Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mod: no memes, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Enzokk

New poster from the Conservatives is grim,

Seems like there are new depth to dive to for Sunak and the Tories. He seems to be quite a nasty person, with his debating style, policies and approving of these types of posters or lies. Hopefully the worst MRP polls are closer to the truth for the Conservatives, they deserve to be wiped out for allowing standards in politics to fall this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Is there no kind of standards commisioner, or watchdog, or anybody that can put an end to this absolute bollox?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Economist has officially backed Labour now. Interesting since the last time they did so was with Tony Blair. I doubt it will change much but it's noteworthy that such a prominent publication which usually backs the Conservatives isn't doing so now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I remember the first time I got a sense of his character. It was when he was running against Liz Truss for the leadership and they were in a TV debate. He got ridiculously prickly at the mildest bit of pushback from the host . Up until that point I only really knew him as the Chancellor who seemed popular for opening the financial spigots during Covid lockdown. This narkiness though seemed to show something else. An arrogance at being challenged. Likely someone who didn't like criticism. Maybe someone with a fragile ego. Possibly someone who had faced no real resistance in his career before.

After he became leader I tuned into the first PMQs. He had promised a new way of politics when campaigning to be leader. Instead though he immediately jumped straight into the Boris Johnson playbook of sneering comments about Starmer designed to placate the right-wing media. The sad thing about him is that that demographic never really saw him as one of their own no matter how often he repeated their inane culture war talking points.

He'll be no loss to British politics. He'll just be a mere footnote in history, saved from historical opprobrium by the two abominations that preceded him as PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Think politial adverts are specifically excluded from the remit of the advertising watchdog.

Worst I saw was one during the EU referendum that had pictures of refugees and a hangman's noose, and a tagline along the lines of "why spend £££ when £5 know will do". Perhaps mercifully I have been unable to find a copy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭PommieBast

For Starmer it was a bit of a knee-jerk. No doubt that people betting on themselves to win is rife.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

NI Minister claims he is waiting for a leadership opportunity after the election (if he gets elected)...

https://news.sky.com/story/election-2024-poll-sunak-starmer-debate-conservatives-labour-reform-lib-dem-12593360

Will many more reveal their leadership ambitions in the coming week (and will they get elected)?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Sunak doubles down and refuses to answer a question by Sam Coates as to wether he had informed Tory MP Craig Williams of the date of the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Polling suggests he hasn't got a hope in hell of getting elected; and that's a seat that Labour only held briefly after WWII otherwise - Tories held it (with a reasonable if not wildly secure majority) in 1997.

His campaigning from Greece thing, and comments about going powerboating if he loses the seat won't have appealed to a lot of voters; albeit he would have a lot of modern Mondeo Man voters who likely also want to go powerboating…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Never thought I would hate listening to anyone more than Boris Johnson, once he started his shtick, but the robot Sunak is quickly becoming way worse than even Johnson. Here he is trying to deflect on whether he told Craig Williams the date of the election, even when told there is no reason not to tell as he would not prejudice any investigations as they are not going to a jury as this will not go to a jury trial, and the robot starts going…

• Registered Users Posts: 21,319 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Whils't the betting is a different set of circumstances for Labour than it is for the Tories, nevertheless Starmer was correct to act. This is mainly because, the nuances involved might be missed by many and he couldn't attack Sunak, unless he moved himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Rightly or wrongly he may still have dug a massive hole for himself as by all accounts betting on yourself is rife across the political spectrum and now he has set the standard in my opinion far too high too quickly for what happens to those who do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Honestly, the word I think of when I think of Johnson is "waste". Had he chosen Remain in 2016 and dialled down the malevolence and racism, I think he'd be a Tory that progressives could vote for.

But this is just so squalid and cynical. You can tell that Sunak and his Oxbridge-educated advisors think they've been really clever to come up with the idea of using the inquiry as a shield when dealing with the media.

Then, there's stuff like this:

Richard Walker, the outspoken Iceland boss, has shared details of a contentious exchange with Prime Minister Rishi Sunak over food banks. 

