Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Flight Crew Industrial relations thread 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lockheed

After only one day of working to rule, IALPA already backing down from one condition of the original strike action and are advising pilots to accept duty changes so long as duty hours do not exceed original rostered duty.

I can only see one way this will end and that’s IAG/EI on top, this is a loss for IALPA on day one, no cancellations and no major disruption network wide whatsoever

Strike action is a waste of time, IALPA have dug their heels in now and realising it isn’t the bargaining chip they thought it was when it comes to an international company as opposed to the government owned EI of the past . Under IAG EI are prepared to keep cancelling flights and hiring in until it blows over and they give up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Indeed, and of course the opposite is also true, hard to see mgmnt forgetting the loss of revenue, the hundreds of cancelled flights, the disruption to thousands of passengers, the adverse publicity that ensued, the cost of hire`ins, the 8 hour strike at the start of the school holidays.

Might cause a bit of sourness in the C-suites of IAG I would sugges, but hey..maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CoisFharraige

The claim there that it is a "loss" is a bit of a misnomer - c.10% of all flights today were cancelled. The schedule went largely fine today which both sides are probably satisfied with (albeit one more than the other) - the intention was probably not for big disruption but to cause significant operational issues for the airline which by definition it has done.

Obviously the significant amount of wet-lease aircraft being hired in is another issue. Again just adding to an ever-growing cost bill for this industrial action. So I don't think one can say that there was no major disruption… The damage was already done before today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Probably been asked many times, but am I right in saying that if one of your flights is cancelled due to this strike that you’re entitled to EU 261 compensation even if you re-book?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Not necessarily, I think it’s a bit of a grey area with regards compensation and strike. I don’t think you can but I was challenged to say it’s contentious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What’s the best way to claim do you know? I had to move my flights because EI cancelled one of the legs and now they are saying they won’t process a claim as it’s not within 15 days before the flight. Also got charged fare difference even though they said they’d waive that charge.

just google EU261 how to claim. You’ll get better clearer details than you would from me 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

True, but hard to see most of that management team being around in 5 years time to hold the grudge, most of them will have moved on to pastures new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The only hire-ins that I am aware of today were two DAT A320s. The two Privilege Style aircraft have left and are operating for other customers as of today. I think further hire-ins are expected for Saturday, to offset where possible the effect of the eight-hour stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Possibly.

I forgot the most important cohorts of all-the travelling public and those poor lads and lasses who weren’t working to rule putting together a schedule to minimise disruption and dealing with disrupted passengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Yes, it's a difficult situation for everyone involved. At least there were no further cancellations and in fact, not too many bad delays either. Passengers interviewed on RTÉ news seemed to be reasonably unphased.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

How do you know this they have agreed to talk an the strike is still on for sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It is literally the current average private sector increase… I didn’t pull the number out of my hole, and I never said it was guaranteed on the average office job either.

https://www.cipd.org/ie/knowledge/reports/private-sector-pay-survey/#:~:text=Organisations%20are%20planning%20an%20average,a%20trade%2Doff%20for%20predictability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That's the average of those currently planning an increase. But only approximately 50% are. So if people aren't getting that they shouldn't be surprised.

I'm not entirely sure how useful it is to compare with other jobs. Considering the massive difference in pay scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 orchidkey

Yes, but the pilots want everyone to ignore the increments they get anyway and focus on the % payrise.

Pay growth in the private sector includes increments, if increments even exist. Which they don't in a lot of places.

It's the same as the fraudsters in state employment. They want the pay growth in other sectors applied to their own and on top of their increments.

Post edited by orchidkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭Trampas

Increments are all well and good until you reach the top of them. Then you’ve a pay freeze until you leave? So if you give a pay rise is that a new step or do you lift the whole scale? If you add a new step then when does step 1 become redundant as it’s now 10 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

TheyThey've agreed to talk. However the strike is still on. Even if they stop the strike, Aer Lingus won't be able to reinstate the flights they have already cancelled at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 7 orchidkey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭Trampas

more for people who think increments just pass as a rise

Interesting to see seasoned IR troubleshooter Kieran Mulvey's piece in today's Indo. Hard to argue with his overall analysis. https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/kieran-mulvey-parties-in-aer-lingus-dispute-must-get-around-table-before-serious-damage-is-done/a245623512.html

• Advertisement

Paywalled (and i'd be fcuked if i gave that useless paper a red cent)

Text of Mulvey piece is:

"To paraphrase Jane Austen, “it is a truth universally acknowledged” that all industrial disputes are resolved eventually.

It is the pain, financial and otherwise, for the parties involved – and the impact of this dispute on the travelling public, on the hospitality industry and on the wider business community – that requires that there is a cessation of hostilities for the good of our economy and our international reputation.

