Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I said potentially because i'm talking about the future. Everything is potentially. He hasn't played on that contract for leinster yet. I assume that starts in september. September is in the future.

So, yea Snyman who was high end impact off the bench for South Africa in TWO world cup wins could POTENTIALLY do the same for Leinster. In the future.

Maybe Nienebar will start him, who knows. He's immediately your best lock but teams are way too in to the finisher thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I wish we'd have passed on Snyman. His injury profile reads like an encyclopedia. Healthy he's fine. Will he be healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I didn’t disregard anything, just a fairly non controversial observation that big names get judged on big matches. If we’re here a year from now talking about how Jordie Barrett ripped it up against the Dragons in round 13, then something has gone wrong.

Yeah I remember RGS against the Bulls. I also remember how tight that game was right up to the closing stages, and that he still got the shepherd’s crook on 55 minutes.

I’m not saying he’s a bad player, just it’s hard to square what we’ve seen and have not seen with what is being claimed about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

RG will be a bench player.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You’re moving the goalposts. “Didn’t impress anyone with this form this season” is different to putting in caveats about him only playing 55 minutes.

No, I'm not. You are completely over-reacting to a pretty mundane and factual observation. I'm trying to clarify but the red mist has descended on you so I don't anticipate a good outcome. You are the one who moved the goalposts by reading "didn't impress with his form" as "he did not play well at all, in any game". That is not rational.

His (apparent) inability to play 80 minutes is inextricably linked to his performance. You cannot talk about a guy in the sort of hushed reverence that we're seeing here, but then stick a footnote on it that he's gassed by 50 minutes or is a great impact sub. He's 29 years old like, he should be able to go 80 minutes.

Maybe Rassie will whip him, possibly literally, into shape over the summer.

So didn’t impress with his form… apart from those 6 games where he was excellent.

But I think I’ll just borrow that barge poll…

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

RGS was unplayable for about 5 games. Just watching him when everything clicked and thinking this guy is pure box-office, an immense talent that makes the game look easy. Hoping, but not believing that could do that for a whole season.

ah no need for the barge pole, we’re closer than you think. We both agree he can do a job for 60 minutes in a URC pool game but fell away at the business end of the season.

The only difference is that you think this is impressive for a big name, high value player, but I don’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not sure how anyone could describe Snyman as exceptional at any stage playing for Munster. Yes he has come on, shown the odd good offload or the odd decent bit of play but to claim that is exceptional is baffling, decent and good would be better description

The return on investment for Munster is terrible, the number of minutes he has played compared to the money given to him, while taking a NIQ spot at the same time. No other way they can describe it as terrible. This is not an attack on the player which of course some people will take it, players get injured and it's not their fault. But looking at it from a business point of view it is

I was baffled when Munster signed him again, from recollection while he was still injured. Leinster have signed him and I am baffled as well. As people have posted he is a bench player unless his form and durability massively improves.

I wish him the best of luck, hopefully for him and Leinster he stays fit, has a big impact and shows the World what he can do over a sustained period. Also can he impact big European games, like if he comes on in a semi/final in Europe(hopefuly Leinster can make them) will he be able to swing those games

In that scenario he will command huge wages and will have clubs around the World offering him whatever he wants

And I think judging his form over the season, but only basing that judgement on 2 knockout games, is a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

He was injured for most of the season, as usual.

I’m judging it over the entirety of the season but giving more weight to bigger games. This is not an unreasonable approach.

He’ll be the third RWC winning second row to play for Leinster. We’re hoping for another Brad Thorn from 2012, the player you’re describing is Owen Finegan from 2006.

With no rugby after the SA tour, I’d recommend watching all 6 of the Zebre thru Edinburgh games.

He was way better than “decent or good”.

Look, fair enough, I think you’re way off but we’ll see how he goes next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

This is the return Munster have got from Snyman. No matter what way you push an agenda this cannot be seen as a success for the club when this is a highly paid NIQ

As I said, I wish the best for him, would say the same no matter who he went to as I hate seeing player injured.

But literally no one’s disputing that Munster didn’t get value for money from him. No one’s saying Snyman should be seen as a success over his 4 years at Munster.

You’re claiming people are “pushing an agenda” on a point that literally isn’t being made.

Which begs the question, which one or us exactly is pushing an agenda here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He's immediately your best lock but teams are way too in to the finisher thing.

You are in the minority with that opinion and there is absolutely no justifiable basis for it. I'd frankly be shocked if you found a single Leinster fan who would swap Ryan or McCarthy for him.

I hope to god Leinster don't start him because he completely disappears after 50 mins which is unacceptable at this level. He was fairly underwhelming in the playoffs. He didn't make much impact coming off the bench against us in the world cup either.

He is clearly a very good, if flawed, player. But this idea that he would walk into Leinster as their best lock is based on a mythical version of him that he certainly hasn't displayed in the last 4 years.

• Advertisement

I do think he was good in those games, and do think he can make a difference at Leinster next season (with the big caveat if he can stay healthy), but you also have to take into account that those 6 opponents are:

Zebre (16th), Ospreys (8th), Bulls (2nd), Lions (9th), Connacht (11th) & Edinburgh (10th).

So yeah, he played very well in those games, but those are not the calibre of games (Bulls game excepted) that Leinster are acquiring him for next season. When he costs what he cost he has to be held to a higher standard.

I'd frankly be shocked if you found a single Leinster fan who would swap Ryan or McCarthy for him.

And if you polled Munster fans if they would swap Beirne or Kleyn for him, you'd get a similar response.

If he rocks up in October and he's found a new lease of life after his summer with the Boks, then that will be amazing, but he absolutely needs to up his game considerably, especially since we are now so light in the second row.

On the flip side, you'd have to assume Nienaber knows him better than anyone on this forum, so hopefully it all pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭EarWig

Former Australia and Leinster coach Michael Cheika appointed at Leicester Tigers

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/2024/06/27/former-australia-and-leinster-coach-michael-cheika-appointed-at-leicester-tigers/

For a second I read Leinster.

Ah well, onwards and upwards, or whatever the direction is these days.

This reads as if you agree with me more than FFF tbh.

I’d be interested if you had stats. Particularly for that Bulls game, say.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

I did disagree with FFF and someone else previously on this thread when they expressed a view that Snyman won't be a difference maker for Leinster next season - I absolutely do believe he has the capacity and potential to be a big addition (with the big if) if he can stay healthy. I obviously think he's a very good player when he's at his best, but the key caveat is he is very rarely at that level.

His stats for that 6 game span are good, without being mind-blowingly good. The only real outlier is his offloading (he had 12 offloads during this span). His carrying is pretty good - averages 3.1m per carry, but there are outliers in there he was 2m per carry or lower against the Bulls, Connacht and Lions, whereas had bigger days against Zebre & Edinburgh.

Tackle stats are good but not stellar - good volume of tackles and 89% completion.

His try scoring stats must be right up there In those games tho right? Any others?

Sorry, yeah he had a great scoring return in those games, scoring 4 tries in 6 games. He bagged another against Ulster in a later game too.

I think he's very effective close to the line as a try scorer. He has incredible control of the ball (seen in his offloading), big long levers and obviously very good power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Someone mentioned Balacoune potentially moving from Ulster to Leinster yesterday when he is out of contract next year.

I was wondering over the last 10 years or so have many Irish players moved direct from another province to Leinster? Obviously plenty have gone the other way.

I know Robbie Henshaw did and reddan, Nagle and mike Ross moved via foreign clubs and nick mccarthy did a stint in munster and Roux may have been to connacht on loan? Jenkins and synman could be considered too but not irish players. But anyone else ?

I think he’s one of very few players who can combine that power and handling, offloading, ball control. He’s also really evasive so curious if you also have defenders beaten / clean break stats?

If he can stay fit, I’ll honestly be pretty shocked if people aren’t raving about him on here next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

MIke McCarthy, Sean Cronin 2 from Connacht off the top of my head.

Advertisement