Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the government intent on forcing through the EU Migration Pact?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm not listening to a 2 hour show to see where you're getting your misinformation from. Please give me a timestamp or quote where they said what you claimed.

However if they said this they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

You don't want to listen to what this establishment state is literally lying about? I don't blame you. Look podge its there, look for the segment where she interviews Varadkar, y'know the former Taoiseach who now wants to give his uncensored two cents about everything? Or don't, I don't give a $hit. But don't be coming on here claiming I'm the liar when the establishment, former Taoiseach's are saying the same thing, as is your claim, and then try to claim I'm the untrustworthy bastard. I'm just telling you exactly what your precious far right establishment is saying and misinforming the nation with. But you don't care.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Meirleach

Well this is deeply disturbing.

Surely this should have waited til after the general election.

Guillotining the debate was negligence at best.

I truly believe this is going to turn out to be a very dark turn for this country, I hope I'm wrong.

Not with a bang but a whimper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You'd wonder what's the point of having a government anymore. They just continue to give away responsibility to the EU and have no interest in actually leading. They're just to follow and bend the knee to the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

As the vote for VdL is done by secret ballot, the FF MEP's could vote against her and nobody but themselves would know this. So, as nobody will know why is Martin telling porkies about why FF have to vote for VdL?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

what will define a frontline country ? If they are defining it as a country where most of them lot arrive to first , then Ireland will never be considered one.

A choice between taking in more of them or paying a contribution instead. How big will this contribution be ? I’m thinking large enough to “persuade” countries to take them instead of the contribution.

How will this processing applicants faster actually happen ? Why have they not been able to prior?

I can’t see this pact being beneficial to Ireland at all , the opposite.

Post edited by slay55 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am shocked at how close it was to be honest.

I thought it was only a handful of far right loons were against immigration.

They hardly had that many representatives voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭Augme

Usually helps to do a bit of research before commenting.

A lot of people (including opposition tds) are against the immigration pact before it is too harsh of a system on refugees. Those people are generally not considered to be "far right".

Have you examples to share?

Will be interesting to compare when it comes out who voted which way.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I think it is because we are weak politically in Europe. I think the main point of our weakness is our tax and incentive policy towards multinationals and inward investment which some in the EU would like to see put an end to. Therefore we need to always be the "good Europeans" when it comes to other areas.

You said the below and i am asking who are the people who said they were against it.

A lot of people (including opposition tds) are against the immigration pact before it is too harsh of a system on refugees

Labours Aodhan O'Riordan said the below during a previous debate.

The Labour Party finds it very difficult to support the EU migration pact on the basis of the undermining of the basic ability of individuals to claim asylum and the fact that this has come from the more right-wing viewpoint within the European Union.

I'm not calling you a liar. I'm saying that the information you are repeating, whatever the genesis of it, is wrong. Because it is. If Varadkar is saying it he is also wrong.

A majority of our MEPs did not say they wouldn't vote for VDL prior to the election. There is no requirement to vote for VdL in order to get "an EU Commissioner portfolio". 9 of our MEPs will vote to support her because they are in political groupings that support her, and importantly supported her Commission last time too so this is not a surprise. There is absolutely no conspiracy or coercion going on here whatsoever.

They could but why would they? Renew support VdL and their political grouping candidate is in line to be representative for Foreign Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Yep and whoes to say they wont pull the plug on that too either way

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I'm actually surprised the vote was so close

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

They don't have the competence. Taxation (other than VAT) is a member state responsibility; giving the Commission power to override national laws on taxation would require a Treaty amendment, which would require unanimity among all member States, including Ireland, and would also require a referendum in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Deeply sad times.

Ireland well on its way to becoming a bloated, souless market rather than a nation's homeland. A geographical term only.

Our children and their children will suffer the most. They will be left to navigate a society more dangerous, tense, unhappy and incoherent than the one we were privileged enough to experience.

It was all taken for granted, and sold.

Even the most enthusiastic supporters of the Pact know that it would have been defeated 80-20 or 70-30 were it put to referendum, even with the full weight of this wretched establishment behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Kiteview

Largely correct but point 6 should be:

6. The Irish government nominates a candidate for the role of Commissioner.

The incoming President of the European Commission is the person who then chooses which specific portfolio (eg transport) the candidates are proposed for to the European Parliament.

There is no guarantee that any candidate will succeed. They have to go through an extensive hearing / "grilling" by a European Parliament committee to secure the committee's approval and then, if successful, be elected to office by a full session of the European Parliament (together with their fellow candidates for the roles of Commissioners). Only, after all that, do the Commissioners get formally appointed to office by the European Council (the heads of government of the member states).

Also, the candidate cannot be "our" Commissioner. They are required by oath of office to act impartially for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement

I am not sure why some people here are complaining about this pact. The EU Treaties explicitly state that the EU will create a common asylum and migration system - and those treaties were all approved by Ireland after the people gave their approval in our various referenda on them.

Also, the talk of sovereignty and our borders is ludicrous given that the Common Travel Area means the UK calls all the decisions for us - and opting out just re-enforces that. Is anyone naive enough to think that had the UK joined Schengen, we would exist in splendid isolation outside it? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

We weren't given a say in a very important piece of legislation.

The argument was made in response to what I said was essentially "we voted for these guys to make decisions on our behalf so suck it up"

You have a very bizzare view of democracy if you think that this is a sign of democracy working well.

There wasn't even a debate in the Dáil about this legislation despite it being very clear that immigration is an important topic in Ireland.

I understand perfectly well that every government don't start with a blank slate but this was pushed through as quick as possible with the current regime in case the government doesn't get a majority next time round.Fact isn a long term decision has been made by people who aren't going to be around for the long term and therefore they don;t really have the mandate for making this decision.

Our politicians clearly don't work for the people any more in any way , the just do whatever the EU tells them to do and ignore the people of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭This is it

What are the pros to the migration pact?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

We get progressive brownie points.

Other than that we just have to pay massive fines and keep buying tents for any chancer who decides to have a crack at a life of free everything in Ireland.

Glazers Out!

You might want to familiarise yourself with both our own constitution and the EU Treaties.

The concept of representative democracy is clearly set out in them. Your idea that the government needs to consult you every time they make a decision you don't like has no basis in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I remember someone in the dail saying something like if the pact was passed we would be looking at taking 30,000 people in. And if not get fined 20k each for a total cost of 600 million.

Considering it's costing us in the billions at the moment. Surely any person with a brain cell would continue to allow migrants who come legally and who contribute and just say no to the people coming to abuse the system and take the 600million fine. That's saving money and not letting illegals in.

But would that 30,000 be on top of everyone who makes it here and claims asylum?

I must read the entire thing.

It's ridiculous to suggest every piece of legilsation needs to be voted on by everyone in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭crusd

In the real world pro migration groups such as Amnesty and others are against this pact as they see as removing the rights of migrants, making it more difficult for the to get asylum, making the more likely to be deported sooner, making them more likely to be returned to first country quickly.

No one on this thread has articulated anything other that "EU bad" as a reason the not ratify this pact. We do however know that if wont don't ratify it, and asylum seekers who believe they might get rejected elsewhere in the EU decide to turn up at Dublin airport we will have no mechanism to return them. We also know the it provide the option to support the processing of migrants locally in the likes of Greece and Italy in lieu of accepting additional migrants. From what I have heard I am finding it strange that its the anti immigration lobby that's so dead set against this pact. Seems like its more a step towards what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

That 30,000 relocations and 600m in financial contributions is a minimum for the EU as a whole, not just for Ireland.

• Advertisement

We aren't given a say in any piece of legislation

Advertisement