Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭REFLINE1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Haha ya I’d say significant enough tbh

I think last known index was 8.8 but default for men in the classic is 18

Probably wouldn’t have the heart to do it in the moment anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ya probably

Do people think rules should be explained a small bit better for things like Champagne Scrambles/Classics etc?

I’d say moreso than any other competition rules may be incorrectly/accidentally broken - things like best ball player placing their ball (even I’m not 100% sure on it), somebody putting out for their par to let another person ‘have a go’ for birdie when it’s only one score to count etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭OEP

I don't think Scrambles or Classics are covered under the rules of golf, so there are no official rules. I guess that means it's up to the club to inform players.

• Advertisement

Love learning things like that. Wasn’t aware at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Has anyone ever considering going through a full swing overhaul?

Myself for example, I'm a decent local club golfer. Played most of my adult golf somewhere between 6 to 8. But in the last few years this has drifted out and I'm now currently off 10.1. The drift was mainly down to lack of playing time, young family etc.

But now that I'm getting back onto the course more frequently, I'm toying with the idea of going back to basics and rebuilding my swing. When I was playing off 6 and 7 a few years ago, I would have never had a traditionally brilliant golf swing from start to finish, I did somethings quite well obviously, but there were flaws. My bad shots were bad, hooks and fats and would cost me dearly. I could easily shoot a 74, followed by a 76, then followed by 2 round in the 90's!!

I know with a bit of work over the summer I can get back my game back to where I was at a few years ago, now that I've the time. I shot my best round of the year on Sunday and I should be happy that things are starting to thread back downwards with the handicap. The last few weeks in generally have been good. But, I know deep down there's still some fundamental flaws in me, they haven't raised their ugly head in recent weeks, but I know a round of snap hooks and duffs is on the cards. My mates are telling me that I should just get on with it, be happy because I can score well and accept the bad rounds when they come. And I understand that, I don't mind hitting bad shots as it happens to the best, I would just like to be in position where I'm fully confident on why that shot was bad, like bad shot selection, poor club choice, just put a bad swing on that one etc…

Instead of me trying to figure out which 1 of the 4 or 5 different swings kinks I have that caused the issue. Which can compound itself in the middle of a round trying to work on some swing diagnoses. As I write this post I feel like I'm even overthinking things! Maybe I should just get one with it 🤣🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭OEP

I kind of did one. If you have access to a driving range, I'd advise doing it in winter because you need to be able to hit hundreds of balls to ingrain the new movements, and you don't want to waste a summer hacking it around. It's als hard to fully commit to a new swing if you're worried about hitting it OB or missing a green. You'll need a few lessons, monthly at the beginning perhaps, to make sure you're on track and to keep building on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

How do you feel about your game now you went through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭IrishOwl...

I do have very similar thoughts. I'm fighting the dreaded S's since the turn of the year. Like yourself I would be a high single digit handicapper, but my round is completely gone if they come on. I walked off a golf course 2 months ago for the first time in my life, I'd lost 6 balls through complete shanks through 9 holes and when I saw the club house on the 9th green, I had enough, I was mentally broken. I was actually playing some of the best golf I played since the COVID break up to that point.

I'm a decent ball striker for 90% of the time, but I have some ingrained flaws that raise their heads ever now and then, and bring on a shank. Before I would have laughed it off, but now it's become such an issue that if I shank one, I mentally break and there's a strong possibility I could shank my next 4 or 5 shots, one after the other!

The only conclusion I can come to, is a complete swing rebuild. But finding the time to put in the work required to make the change is the killer. It may have to be done, as I will probably give up the game entirely if I continue with my current state of play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sorbet

Sorry to hear that. Coincidentally there was just released an excellent No Laying Up podcast on the topic this week. While it won’t be the fix I suspect it will give you some hope/make you feel a bit better about it passing.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭IrishOwl...

🤣🤣 2 or 3 of my mates sent me the link to it as soon as it was released. It was interesting to be fair, listening to the Pro's talk about them and how scared they're to mention the dreaded word!!! One thing that struck me was, both Scottie and Tiger spoke about how they laughed when they hit their shanks, however to them, it was crucial not to hit 2 in a row as that could cause real physiological damage.

I found that funny, like how good and pure these guys hit the ball, shanks are a 1 in a million shot for them, yet they still stress about the possibility of hitting 2 in a row if they hit 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭REFLINE1

i listened to it during the week, to be honest i was kind of afraid to keep listening, felt like it was planting the seeds deep in my brain somewhere that might come back to haunt me 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭bmc58

I understand your pain.Been there.Was a very good 12/13 h/c with a great short game.Suddently out of nowhere I started shanking short chips.Was a laugh in the begining for my long time playing partners ,but not for me.Gave up golf about a year later.Still miss the golf but not the embarassment of shanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 scotty_golf9

looking to get fit for new irons but im not going anywhere, where its hitting into a simulator. I no carton house have a range but is there anywhere else that are good ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

McGuirks in Kinsealy is hitting out into a range.

Same for Foregolf.

You're hitting off a mat in both though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,914 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ah lad don't give up, hit the range, get lessons.

Don't let it embarrass you, it's just a bad shot nothing more. Try to block it out, think positively.

minor treak in setup could make all the difference and you'll be back playing the game you love.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement