Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Heavy Showers in N Kildare now. Miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

….

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A very bleek Co.Mayo coastline looking out into the Atlantic. It was hard to stand up with wind .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

Its July in a few days. I'm not expecting much of an Irish summer but surely it should be better than this muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,101 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

i don't think it should be any better as it's ireland, but no matter how long you've lived here, it's such an awful time of year compared to the rest of europe that it still manages to shock us each time lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Jesus you lot would give a couple of Solpadeiene a headache

Cheer up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Its strange that when in the Uk they get bad summer weather, they have an attitude that they expect better, while over here nobody expects better, i guess its an interesting reflection of the different cultural psyc. Would explain also why we have such low standards, mental health issues, alcoholism and such rubbish services and infrastruture and that 3rd world shanty town kip aesthetic of the built envoirment. Have you ever noticed that silent look of despair in irish peoples eyes at the boarding gate before they return as anaemic porcelain faced ginger hair children run around screaming ,unaware of the muck hole they live in.

anyone that finds todays weather acceptable for late june has very low standards.

it always descends into fighting here too because the sh*t weather in summer drive people nuts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

People think I'm pessimistic at times but 9 times out of 10 I'm only reading what the weather charts are showing and looking at the charts over the past few days you need a stiff drink to get through it things are shaping up that poorly for the first half of July. This summer is about to take a turn for the worst as in not just chilly but also much more unsettled. June was chilly for the most part but at least it was relatively dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think we'll have to switch around our seasons! Summer will now be September and October 😀

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

September is nearly always guaranteed to have some very summery weather in it, a better bet than August most years. Almost as safe a bet as a 14C December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Very windy with some sunny spells in Celbridge. No rain as yet, but it's on the way, surely.

well england and wales usually get far better summers than here is the thing, i lived there for years and it's considerably better than dublin, never mind the rest of ireland.

this is also an annual discussion in here while everyone is pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cool 11 degrees at Knock on the Midday reports. June 27th. Shocking bad in all fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gilly1910

It must be bad in Galway today Cluedo, as there have been none of your usual extremely positive comments about the weather 😊 Very poor here in Dublin, quite cold cycling in this morning due to the wind, and currently chucking it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

so if you don’t like or comment on 12/13 degrees and rain in June you are miserable? Personally I think people who call 15 degrees glorious and wear shorts since April as bonkers. But it’s all about different views. I’m in the Greek islands this week low 30s during the day mid 20s at nice proper glorious weather for me anyway. Had a look at accu weather for my location at home and saw 14 degrees real feel 12. Sounds absolutely beautiful.

No, i'm calling out the end of days merchants who have written our Summer off.

Today's weather is sh!t. I'm freezing, my hands are blue and i'm indoors. But guess what, that's nothing new for a summers day in Ireland.

I'll be my last EURO we'll have at least 1 fine spell of fine weather before August is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

12.4 degrees in Galway and wind gusts up to 45mph on my station and it feels bitter cold in this wind from the N/W

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭OldRio

yeah but one fine spell of weather, which tends to mean 3 days really, before september is a really depressing prospect to many people. i tend to forget how bad it is every year until it happens again. so we come on here and vent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭pureza

Not too bad here in Arklow

Windy but 18c,sunshine,1 light showers so far

Just back from a walk and you could easily mistake today for mid October, leaves twirling in the air, small twigs falling onto the ground, loud wind, 13C and frequent squally showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I have some Spanish friends, when they come over here in summer (even in 19 degrees weather) they wrap themselves in warm winter coats and jeans. They find it very chilly. Thing is over here in summer it’s basically a gamble if you want to wear a tshirt, you always have to bring a spare jumper or jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭acequion

Ye can add me to the misery group, folks, as I'd be a major venter during this shite weather. In fact I'd be one of the very rowdy ones fighting left, right and centre and keeping the Mods busy issuing warnings to me, sorry Mods 😁

But I completely agree with the sentiments above. @KSE, shorts and delighted with 15C is equally bonkers to me. I need a minimum of 20C at the very least for summer clothes, do enjoy the Greek islands😃 @sqarecrcles, while I might not put it as bluntly as you, I agree with every word you say. The Irish tend to be very accepting of anything substandard for some strange reason and that includes the weather. There seems to be a thing in polite Irish culture where it's unseemly to complain and kick up a fuss. But there's no dressing up or glossing over how awful our summers can be, granted not all the time, but probably most of the time, with the odd exceptional good year.

Today is my first day in a while experiencing this awful cold muck as I came back last last weekend to nice weather. But today really is the pits, am just frozen 😲.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

The rain finally arrived in Celbridge, but it seems to have been shortlived, blowing over very quickly. A good few medium sized branches down around the place too.

Bizarre to me looking at so many people going around in shorts today - 16C and 70kmh gusts!

I couldn't agree and dis-agree with your post more! 😁

We/I don't accept substandard weather. People just get on with it. Wasted energy giving out. Weather is what it is.

It's not just the Iirsh either. You know yourself, when on holidays when it's cloudy or raining and people asking strangers in a panic when will the sun be back out. Or say they#ll never return to so and so because the weather was crap.

It's gas.

Anyway, i'll always be positive, regardless of what the weather is doing, as i said above, giving out is just wasted energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The rain is sideways, the wind is freezing, the trees are confused and seem to think Autumn has arrived shedding leaves. I’d put up with this for a day or two if there was any sign of heat or fine weather coming. But the weather is just taking the p*ss at this stage. There hasn’t been a warm settled spell of weather at all this year and that’s after an extremely wet 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

There are two types of people in weather threads. People who moan about the weather and like to complain (me) and those who moan about people moaning. The way I see it everyone gets to moan so everyone is happy.

Miserable day in the north east. I hate the wind. When will it be over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

AH lads stop moaning seriously 😒 it's end of June, we still have July, August and 1st half of September to go regardless of poor models lately doesn't mean summer is over 😑 where only 4 weeks in so cheer up please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wer on the edge of miles and miles of Atlantic. This dictates our weather and is generally full of cloud and mist. We have done quite well the past few years. This year I think August will be the best month. July ain't looking good.

Advertisement