Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you feel about a prison being built in your area?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

In theory, our very own Alcatraz. Visitors could make it into a little holiday!

(however, Lambay Island is privately owned).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭StormForce13

Indeed it is, thought crime at its very worst!

But not to worry, because Ireland's greatest ever Minister for Justice is soon going to make that a criminal offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

NIMBYs are just people who live far away from you when they get concerned that something is happening that they dont like right beside them. Chances are most people would be the same as them but for the fact its far away from them.

Better in someone elses backyard than my own is my motto.

To get back on topic though, they really need to get the finger out and build that supermax prison they spent all the money on out in coolquay.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'd wouldn't have a problem at all. It's a shopping centre or pub/nightclub that I'd have issues with.

We need more prison spaces for the criminals in this country who make life hell for others and worse, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Government already owns most of Inishvickillane, buy the rest and turn it into the Charlie Haughey memorial prison.

We'd need a decent surplus of space, and not just "just enough".

We build a new one to cover the overcrowding and it'd fill up quickly, the first lot of who'd be sent there instead of suspended sentences would get a big surprise but then we're back where we started after that.

we'd need enough space that it'd have a cultural change, that the idea of easy suspended sentences would be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

**** you and your sensible posting, you should be first for the gillotine , Guillermo, Gilotine ,……. the thing to chop your head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know, I know 🤷‍♂️ Come the revolution? I'm fecked😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

I wouldn't want it but I'd accept it if the govt pinky promised to actually punish violent crime, scumbag behaviour, thuggery, and serious white white-collar offenders in said prison....in a way that they would find unpleasant..and clearly demonstrated in advance that this was the direction of travel so that there might be some form of deterrent for being an antisocial cretin in the system

**** right off if its a day care centre with scum walking in and out of it freely or not getting there in the first place because the sentences were suspendedor ridiculously lenient in the first place.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Op question is a mute point imho, as we have more than enough free space in this country for a prison to be in no-ones back yard.

But we definitely need more prisons, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

"None of ye seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you………you're locked in here with me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

where did they say they don't like travellers? They said the place looks like a halting site after 2 families of travelers moved in. maybe there were other travelers in the area before that and the place didn't look like a halting site until these two families moved in.

We had a drug dealer down near us, he was no problem for the neighbourhood, no one complained, but then another drug dealer moved in a bit away, he was bringing lots of scumbags to buy from him at his house, then the two of them were put under strict surveillance and both were jailed and evicted.

Id have no problem with anyone moving near me, as long as they don't make the neighbourhood unsafe or unhygienic and unsightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Exactly. The person complaining must have had some prejudice in their minds to assume that a what a halting site looked like. I wonder how that could happen.

Advertisement