The Daily Mirror reports that the heated conversation took place in 2022, during a meeting discussing Walker’s aspirations to stand as a Conservative MP.

Sunak accused Walker of making statements that were politically inconvenient when he spoke about the rising use of food banks. “Sunak told me he was shocked that I wanted to be a Tory candidate because he thought I was some Leftie,” Walker told the newspaper. “My remarks about food banks on the day of his Spring statement had put him in a tough spot.”

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2024/06/iceland-sunak/

The more I learn about him, the more loathesome to me he becomes. His cruelty in particular is galling.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Economist is as much a publication about politics as it is about finance & economics. This government has lost all political credibility. Not only that but since the last election they scored the massive economic own-goal that was the Truss mini-budget. Only the most naked of partisan publications (Telegraph & Express) that have already lost all credibility could back them in this election.

Not a good look for Farage, Channel 4 had an undercover reporter in his team campaigning in Clacton and caught them making some seriously racist remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

I bet Nigel Farage is shocked, shocked to discover that there are racists in the Reform party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What's the 'old bill' the yabbo mentions about the police?

Pride flag on the front of a police car it seemed to upset him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If that is a serious question, then here is the answer.

The 'old bill' is from rhyming slang* that goes back a long way. The word 'bill' is an abbreviation of 'bill hook' which rhymes with 'crook' as everyone knows that all member of the police are crooks.

*Rhyming slang originated in London prisons in Victorian times and was used by convicts to confuse the prison guards.

A single word of two words phrase is used but it is the second word that rhymes. Some examples make no sense today like 'on your Todd' meaning 'on your own' in memory of Todd Sloan or Slone - whoever he was. The term 'Barnet' refers to 'Barnet Fair' which rhymes with 'hair'. There are thousands more, but most are falling out of use. The basic idea is to only use the first word of the two word term, but it is the second word that rhymes, but modern use tends to use both words which gives away the rhyme, such as 'brown bread' meaning 'dead'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Was a serious question. Thanks for taking the time to answer it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sometimes a double rhyme is used. An example is 'arris' meaning 'arse' but since 'arse' is considered rude, a double rhyme is used. 'arris' rhymes with 'Aristotle', the Greek, which in turn rhymes with 'bottle and glass' which then rhymes with …. - well you get the idea.

The whole idea of rhyming slang is to be obscure and witty.

For example, the TV series 'The Sweeney' is named after the slang 'Sweeney Todd', the barber of Fleet Street, - or the 'Flying Squad' - a rapid response group of detectives of the Metropolitan Police who sped around London in Mark 2 Jaguars, trying to catch crooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

On UK social media, it's the party of choice for the racists and far right types : Farage knows full well who his supporters and voting base are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Everybody knows it but as long as they stick to eloquent and somewhat vague messaging, they can have a degree of deniability, as much as people know its bollocks.

What doesn't help them is people saying the quiet part out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Quoting a Reform candidate, do you have the court details?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It doesn't say that there were Labour members. Looks like fake news to me.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour and all 3 should be locked up. Like the bomb threats for Harris a politicians home should be off limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The event happened in early April, and was in court the same week. It's reported here, though that report (in the Jewish Chronicle) doesn't characterise the demonstrators as "anti-Israel", but as "pro-Palestine", a distinction likely to escape the notice of a Reform candidate. While the report does quote someone as saying that Lady Starmer was "effectively forced out of her own home", in fact she wasn't in the home at the time, and the protesters didn't communicate or engage with her in any way — there's nothing to suggest that they even recognised her when she turned up. The protest was non-violent. The specific demand was that Starmer should express support for an embargo on arms exports to either side in the conflict.

As the report - which Lloyd-Jones doesn't appear to have read - makes clear, the protesters were arrested, charged, tried and convicted. This hardly bears out the hyperventilating that "Britain is broken".

"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thats not how it works, some people can know things because they are more interested, anyway seems like the good Fr did have more facts to hand, question answered

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement