as above, vet said draxxin-tulaven only one for CODD

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

My only knowledge of draxxin is cammy on the sheep game u tube uses it for lame ewes regularly..never had it down here in the sunny South East..my vet gives me oxy complex for persistent lame ones that blue spray doesn't solve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cocci shouldn't be a problem to lambs over 8 weeks of age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hi all,

I have a dry hoggett who has been badly lame on a front foot for a fortnight.I suspected it might be footrot related as there was a bit of a smell from it.I injected her and a few other hoggetts with Draxin 10 days ago.All the other lame hoggetts are cured apart from this one sheep.

I caught her in the field yday evening, and she seems to have a soft tissue growth,

Just wondering with type of problem it is,should I give her Draxin again,,,,,,,or try something like aAlymycin LA 300?

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Possibly CODD. if so cull her it's highly infectious.

Thanks for reply,don’t think it’s CODD.It’s more like the little pollop growth you see pedigree Suffolk rams having sometimes……which can be known as a granuloma..From middle part of underside of her foot there is a little growth protruding about a third of length of your little finger.

It was a good dry evening when I caught her so I sprayed Alamycin spray on it,to see if it might ‘dry’ it out.Didn’t want to repeat Draxin injection straight away as it can continue to work for up to 14 days after injection.Was just wondering if it might be an idea to try her with with more of a broad spectrum antibiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

What's the earliest you could wean lambs born from the 3rd week of March up to end of April?

I usually cut them off with the foot parer, spray with alamycin and inject with antibiotic and painkiller

Ten weeks would be as young as I'd like to wean on to grass. I wean when the average age is twelve weeks. some would be 10 weeks and some would be 14 weeks.

You could wean at 6 or 7 weeks if they were on ad lib meals, we wean the petlambs at 5 weeks approx on ad lib meals and they're the same weight as their comrades now

Will be putting her in with comrades to check her so will see if Alamycin spray from other day helped at all.

• Advertisement

Would stronng Iodine dry it up a bit I wonder?

Wrangler. Do they bleed.much when cut off?

Yea, they bleed a lot but it's a lot more painful to leave, I've never been able to cure it without cutting it off. It's caused by drawing blood when you're paring the foot, I've heard it called strawberry foot rot

Thanks for that.had it before but was afraid to cut..cruel to be kind I suppose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Got the results from FEC test back there…

The original test showed

This test also listed “WORM EGG TYPE STRONGYLE 400 AND MONEZIA 800”

The test I did yesterday showed

This test lists “WORM EGG TYPE = MONEZIA”

Google tells me monezia is a tapeworm - so no impact on lambs? (I was told tapeworms don’t impact lambs?)

100% strongyle worm kill, which is good. The clear dose I used, doesn’t kill monezia - which is good I guess…

Now, coccidia went from 6000 to 1200, which still seems high. I was hoping it would drop more… The lambs are looking well, doing good enough I think. Some were a bit lose before the dose, but very clean now again - so happy with the dose overall.

The white dose I used a few weeks back for Nematodirus, does also kill monezia. But I am not sure it’s worth dosing them again…

The only thing is the coccidia, being a high count. But I am still inclined to leave them as is.

Thoughts?

What is the most sponged ewes lads have successfully ran with a ram? I won't have time to be taking them out as they are served..just letting him off in a small field to work away..mature ram..

Once the tapeworm eggs hatch out , numbers will explode into the thousands.

Coccidia shouldnt be a problem if the lambs immunity is good, the two parasites together might affect them though.

If they were mine I'd give them a yellow dose,,,, very easy lose a months thrive this time of year

Thabks Wrangler - not sure a yellow dose will kill tapeworms though?

Just looking at Levacide there, and I don’t see Monezia listed. I do see it listed as a worm a white dose will kill though…

So would I be better off going white dose to kill the tapeworm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

had 1000 tapeworm count this week all others low, discussion with vet decided go in with white dose yesterday. We decided based lambs only average 12 weeks old

Sorry, we don't have tapeworm here so wouldn't be up to speed, do you dose your dogs, for the cost of it's worth doing as tapeworm comes from them too,

We dose our dogs every three or four months and credit that with never having tape worm and all the sheep we had.

I know the general opinion is that they're harmless but 7-800 eggs hatching out and tapeworm are more prolific at laying eggs than ordinary worms and they can grow into big guys. You'll never see an ordinary worm in the dung but a tapeworm is quite visible

You should be happy enough that the clear dose took out all the ordinary worms (strongyles) clear dose is failing on a lot of farms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭joe35

After getting the Sheep shorn today. A lot of them with a yellow tint in their fleeces now. Any idea what it might be

If they are in good physical condition it probably only means that the eek is out in their wool which is a good thing.

Wouldn't be overly happy with the condition they are in. All doubles sheared today and they were a bit tight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Dickie10

weaned the lambs yesterday , weaning rate of 1.7, scanned 1.93, mortality 11%. would haave had mortality around 8% only for a horrendous night of rain and snow in first week of march where i got 4 dead lambs in various fields some over 2 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Anyone recieve a record book for the new sheep scheme yet?

The weather was very rough in general around the lambing time,cold nights and mornings and bad rain showers.It has been an abnormally bad year to date weather wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Country lad

did.nt come here either i phoned department and they told me they be sending them out but that was a couple of months ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Le shovelle

No book here either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Young95

hi folks,

I have a fec count query , I dosed lambs here 13 days ago with cydectin. Dis morning I gathered a few samples and dropped them into lab .

Got results back saying 300 trichostrongyles present . I did not do a test before dosing but I’m pretty sure that figure is still high after only being dosed 2 weeks ago , do I have a resistance issue with moxidectin products? At what egg counts do people go in with a dose ?

Vet said 300 was high and need to dose again asap .

thanks in advance of responds .

would think so going by that, have you used it on ewes before know issue found in UK with it being used as injectable o. Ewe’s leading to resistant.

side note remember a NZ vet telling me not to use moxidectin years ago he hated it. Can’t remember why but he has a logic

only ever on lambs , don’t dose ewes atal , but those lambs that received it in the past would have been retained as replacement ewes , so they would enter flock as breeding ewes .

• Advertisement

no was some way it targets the worms he had issue with

You have a resistance problem if 300epg is still left after dosing, dose them now with a yellow dose and see does that clear them, We test for local farmers here and a lot of farmers have wormer resistance to yellow, clear and white doses.

There's trials being done on farms with triple resistance now, it'll be interesting to see what the solution will be.

Zolvix is still working well but if it's used too much it'll be useless too fairly quick

If a worm dose is used too much it becomes useless, Ivermectins have been made useless by farmers injecting for scab. The sheep being injected are treated for worms and they not needing it.

We've been FEC testing for the last 20 years and have no wormer resistance to either ivermectins or Levamisole just by good practise. Even the white dose is working reasonable

thanks for the feedback, what is the recommendation epg to dose lambs at tho ? Is it a count of 500 plus ? Think Teagesc recommend 600 ? My vet recommended 250 before, but I’m starting to wonder about him and sheep knowledge.

yea, 500,there's very little loss in thrive under 500 and a lot of vets have very little interest in sheep.

I see the advice for triple resistant flocks is alternating the dose between yellow and clear every time rather than alternating every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭eire23

I go white for first, yellow for second and clear for third. Seems to work well. Is there any point in introducing zolvix at any stage of other doses are working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭clonagh

Same as that but I mean introducing it as a once a year wormer at some stage.

If the other wormers are working and that's proven up by FEC results, then there's no need to use Zolvix.

• Advertisement

I'll give it a miss so. The small wee bottle i got for any bought in rams wasn't cheap.

I wouldn't use zolvix unless the the other wormers weren't working, It's important to do everything bought in with zolvix and levamisole and leave them indoors for 48 hrs until they pass the worms.

I think around €1.30

I've 25 old ewes with not much flesh on them, few broken mouths and a few gummy. They're after raring lambs, would you be cut much for these in the factory or would I be better going to the sales. Getting to the sales is s bit of bother compared to the factory. Mostly hornies but a few mules in there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Mart if theyre light. At least you could bring them home again if not happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Tileman

oh god ye don’t bring them to the factory if they are that thin . Bring to mart or try fatten a little more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

is wormer resistance a way bigger problem in sheep compared to cattle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I would say its less of an issue in suckler herds alright from my experience, especcially those that are more extensive - more of an issue for Dairy I'd say given how intensive that has become and the ongoing issues with the sheer numbers of stressed unweaned calves(with poor rumen/natural immunity) that have to be dealt with on mainly monculture leys, wet weather issues etc.. Its a worrying trend alright and points to a lack of awareness and education in the sector cos I do see other folks locally and what us see posted on other agri forums suggesting meds in general are treated like smarties to be dolled out without much taught for the particular situation or medium to long term consequences:( - need better leadership on the subject from the likes of Vets and DAFM too

Advertisement