We are lucky to have effective and respected statutory dispute-resolution bodies. As a veteran of many disputes in Aer Lingus and latterly the pilots dispute in Ryanair, I am conscious these can become fractious and on occasion personally difficult for the main protagonists.

Aer Lingus has always been a “family” employment milieu, but this to a large degree dissipated after the airline passed from state ownership.

That these pay and conditions negotiations have dragged on for almost two years has not helped matters, allowing a degree of rancour to enter the exchanges between the parties over who did what in the course of the dispute. Truth, like war, is the first casualty in industrial relations.

The Labour Court, under its vastly experienced chairman Kevin Foley, is faced with the unenviable challenge of two parties who are widely divergent in their respective stated positions, which are repeated ad nauseam in all media commentary. It feels like an echo chamber of claim and counter-claim.

Also, against this immediate claim by pilots is the broader context of previous settlements for all other staff in Aer Lingus; the corporate view of the airline within IAG; the pulling of two new aircraft from the fleet; and the reputational damage both sides are suffering.

As to the current claim and its prospects of success, it is something both parties will have to manoeuvre around and creates particular difficulties for the Labour Court in the context of the wider public and private sector.

The stakes are high for both sides, as they are for the travelling public, who are facing serious costs for family holidays, disruption and increasing frustration.

In the medium term, the stakes are equally high for Aer Lingus itself, its employees and the highly competitive North American market. This dispute cannot drag through the summer, and the idea of passengers, in whatever jurisdiction, queuing at departure gates for Aer Lingus flights and then finding them suddenly cancelled is both a recipe for chaos and unconscionable.

Sometimes in industrial disputes, when you look in to the abyss and find the abyss looking back at you, it’s time to take several steps back from the ledge and rethink. Both sides need to do this before there is further escalation.

Although Tuesday’s limited engagement did not bode well and the mantra of the respective parties being quoted again will not reassure the travelling public, common sense – as the court stated in its interim recommendations – must prevail, and nothing in industrial relations is non-negotiable.

The quicker the parties re-engage with the court, the better. They can then get down to collective bargaining and the resolution of this most harmful of disputes."

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flyer_query

Flying with Emerald Air on Saturday morning the day of the strike. Anyone know the story with the EI lounge.

Even though EI themselves wont be flying their lounge "should" be open because BA, IB and Emerald flights which also use the lounge are still operating.

But will the non pilot EI staff (including lounge workers) cross the picket?

I suppose same question to those flying BA, will the EI ground handling crew cross the picket and service the BA flights, they dont look cancelled and are still scheduled to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Everything should be operating as normal on Saturday morning, just no mainline EI flights operating until 1pm.

The picket question goes further, will BA pilots cross an EI picket line? Legally I doubt they can picket on DAA property, they are probably limited to Shamrock House

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The unions will have clear guidance given on that as otherwise, emerald flights can't operate etc.

The answers on the website

Will Aer Lingus Regional flights still operate as scheduled?

Please use virtual cursor to read the content.

Yes. Aer Lingus Regional flights, operated by Emerald Airlines, will not be subject to any industrial action. Aer Lingus Regional flight numbers are in the range EI 3000 – EI 3999.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flyer_query

I appreciate you are replying to another post but that is linked to my original query. Emerald have already send plenty of emails to tell me my flight will operate and as you say its on the website so expect my flight to go so that's not a concern for me.

My question is about will non EI pilots employed directly by EI (so not including Emerald) cross the picket line? Trying to figure out if the EI lounge will be open which is partially staffed by EI direct labor. The poster you quoted is right to say that the other unions (representing the non pilots) will have issued guidelines to their members on crossing pickets so grateful if anyone in the know could share what that guidance is.

While my question is lounge related it will also impact BA fliers who rely on EI ground crew to provide ground handling so I expect all non EI pilot staff to either cross or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭granturismo

Members of unions who havent given strike notice have no legal protection if they choose not to cross a picket line. They may choose to take uncertified sick leave to avoid crossing a picket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

My job has increments in place for mainly office based staff and it reaches its peak after 14 years. When i started after a few months we received a back dated pay increase, Two months later an increment payment and the following month another pay increase.

The lads working in operations do not get the increments but have scope to do OT were very seldom the offiice based staff would.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

All other Aer Lingus staff will be at work as normal. (Or on standby if their flights were cancelled) They have their own IR agreements.

BA pilots aren't based in Dublin, so they won't have to "cross a picket line" to operate their flights.

Emerald pilots are employed by a different airline and have zero involvement in this labour dispute (apart from probably knowing some EI pilots)

Advertisement