Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Would have been preferable to god knows what was in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

On the flip side; bad teeth, smoking, people looking old before their time.

The average person reaching retirement age back then were coughing and hacking, looked worn out like they were in their 70s or 80s. Now you see retirees powering up mountains and stuff.

Teeth getting all pulled out and falsers put in was a thing, esp before you got married.

Balding men with comb overs or still cultivating a short back and sides instead of getting rid of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Balding men with comb overs or still cultivating a short back and sides instead of getting rid of it all.

or getting a hair transplant, that option very much open now for men and thankfully the stigma around all that is going away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

People forget the difference getting rid of leaded fuel has had on health in urban areas worldwide. The smoky coal ban in Dublin too much improved people’s quality of life.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

I remember seeing older chaps with combovers, often with the hair stuck to the bald patch with at least half a tub of Bryllcreem.

A few of the older teachers in my secondary school (early 2000s, close to retirement age by that point) had combovers. It was comical seeing them either reffing a match in bad weather or running to class.

A couple of years after I left school I went to an Osmond gig with one lad from my class. One of them appeared on stage with a snow-white combover. We said he looked just like our old science teacher! We just starting chanting the teacher's name during the chorus of Crazy Horses instead of the actual lyrics!

I haven't seen a combover in quite a while. Nowadays it seems most guys just shave it all off. My hair is long enough to pull back into a ponytail, thus hiding the bald patch at the back. How long I'll get away with that I'll just have to wait and see how it goes I guess.

Speaking of teachers, I remember a lot of them coming to class late, smelling of stale booze and not really teaching us anything. Not that I blame them much, it's not as though I made their job easy…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rathfarnhamlad

Absolutely atrocious food.

Sometimes I miss the days when I could have a smoke inside a pub but on the flip-side there are now plenty of restaurants and takeaways offering much more choice then what was available back in the day. I consider that a fair swap!

but on the flip-side there are now plenty of restaurants and takeaways offering much more choice then what was available back in the day. I consider that a fair swap!

OOn the flip side all those nice take aways and restaurants leads to people over eating especially when they have sedentary jobs, many irish people are now overweight or obese, one of highest in Europe

Yes I remember that ,it peaked around 1985 and 1986, by the end everyone had one, they were very warm. Not sure why there was so much surplus from German army, they were great value too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

History is probably why they ended up here, couldn't see much demand for German army jackets in the rest of Europe, no matter how warm they were 🙂

• Advertisement

Probably in 1980s german army gear was still a bit taboo in Europe, that has largely been wiped clean now by the new nazis the Russian army and putin, nobody will touch anything with a Russian flag after this. Russia a terrorist state

Popular in uk too. Rodney in OFAH famously wore one.

Plus there was more of an inter family hand-me-down and second hand shop (pre charity/"vintage" store) scene.

Relatives living in uk sent cheap clothes back to the kids living in Ireland.

Nightclubs, especially ones in rural towns.

Almost always shíte, killed off by late bars and locals who didn't like noise.

Yea that's true they were always crap but were everywhere. Now they are mostly gone as a result of over regulation and compo culture, perfectly illustrated by maria Bailey and swing gate. Back in the day if you fell and hurt yourself when drunk it was your own tough luck. That's still the case in Spain and most of continent, they have a late night culture but its your own responsibility to look after yourself not the nightclubs unless it was gross negligence

That should be brought back, many countries in Europe like Germany and Spain have Sunday closure for retail, all the supermarkets are closed. It doesn't inconvenience that much as you make allowances for it but most importantly it gives retail workers a day off, why should they be penalised in comparison to say office workers. That way everyone can have a family day together or the youngsters can all meet up together on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

People only bathing on average once a week. They must have been stinking of BO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

I was thinking about that recently, growing up in the '60's & '70's many people only had a bath on a Saturday evening but a good all over wash every morning at the sink. I don't remember being aware of BO from the average person, there was always a few that you would stay well away from but in general it seemed OK (from my memory anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭dasdog

Probably because even if you were a kid at the time your sense of taste and smell was inhibited by a layer of tar from second hand cigarette smoke. Cars were the worst with windows rolled up and one, two or even three people smoking away.

An upstairs or back room the owner had painted black and stuck in a few cheap strip lights and mirrors and called it a "Nightclub" and charged extra for the privilege. The vast majority of them were rubbish and no great loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭thereiver

Local video rental shops they had maybe a few 100 videos for rent before xtravision started choosing vhs or beta vcrs

Vhs eventually became the standard format there was also hddvd versus blue ray disk players

• Advertisement

Tv stations would close down at midnight and show teletxt pages people rented PS2 consoles and game cartridges for Nintendo consoles .there used to be a large selection of tech magazines and gaming magazines for Xbox PlayStation and pc before broadband replaced most magazines

Magazines with demo discs for PC or console on the front short demos of the latest games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Archeron

Very true, i waited through far too many siblings before the muppet jumper became mine. Clothes must have been much sturdier back then.

I also remember when softness was not a requirement when making towels. Some of them were like drying yourself with sandpaper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And radio stations too. Come home late and turn on the radio and go to sleep use it like an alarm clock as it wouldn't be back on till 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

M&S specifically mentioning hand me down quality in their latest add so not quite dead yet.

Oh for yesteryear towels, at least they dried you, modern towels are sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Getting stuck behind a Telecom Éireann van. They were always crawling along to wherever they were going. The local guy would park up at the exchange near us and you regularly see him sound asleep in the van.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

Getting stuck behind a P&T van was worse, they were even slower!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The 1st video rental I saw was a van that used to come around the estate once a week. Looking back I assume it was all pirated stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I go back further to when Telecom Eireann was the P&T. (Department of Post and Telegraphs)

I worked around the corner from a P&T van depot and most days from about 3pm onward, the vans would start to park up on the roadside, out of sight of the yard gate, so that they could roll up in convoy to clock off at 5pm. I am sure the bosses knew, but the unions were so strong that nothing could be said.

I worked for a private telecom firm and we once installed our own equipment in a main Dublin city centre P&T exchange building. There was a tea making station (Kettle) set up at nearly every corner, with lads sitting around having the chats…. all day. I asked what the bosses said about that and was told that they were not allowed in the building and undertook their management duties remotely, from offices located in another building.

I was also involved with pirate radio at the time (70's and 80's) when the P&T were responsible for closing stations down …. while some of their engineers were building and selling transmitters, some of their staff were pirate radio DJ's in their spare time and their postmen dutifully delivered fan-mail to the stations every day.

Only in Ireland …..

• Advertisement

Back in the 80s mtv used to play music videos. Now it's mostly reality tv programs .some video library's used to have a section for adult films .you could look at a list and choose a film to rent .I wonder if there a warehouse somewhere full of old vhs films .most video shops closed down as they could not compete with xtravision

Advertisement